The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like that tomb design - but then I like modern architecture. Not sure how it will be received by others.
The Tudor rose on the floor is excellent.

“The two important things I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavor is taking the first step, making the first decision"Robyn Davidson
Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I like that tomb design - but then I like modern architecture. Not sure how it will be received by others. The Tudor rose on the floor is excellent.
The rose is a white York rose, not a Tudor rose. I can't help but think that given who Richard was and how he died that a Tudor rose would be an inappropriate addition to his tomb....

Old 11-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^Well, I guess if you look at it through a skewed perspective, if that were a Tudor rose Richard would then be subjugating it with the placement of his tomb atop it. He finally conquered the Tudors after all!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Royal Highness

Is it still 5 quid for the first four hours parked over His Majesty?
Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, I guess if they toss in the towel over where and how to bury Richard, maybe they will reinter him back in the car park. Special rates apply for the parking space over his site.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Royal Highness

A true early bird special, Baroness.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:36 AM
Serene Highness

I watched the Kennedy special on PBS last night and tonight, and they emphasized how much was the pain that Jack Kennedy was in from his back. He lived on steroids and pain killers and other pills which would have eventually thinned his bones and put him in a wheelchair--he had Addison's disease. But he took all those pills so he could keep going and looking vigorous. Sounds like the story of Richard III and his military leadership in spite of his back pain.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Is it still 5 quid for the first four hours parked over His Majesty?
I hope the meter turns over before 4 hours. I'll need a place to park when I visit his tomb. I think they should limit it to an hour, maybe 2 so I can grab lunch.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:19 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
I watched the Kennedy special on PBS last night and tonight, and they emphasized how much was the pain that Jack Kennedy was in from his back. He lived on steroids and pain killers and other pills which would have eventually thinned his bones and put him in a wheelchair--he had Addison's disease. But he took all those pills so he could keep going and looking vigorous. Sounds like the story of Richard III and his military leadership in spite of his back pain.
Ah, but JFK's back was injured in combat in WWII and it very nearly crippled him. Scoliosis is very different and even in cases like Richard's there isn't necessarily much pain - especially when you're young. Richard's wasn't so extreme that he couldn't function almost normally, and indeed he obviously did function quite well - and no one made mention that the King wasn't physically fit. Indeed, before Bosworth no one seemed to notice anything other than one shoulder being slightly higher than the other. If he had lived into his fifties or sixties arthritis probably would have become an issue but as he was still only 32 when he died the scoliosis probably didn't bother him that much. In fact, the armor he wore probably actually helped, like a back brace.

Like Richard's, my scoliosis began as a pre-teen when I began my final growth spurt. Had there not been screening at my junior high school I may have never known I had it even though my double-curvature is nearly 28 degrees each way and spiraled/twisted. Although now at 52 I do have a little discomfort now and then, one of my main problems is that because my ribcage is somewhat "sprung" on one side, certain foundation garments containing wires are more uncomfortable for me than most.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Richard III Battle of Bosworth painting goes on show

BBC News - Richard III Battle of Bosworth painting goes on show
Old 11-19-2013, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

That is quite a dramatic and terrifying depiction of Richard's last stand with all the soldiers and weapons surrounding him. I had read in Philippa Langley's book that based on examination of the wounds to his skull, when he was knocked off his horse and overcome on foot the death blows to his head were administered. A chilling interpretation by the artist.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@Tinglepolitics: Judicial review of decision to let Richard III remains be reburied in Leicester instead of York to be launched next Tuesday in High Court
Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From the BBC

BBC News - Giving Richard III a reburial fit for a medieval king
Old 11-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

What a fascinating article, An Ard Ri. What luck that these rites were discovered and that Richard will hopefully have the ritual ceremony of his times for his reburial. It's just so fitting. It's also somewhat poignant as well since he attended the reburial for his father and brother. I wonder if the Richard III Society will host a post-burial banquet afterward, with its own version of a meal of capons, cygnets, herons and rabbits.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
What a fascinating article, An Ard Ri. What luck that these rites were discovered and that Richard will hopefully have the ritual ceremony of his times for his reburial. It's just so fitting. It's also somewhat poignant as well since he attended the reburial for his father and brother. I wonder if the Richard III Society will host a post-burial banquet afterward, with its own version of a meal of capons, cygnets, herons and rabbits.
Yes the BBC seem to be rather good when it comes to Richard III,they nearly have 1 per week!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Heir Apparent

But it still hasn't been decided whether he's be reinterred in York or Leicester, correct? The jury's still out on that one, I think.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
But it still hasn't been decided whether he's be reinterred in York or Leicester, correct? The jury's still out on that one, I think.
Its still ongoing as per the BBC

BBC News - The court battle for King Richard III's remains
Old 11-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Court battle over burial of Richard III adjourned!

BBC News - Court battle over burial of Richard III adjourned
Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe Dr. Buckle who found the medieval rites for reburial can go back and discover a letter by Richard designating where he intended to be buried. This would save a whole lot of headache if the king had made his wishes known.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Maybe Dr. Buckle who found the medieval rites for reburial can go back and discover a letter by Richard designating where he intended to be buried. This would save a whole lot of headache if the king had made his wishes known.

Given the fact that there are people who wish to ignore the wishes of Prince Philip over not having a state/royal funeral - on this board as well as elsewhere - why should the wishes of a man who died over half a millenia be taken into account.