Richard III (1452-1485): Discovery of Remains and Reburial

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fascinating indeed. Looking forward to seeing the documentary.
"...nothing hidden that will not be disclosed", indeed...
[Luke 8:17]

Academics from the University of Leicester are currently announcing whether the bones they found belonged to Richard III. It's live on BBC News and Sky News, available in the usual places for those overseas.

They certainly aren't underselling it! We're getting lots of detail when all we want to know is if it's RIII or not! They claim what they've discovered is "absolutely astonishing".

The DNA indicates that the skeleton is that of Richard III. He will be re-interred at Leicester Cathedral, which is in keeping with accepted archeological practice of burying remains in the nearest sacred site to where they were found, and the instructions of the Ministry of Justice.

Well done to all at the University of Leicester.

Last edited:
The remains are to be reinterred at Leicester Cathedral and a special visitors' exhibition is to be put in place next year.

Last edited:
A fantastic achievement by all involved. The curvature of the spine is quite astonishing. Without it Richard III would've stood 5'8 which is above average for a medieval male, but the curvature meant he was actually considerably shorter. He also apparently had a very slim, almost feminine build. The skull showed 8 injuries, mainly caused by a weapon with a blade as opposed to arrows.

It'll be interesting to see the facial reconstruction on the documentary tonight. I'm out this evening but have the Sky+ ready to go!

:previous:
I agree with you; Richard III lived and died a Catholic and that should be respected. I very much doubt he will be buried in an Anglican ceremony.

No, as it was pre-reformation, he was a West-"Roman" Christian as opposed to a "Orthodox or East Roman" Christian. Many changes to the Catholic rituals happened after the reformation. IMHO best would be an ecumenical burial or a CoE one because his successor as monarch is the Head of the CoE and can decide what to do in today's time.

This is so interesting!

I find the discovery of his remains and the new details that are emerging about his life and reign to be endlessly fascinating.

Have any results from examining his remains been published? I mean in regards to cause of death? (A swift kill contrary to the common fate on medieval battlefieds - hacked to death).
His height? Build? They can tell so much from bones nowadays.

My general impression from reading about his reign is that he was basically too honest (or naive if you will) to be a good politician and being able to navigate safely in the brutal politics of the day. - Or am I completely off the mark?

Fascinating... I am so looking forward to a reconstruction !!!!

Have any results from examining his remains been published? I mean in regards to cause of death? (A swift kill contrary to the common fate on medieval battlefieds - hacked to death).
His height? Build? They can tell so much from bones nowadays.

The BBC summed up the findings of the University of Leicester:

• Wealth of evidence, including radiocarbon dating, radiological evidence, DNA and bone analysis and archaeological results, confirms identity of last Plantagenet king who died over 500 years ago
  • DNA from skeleton matches two of Richard III's maternal line relatives. Leicester genealogist verifies living relatives of Richard III's family
  • Individual likely to have been killed by one of two fatal injuries to the skull - one possibly from a sword and one possibly from a halberd (EIIR - a combined spear/battle-axe)
  • Ten wounds discovered on skeleton - Richard III killed by trauma to the back of the head. Part of the skull sliced off
  • Radiocarbon dating reveals individual had a high protein diet - including significant amounts of seafood - meaning he was likely to be of high status
  • Radiocarbon dating reveals individual died in the second half of the 15th or in the early 16th Century - consistent with Richard's death in 1485
  • Skeleton reveals severe scoliosis - onset believed to have occurred at the time of puberty
  • Although around 5ft 8in tall (1.72m), the condition meant King Richard III would have stood significantly shorter and his right shoulder may have been higher than the left
  • Feet were truncated at an unknown point in the past, but a significant time after the burial
  • Corpse was subjected to 'humiliation injuries' - including a sword through the right buttock
  • Individual had unusually slender, almost feminine, build for a man - in keeping with contemporaneous accounts
  • No evidence for "withered arm" - as portrayed by Shakespeare - found
  • Possibility that the individual's hands were tied
  • Grave was hastily dug, was not big enough and there was no shroud or coffin
BBC News - Richard III dig: DNA confirms bones are king's

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks, EIIR :flowers:

I knew he had scoliosis, but I wasn't certain that it was severe, so the Sheakspearian "hunchback-propaganda" wasn't completely off the mark.

And he was basically hacked to death, consistent with the autopsy of the skeletons found at Towton and Visby. The instant kill from one sword-trust, so popular in movies, is rare.

So he was dumped in a shallow grave. One account I read about years ago, claimed he was tossed in a nearby river. - Anyway, it's good he was found. He was after all king of England and it's only proper he should be laid to rest in a manner befitting a king.

Last edited:
This discovery really is absolutely fascinating!
A really great job on the part of everyone involved; in my opinion, Richard III deserves a proper funeral and resting place.

DNA tests confirm remains found in a Leicester car park belong to Richard III
Forensic test results announced on Monday confirmed the skeleton that had been found in a Leicester car park does indeed belong to Richard III who died in the Battle of Bosworth Field in 1485. Lead archaeologist Richard Buckley, from the University of Leicester, told a press conference to applause: “Beyond reasonable doubt it’s Richard.”

Last edited:
This whole effort is actually incredibly timely, as the BBC article points out:

A team of enthusiasts and historians traced the likely area - and, crucially, also found a 17th-generation descendant of Richard's sister (Anne of York) with whose DNA they could compare any remains recovered.
Genealogical research eventually led to a Canadian woman called Joy Ibsen. She died several years ago but her son, Michael, who now works in London, provided a sample.
The researchers were fortunate as, while the DNA they were looking for was in all Joy Ibsen's offspring, it is only handed down through the female line and her only daughter has no children. The line was about to stop.

So in another generation's time, the researchers would not have been able to confirm this connection.

You can hear an interview with Michael Ibsen on the CBC website. He and his siblings hope to attend the funeral of their 17x great uncle (have I got that right?).

Canadians' DNA helps ID King Richard III's bones - Technology & Science - CBC News

This is amazing news and a what an astonishing discovery!

I never thought I'd see this, but on Twitter, Richard III is trending in NYC. That's pretty amazing, considering he lived and died over 700 years ago, before Christopher Columbus even left Spain. At least it shows all the conversation on Twitter isn't vapid, though I do love it a great deal.

:previous: Richard III. died in 1485 so that's exactly 528 years ago and not over 700 years ;) But it is fascinating indeed.

Thank you all for your excellent summaries and information. I'm so glad that Richard's remains were discovered and exhumed from an ignoble grave and will now be properly reinterred in a setting appropriate to his rank and status. The manner of his death was terrible for a monarch and I had heard a story, perhaps apochrypal, that his nude body was flung over a mule and was subjected to these humiliation blows. I really consider this one of the great archeological finds today and I hope this discovery will shed more light and interest on his character and reputation. Now if we can just discover exactly what happened to the Princes in the Tower and who their murderer was.....:whistling:

I hope a link can be posted for those of us who can't view this documentary.

Last edited:
I watched the documentary tonight on Channel 4 with my parents and brother and we found it very interesting. It was amazing to see that they 'struck gold' on the first day of the dig and also that from his bones they could tell what sort of diet he had!

We also did have a giggle at the expense of poor Phillipa Langley and how attached she seemed to someone she had never met. There seemed to be a real emotional connection which to be honest we found quite strange.

The 'R' painted on the carpark where they dug was spooky!

Was that to mark where the skeleton was buried? You can tell by my questions that I really need watch this!:lol:

Thanks, An Ard Ri, for the article. That was really a portentous sign and just so bizarre an occurrence. Makes you wonder if the dead king had a hand in directing matters.:ermm:

Thanks, An Ard Ri, for the article. That was really a portentous sign and just so bizarre an occurrence. Makes you wonder if the dead king had a hand in directing matters.:ermm:

It was rather spooky alright :D

Thank you so much for posting this. Richard was quite a handsome man, though the reconstruction doesn't portray him as worn-looking as in his portrait. He looks younger and more vibrant, albeit a bit calculating and sans the wrinkles with fuller lips. But certainly not sinister as generated by Tudor propaganda.

Anne St. Leger,Lady de Ross the niece of Richard III who's remains are buried St George's Chapel Windsor.

Anne St. Leger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This geneology is just so fascinating and it's amazing that Richard's line is extant into the 21st century through his sister/niece. It's too bad that the current descendants are the last two in his niece's line since they're both childless. I know there's the existing Plantagenant line in Australia through George, Duke of Clarence, Richard's brother, and his fraternal niece, Margaret de la Pole.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom