Richard III (1452-1485): Discovery of Remains and Reburial

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
20,000 :ohmy:

Goodness I honestly didn't think that many people were bothered about Richard III,guess I was wrong!

People coming into my library returning and checking out Philippa Gregory's books are talking about this as well.

For those interested in reading books about Richard III I can recommend Josephine Tey's "The Daughter of Time", a modern police's investigation of the murder of the princes in the Tower, and "The Sunne in Splendour" by Sharon Kay Penman, a historical novel with Richard III as the main character.

For those interested in reading books about Richard III I can recommend Josephine Tey's "The Daughter of Time", a modern police's investigation of the murder of the princes in the Tower, and "The Sunne in Splendour" by Sharon Kay Penman, a historical novel with Richard III as the main character.

My copy of "The Daughter of Time" should be in my mailbox tomorrow so I know what I'll be doing tomorrow night. :)

What is totally amazing to me is to think that this discovery of Richard III's bones in a parking lot has probably drawn more interest from more people than he ever met in his lifetime.

The Phillipa Gregory books about this period are also good. The current one is "The Kingmakers Daughter". Previous books have been The Red Queen, The White Queen & "Lady of the Rivers".

As he was buried with RC rites in an RC church in Leicester that is where he should be reburied now.

I disagree with you. Richard considered Middleham to be his home and the people of Yorkshire considered him their Prince. His remains should be returned to York. Middleham is just a little village now and probably would not welcome the increase in "gawkers"!

Alison Weir, a very good biographer, has also written "The Princes in the Tower" for those who would like an accompaniment along with Josephine Tey.

Anything to do with Sarum (modern Salisbury) fascinates me. My husband and I ended up there unexpectedly when we went to see Stonehenge while my husband was on a business trip for Boeing. We loved the cathedral and the cathedral close, and I started to read all the books connected with Sarum which were popular, the mystery series by Susan Howatch and the great novel "Sarum". I think doing the Sarum Rite would be dandy for Richard. I'm not familiar with it, but sounds like a good idea. Very medieval. Wonderful.

What about a tomb? Does somebody raise money for appropriate king's tomb?

Duke of Gloucester’s concern for Richard III’s 'dignity'
Richard III was also the Duke of Gloucester and his present day successor in the role is, naturally, taking a close interest in what will become of the remains of the monarch after they were discovered beneath a council car park in Leicester. “It is up to the University of Leicester, whose archaeologists found the remains, what happens to them now, but the Duke is keen to ensure that they are treated with the utmost dignity,” a courtier tells me. “It follows that he wants any reinterment to be a solemn affair and he would like to be involved with this event.”
I still do hope York is selected over Leicester.

York Minster has said he should stay in Leicester and that I feel sure is where he will end up staying.

Oh, phooey on York Minster for saying so! That is really where he belongs. There or at Middleham Castle. Leicester was enemy Stanley country; I'm sure he'd hate being laid to his final, proper rest in the territory of his betrayer. And I would like to see a real, royal funeral and a Catholic ceremony...it's the least they can do for him. Glad to hear that HRH the Duke of Gloucester wants to be involved...perhaps he can bring some royal influence to bear on his cousin HMTQ.

I'm still hoping that York Minster will be Richard's final interment.

:previous:
It looks like there is still hope. :)

A York MP Calls for King Richard III to be Buried in York
York Central MP Hugh Bayley raised the issue of the reburial of King Richard III in Parliament in a question to the Church Estates Commissioner, Sir Tony Baldry. Mr Bayley asked him whether he would meet with representatives from York and Leicester to discuss King Richard’s burial. Sir Tony pointed out that Mr Bayley had secured an Adjournment Debate to discuss Richard III’s reburial and the licence issued by the Ministry of Justice. This debate will take place next week on Tuesday 12 March. Mr Bayley will make the case that the Government should reconsider where King Richard should be laid to rest. He will be supported in the debate by Julian Sturdy, the MP for York Outer.

York Minster is not RC. The issue is complicated by the reformation which is post Richard III. I dont like the factions, I prefer that his beliefs and allegiances should be taken into account. So on that basis - Catholic and York.

There must be a Catholic church in York? I would not have any idea. But there must.

There must be a Catholic church in York? I would not have any idea. But there must.

There is, nothing high profile like the Minster obviously. There is a church a few metres from the Minster which is RC.

Leicester Cathedral is not RC either, it's COE.

Richard was never known as 'Richard of Leicester', but as 'Richard of York', indeed Leicester was part of the holdings of the Stanley family {his nemesis @ Bosworth}. He has been in Leicester long enough, and i hope the decision is revised, and he is accorded a Catholic burial in York , which would be in accordance with his faith, and geographical preference.

Obv York Minster would be ideal, but since it is CoE now, the Catholic church close by would be the next best option. To bury someone 'out of their faith' seems {imo} completely wrong, and if they do that, i had rather they had left him in the car park....

Richard's already had a Catholic funeral, he doesn't need another one. In fact, he doesn't need another funeral, IMO, just an appropriately sombre reinterment ceremony and a decent grave. I know his original burial was slapdash to say the least, but we shouldn't seek to right that wrong because no matter what we do, we simply can't.

Richard was Catholic at a time when every English citizen was required by law to be RC. To be anything else was not only illegal but a death sentence. Plenty of Roman Catholic English royals currently repose within Church of England cathedrals etc. Richard III will simply be another on the list.

Richard's already had a Catholic funeral, he doesn't need another one. In fact, he doesn't need another funeral, IMO, just an appropriately sombre reinterment ceremony and a decent grave. I know his original burial was slapdash to say the least, but we shouldn't seek to right that wrong because no matter what we do, we simply can't.

Richard was Catholic at a time when every English citizen was required by law to be RC. To be anything else was not only illegal but a death sentence. Plenty of Roman Catholic English royals currently repose within Church of England cathedrals etc. Richard III will simply be another on the list.

I would suggest that as this is something that is unprecedented, it might be a good option to maybe recreate the time period where Richard lived and died in. I suggested in post #179 that he be reinterred with the Sarum Mass which was in use at the time of his death. Would it be too weird to consider a concelebrant ceremony with both RC and CoE officiating? Religion put to the side, Richard III is and was a Monarch and has his place forever in the history books. What better time than this to emphasize his life and the conditions around him?

^^^^
It is not as if he is a national hero or has an especially stellar reputation.

^^^^
It is not as if he is a national hero or has an especially stellar reputation.

You do have to admit though there's quite an aura of mystery surrounding this man though. :D

I think that's a marvelous idea, Osipi, and one that I hope will be taken into consideration. I think a special occasion calls for a special ceremony, and a concelebratory ceremony might be an answer. I just hope it takes place in York Minster!

Again, there is an endless fascination with this monarch who is shrouded in mystery and controversy, but giving him the benefit of the doubt, he should be reinterred with the pomp and dignity accorded a monarch. It's not every day one finds a king buried in a parking lot!

Last edited:

Why not just put him back where he was, under the car park and plonk a blue plaque on top "Richard III Lies Here", after all that is where he has been for 500 years.
Seems pretty stupid to have supporters of 2 Anglican cathedrals fighting over old bones and the idea of "relatives" weighing in on the bones human rights is even odder.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom