Richard III (1452-1485): Discovery of Remains and Reburial

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its a nice touch, having him make the coffin.. Shame the tomb design is ABORTIONATE !

The nicest comments I've heard from Ricardian sites are "stark" and "minimalist". What I can't understand is why did Leicester Cathedral spend money to commission a tomb design when Philippa Langely had already done so and had raised all the money to pay for it? Looking For Richard - The Tomb Design The design is beautiful, not over the top, and dignified, containing symbols and mottoes that meant something to Richard. And did I mention paid for?

This is absolutely ridiculous!!! Never have I seen a picture of a Medieval armour painted white. They didn't paint them. The only thing they did was treat the armour to make it blueish/blacking, if the owner so ordered.
I wonder if the paints they had at the time (made of egg-tempera & and early oilpaints) would have held on the metal.
I will ask my Living History friends.

Just wonder if someone could be speaking Ricardian if they said 'Lucy, you got splainin' to do!".
Sorry... I just had to say it..
We now return you to your regular schedule of posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was interesting to learn a new vocabulary word: Ricardians (Richard-lovers).
Same etomology as "Elizabethan," "Georgian" or "Jacobean". Ricardians are those who study the life and times of Richard (in this case RIII).:flowers:

King Richard III will be reburied at Leicester Cathedral | Royal | News | Daily Express

RichardIIIRoyalArmssmall.jpg

Royal Arms of Richard III

Funeral service for King Richard III and reburial at Leicester Cathedral

THE body of King Richard III will be reburied at Leicester Cathedral in March 2015.
A reinterment service will take place at the cathedral on March 26 following a week of events in Leicestershire to honour the monarch.

Sunday 22 March 2015

The remains will be transferred into a lead-lined coffin at Leicester University and will travel by hearse to Bosworth for a day of events marking the king's final movements. The journey will see the hearse travel through villages that were significant to the monarch's final days ahead of a service in Bosworth.

The coffin will then return to Leicester Cathedral in the early evening where a service of reception will be attended by guests invited by David Monteith, the Dean of Leicester.

Monday 23 to Wednesday 25 March

The monarch's remains will then lie in repose, his coffin covered with a commissioned pall, for three days to allow for members of the public to pay their respects.

Thursday 26 March

§ The reinterment service, which will also be invite only, will take place.

§ The service will be broadcast live on Channel 4.

Friday 27 and Saturday 28 March

A series of commemorative events and activities will take place.

The Bishop of Leicester, the Rt Revd Tim Stevens said: "Our cathedral has been consistently committed to providing a fitting, dignified and memorable ceremony for the reinterment of King Richard. "We can now see how this works out in detail and our city and county look forward to all the events of next spring."

:englandstandard:

Leicester Cathedral

LeicesterCathedral.jpg

Image courtesy of Wikipedia.
This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.

Richard III: The New Evidence- Tonight- 9pm BST: Channel 4-
"In a world exclusive in February 2013, Channel 4 broadcast a film that followed the extraordinary hunt for Richard III: the king discovered, against all the odds, under a car park in Leicester.

Since then, for the first time, scientists have been able to subject the skeleton of an English king to intense scrutiny and analysis, allowing them to reassemble his life in fascinating detail.

Using the latest scientific techniques, experts at the University of Leicester and beyond have been able to work out the extent to which his potentially extreme spinal deformity would have affected his ability to be the warrior king famed for leading the charge at the Battle of Bosworth.

They have also pieced together his diet and revealed his lifestyle in his final years, with surprising results.

The scientists have been helped in their investigations by a living body double who volunteered to test their theories via practical experiments and reconstructions.

Dominic Smee, who suffers from the same form of scoliosis as Richard III and whose spine, with its 75-degree spinal curve, is deemed 'virtually identical' by the experts, agreed to collaborate with the scientists on a unique intensive physical programme to see how Richard's scoliosis would have affected his ability to wield a sword, wear armour, ride a horse and use a lance-"

Richard III: The New Evidence - Channel 4

Outside UK Viewers-
tvpc.com - Channel 4

Several of my re-enactorfriends helped filming this. They are very curious if they made it do the final cut. Given the level authenticity (or rather lack thereof) of the things concerning RIII, they probably will not. :-(

I watched the documentary last night and found it quite interesting. Richard III's scoliosis was very extreme - at first I didn't think he would have been able to go into battle because of it, although when Mr. Smee was tested on various gym equipment, he was able to do most of it and had better results in some than those without scoliosis. The only thing he had difficulties with was the treadmill.

Another article about Richard III: King Richard III ‘drank a bottle of wine a day’ - Telegraph

It's hardly surprising that Richard's diet changed the last two years of his life: he went from being a constanly-on-the-move representative of his brother to His Grace The King, with all the banquets, receptions, progresses etc. that that entailed. Even with the new diet, however, contemporary descriptions of Richard emphasize how slender he was and several mention that he actually ate and drank very little, even at official functions.

Back
Top Bottom