Richard III (1452-1485): Discovery of Remains and Reburial

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About 306,000 people go missing each year in Scotland, Wales and England. Of those about 116,000 go missing more than once in the recorded time period (2012-2013.) These would include very elderly dementia-ridden men and women, youthful runaways, and people disappearing for a while from bad marriages. Not all the missing are missing for sinister reasons, (some just don't want to be found,) and different police forces use different methods of collating missing persons.

As far as Richard III is concerned, I am sorry that he will not be given a Requiem Mass. It's catering to 21st century sensibilities, IMO, to have a multi-denominational ceremony, for a man who knew nothing but the Roman Catholic tradition.

About 306,000 people go missing each year in Scotland, Wales and England. Of those about 116,000 go missing more than once in the recorded time period (2012-2013.) These would include very elderly dementia-ridden men and women, youthful runaways, and people disappearing for a while from bad marriages. Not all the missing are missing for sinister reasons, (some just don't want to be found,) and different police forces use different methods of collating missing persons.

As far as Richard III is concerned, I am sorry that he will not be given a Requiem Mass. It's catering to 21st century sensibilities, IMO, to have a multi-denominational ceremony, for a man who knew nothing but the Roman Catholic tradition.

Yet another reason I love the Royal Forums - I never fail to learn new things. It turns out the US and UK count missing people very differently. In the US, we try to ignore the issue, or at least it seems that way from the abstemious way we count our missing. The UK should be proud of its transparency on this issue, again IMHO.

Week of live broadcasts of Richard III’s burial to be shown on Channel 4:

"It has been announced that Channel 4 will be following the reburial of Richard III’s remains with a number of live broadcasts of the last Plantagenet King’s re-internment later this month.

Channel 4, who were the broadcasters to produce the award-winning documentary Richard III: The King in the Car Park, and were the ones to reveal to the nation the discovery of the King’s long-lost remains, will be the only channel to show the procession of Richard’s remains live on television.
Prior to the reburial service in Leicester Cathedral on Thursday 26th March, Richard’s remains will begin a five-day journey on Sunday 22nd, where The King will be taken on a procession, following the last journey that he took before being killed at Bosworth Field in 1485.

Through three live programmes during this journey, Channel 4 will broadcast the ceremonies that will take place prior to his reburial and during the re-interment. Jon Snow, Krishnan Guru-Murthy, Arthur Williams and Sonali Shah will all be presenting the three broadcasts."

Week of live broadcasts of Richard III’s burial to be shown on Channel 4

Perhaps she was one of those noblewomen who were benefactors to the Church and Abbey. Quite a few would retire to comfortable quarters in a convent in their widowhood, but this doesn't seem to be the case here!

Oops. They did not "share" a grave. She was buried in "a different part of the friary" and about 100 years before the King. But, yes - the dig at the friary continues.

I wonder if we will ever find out who she was? Some have suggested its Ellen Luenor who co founded the friary with her husband Gilbert who died around 1250.

A papal dispensation would have been required but... they weren't that hard to get for royalty - just offer to build some monasteries or pay some money to the church and it was usually granted.

Before Richard III could have married Princess Elizabeth, would not a papal dispensation have to have been given?
The Princess, the bride, is the niece by blood and Richard, the groom, is the uncle by blood, her father's brother.
Yes, but Richard had no plans to marry his niece. On the contrary, he was negotiating a marriage with Princess Joana of Portugal, sister of the King of Portugal. A marriage of Elizabeth with the king's cousin, and eventual successor, was part of the package. IMO, it was quite convenient for the rumor mongers to change "Marriages for the King and the Lady Elizabeth" to "marriage of the King TO the Lady Elizabeth" in that summer before Bosworth when rumors were part and parcel of the Tudor campaign for the throne. I know I keep posting this, but this old story keeps turning up like a bad penny.

I'm hoping there will be live coverage of this unique event and that someone will be kind enough to post a link here?

Richard already had a funeral in 1485. Does Ricardian Philippa Langley want him to receive a second one! I think she's besotted!

I really hope there will be plenty of pix of the event on Monday

Richard III: A hero maligned by Shakespeare - Telegraph
History has not dealt justly with the posthumous reputation of our last Plantagenet king. Many commonly held ideas about him emanate not from historical study, but from William Shakespeare.

His play, 'Tragedy of King Richard the Third’, first performed in 1633, is a splendid piece of drama, depicting the king as a monster, the devil incarnate, who enjoys a murderous climb to the throne – yet the known facts simply don’t support this version of events.

Richard III: A common criminal - Telegraph
When the twisted bones of King Richard III are laid to rest in a magnificent modern tomb in Leicester Cathedral, it will be with all the pomp and ceremony that England’s Church and State are still capable of bestowing.

But does our most controversial King deserve the honour? The huge upswell of interest aroused by the finding of his skeleton under a council car park, and the controversy over where to re-bury him, have obscured the most salient fact about the wretched little man. He was, in modern terms, a psychopathic serial killer who eliminated his imagined enemies: friend and foe, adult and child, with the merciless ruthlessness of an Ian Brady or a Peter Sutcliffe.

Last edited:
The King's final journey - live - King Richard III in Leicester

Ceremony fit for a king: Remains of Richard III begin five day journey to final resting place 500 years after he fell in battle | Daily Mail Online
Richard III has started the journey to his final resting place, more than 500 years after his death in battle.

The remains of the last Plantagenet King have left the University of Leicester, whose archaeologists discovered the king buried under a council car park in 2012, after the first of a series of ceremonies.

He is now making his way through the Leicestershire countryside to Bosworth battlefield where he fell in battle against Henry Tudor in 1485.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom