The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Put him back where they found him and be done with all this needless fuss.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:38 AM
Aristocracy

To put him back would be one solution lol!!. But seriously I don't think his descendants would like that. To be honest from what I have heard some members of the society are beginning to wish the same. People have known roughly from for quite a long time where Richard was buried, I suppose it was just a matter of time before someone with the drive and determination of Phillipa Langley came along to see if it was true.
I sometimes wonder if she now wished she had never bothered. Leicester seem to want to take all the credit for this themselves, and I suppose being an academic institution they will get away with it. :-)

Old 06-19-2013, 03:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
To put him back would be one solution lol!!. But seriously I don't think his descendants would like that.
As his only known descendants were his children, I doubt they would have anything to say about the matter.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Richard III: Updated skull replica to go on show

Loughborough University engineers have created a more detailed version of Richard III's skull | This is Leicestershire
Old 06-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
As his only known descendants were his children, I doubt they would have anything to say about the matter.
When I say descendants I do ,of course , refer to those who claim descent via Richard's sister,Anne of York, aka the Duchess of Exeter. For further information on this, may I refer members to the following book.

"The last days of Richard the Third and the fate of his DNA" by J. Ashdown-Hill
Old 06-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Put him back where they found him and be done with all this needless fuss.
What fun would that be? The next time I go to England, I don't want to be directed to a parking lot.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
What fun would that be? The next time I go to England, I don't want to be directed to a parking lot.
Not to worry, we will put one of our famous blue plaques over the parking spot "Richard III Sleeps here" so you tourists can have your picture taken next to it.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd consider it a journey well spent over the pond just to have my picture taken on the parking spot only if there's a big fat "R" painted there!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Not to worry, we will put one of our famous blue plaques over the parking spot "Richard III Sleeps here" so you tourists can have your picture taken next to it.
Would the blue plaque block the parking space? I would need somewhere to park.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Would the blue plaque block the parking space? I would need somewhere to park.
It would be above the parking space.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

It could say "you are currently parked over the final resting place of Richard III."
Old 06-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
It could say "you are currently parked over the final resting place of Richard III."
Making it the final parking spot?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, where King Richard is finally parked.....
Old 06-20-2013, 06:44 AM
Aristocracy

Ha ha ha, my friends in the society are going to love the last posts !!!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Aristocracy

More news on the head. It will be in the following locations,
Bosworth 11th June-16th July
Yorkshire museum 19th July - 13th October
Northampton 19thOctober - 5thJanuary
British museum 11thJanuary - 16thMarch.

Hope members find this of interest. As a friend as mine says hopefully they will not be touring the bones as well.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Edinburgh historian plans book on hunt for Richard III

Edinburgh historian plans book on hunt for Richard III | Herald Scotland
Old 07-02-2013, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Richard III site in Leicester to be excavated again

BBC News - Richard III site in Leicester to be excavated again
Old 07-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Edinburgh historian plans book on hunt for Richard III

Edinburgh historian plans book on hunt for Richard III | Herald Scotland
Phillipa Langley, of course :-)
Old 07-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Serene Highness

Artemesia, you are right that sometimes dna, including mDNA (maternal line) degrades sufficiently so that it can't be sorted. In the case of Richard III, when this story first broke they said he had J1c2 mDNA, with the fifth digit unclear, that is, probably C but possibly another letter such as B. Tonight I did quite a web search to see if they had finally found the fifth digit, or if it remained unclear. All articles I read (about 20) listed the mDna of Richard (and of his modern descendants Joy Ibsen and Michael Ibsen, down the female line) as simply "J" without further digits. I have read that "J" comprises about 2% of Europeans, although the ratio is higher in some ethnicities than others. One article I read tonight speaks of Plantagenet mDNA as being Richard's.
It also identifies the J mDna group as belonging to a relatively recent haplogroup which came from the Middle East about 10,000 years ago (I have read anything from 4,000 to 6,000 years as the date for the Haplogroup J to emerge, so 10,000 is an older date, showing that scientists are not completely agreed, if indeed agreed at all, on such matters as this).
My mDna is also J, and it corresponds to Richards first four digits, that is J1c2. My fifth digit is "B". So this remains a mystery as to whether I have the EXACT same mDna as Richard. In any case, there are many people with this mDna, and it was not the only factor used in identifying Richard's body. It was a "further proof" after genealogical and archaeological studies were made.
Scientists also have isolated a male Y Dna which may be Richard's, and a modern ancestor, a nobleman called Beaufort, who could provide proof of Richard's body's identity on the male line, if he would consent to be tested. So far Beaufort won't be tested.
In case anyone wonders about the mystery of how Michael Ibsen, a man, could be carrying matrilineal DNA from Richard, the mDNA goes from mother to daughter in unbroken line but does carry on to the final son in the line. Thus, my son has my mDNA but his children cannot have it, as he is the last in the line and I have no daughters. This really baffles me, how ancient DNA carries on so long--relying on direct mother-daughter descent over hundreds and even thousands of years. And then abruptly it stops with the birth of a son who has no sisters, such as Michael Ibsen and my son.

It is an amazing story that Richard's mDNA was discovered in Joy and Michael Ibsen just in time before his direct maternal ancestry stopped. There is still the Beaufort male line which could be tested. But I guess it has been amply proved by forensic archaeology and genealogy that the body is that of Richard III. There are other queries on DNA of other relatives of royals, and one of these is discussed in the article online called Plantagenet DNA.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Richard III Grave Reconstructed in 3D

Richard III Grave Reconstructed in 3D