The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Nobility

Richard was never known as 'Richard of Leicester', but as 'Richard of York', indeed Leicester was part of the holdings of the Stanley family {his nemesis @ Bosworth}. He has been in Leicester long enough, and i hope the decision is revised, and he is accorded a Catholic burial in York , which would be in accordance with his faith, and geographical preference.

Obv York Minster would be ideal, but since it is CoE now, the Catholic church close by would be the next best option. To bury someone 'out of their faith' seems {imo} completely wrong, and if they do that, i had rather they had left him in the car park....

Old 03-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Richard's already had a Catholic funeral, he doesn't need another one. In fact, he doesn't need another funeral, IMO, just an appropriately sombre reinterment ceremony and a decent grave. I know his original burial was slapdash to say the least, but we shouldn't seek to right that wrong because no matter what we do, we simply can't.

Richard was Catholic at a time when every English citizen was required by law to be RC. To be anything else was not only illegal but a death sentence. Plenty of Roman Catholic English royals currently repose within Church of England cathedrals etc. Richard III will simply be another on the list.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Richard's already had a Catholic funeral, he doesn't need another one. In fact, he doesn't need another funeral, IMO, just an appropriately sombre reinterment ceremony and a decent grave. I know his original burial was slapdash to say the least, but we shouldn't seek to right that wrong because no matter what we do, we simply can't.

Richard was Catholic at a time when every English citizen was required by law to be RC. To be anything else was not only illegal but a death sentence. Plenty of Roman Catholic English royals currently repose within Church of England cathedrals etc. Richard III will simply be another on the list.
I would suggest that as this is something that is unprecedented, it might be a good option to maybe recreate the time period where Richard lived and died in. I suggested in post #179 that he be reinterred with the Sarum Mass which was in use at the time of his death. Would it be too weird to consider a concelebrant ceremony with both RC and CoE officiating? Religion put to the side, Richard III is and was a Monarch and has his place forever in the history books. What better time than this to emphasize his life and the conditions around him?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
It is not as if he is a national hero or has an especially stellar reputation.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
^^^^
It is not as if he is a national hero or has an especially stellar reputation.
You do have to admit though there's quite an aura of mystery surrounding this man though.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that's a marvelous idea, Osipi, and one that I hope will be taken into consideration. I think a special occasion calls for a special ceremony, and a concelebratory ceremony might be an answer. I just hope it takes place in York Minster!

Again, there is an endless fascination with this monarch who is shrouded in mystery and controversy, but giving him the benefit of the doubt, he should be reinterred with the pomp and dignity accorded a monarch. It's not every day one finds a king buried in a parking lot!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Duke of Gloucester’s concern for Richard III’s 'dignity' - Telegraph
Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 AM
Courtier

Relatives of Richard III threaten legal action claiming his planned reburial in Leicester Cathedral is a breach of HUMAN RIGHTS | Mail Online
Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Aristocracy

The Richard III controversy may set precedents for the discovery and reburial of other lost/contested royal remains

The Richard III Funeral Controversy and 5 Unknown Royal Grave Sites | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 03-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Why not just put him back where he was, under the car park and plonk a blue plaque on top "Richard III Lies Here", after all that is where he has been for 500 years.
Seems pretty stupid to have supporters of 2 Anglican cathedrals fighting over old bones and the idea of "relatives" weighing in on the bones human rights is even odder.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I agree about the relatives bit: heck. I am a direct descendant of Richard's sister and niece but I doubt anyone is interested in my opinion. But I strongly disagree it doesn't matter where he is buried. Richard III was a King of England, a good or bad one is debatable; as such, he deserves a reburial that will signify that.

As for Leicester vs. York debate, personally I am firmly on the latter's side for various reasons, most of them already mentioned in this thread.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

I suppose it's only natural that Richard's relatives many times over would come out of the woodwork to put in their two cents', but I have to agree with them about the location of his tomb. And Richard being a King of England certainly deserves better than being reinterred back in the parking lot. Team York for burial!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynHarris View Post
The Richard III controversy may set precedents for the discovery and reburial of other lost/contested royal remains

The Richard III Funeral Controversy and 5 Unknown Royal Grave Sites | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Interesting,I wonder if there's much interest in finding any more long lost royal remains? During the Dissolution of the Monasteries many royal remains were lost and presumed destroyed.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:51 PM
Majesty

York didn't pay for the excavation, Leicester did. Leicester wins - they cared enough to find out to actually pay for the work to be done, to agree to the disruption to their city the excavation caused, and gave permission for it to happen.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Leicester paid for the excavation because the the car park was in Leicester. York would have paid if the car park was in York. That argument doesn't give an advantage to Leicester in anway.
Disruption to their city? You mean the closing down of a tiny car park? I'd bet nobody even knew what was going on until they actually found something.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Wonder who will be the first medium to contact Richard from the great beyond and find out what HE wants.

Actually from what I know, I would vote for York.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Wonder who will be the first medium to contact Richard from the great beyond and find out what HE wants.

Actually from what I know, I would vote for York.
No one can contact Richard the third because he has been dead for 500 years ......
Old 03-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudur rose View Post

No one can contact Richard the third because he has been dead for 500 years ......
Hence why a medium would be necessary
Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Somewhere in the middle of this debate we should remember that these are human remains that should be interred with due reverence, preferably in a church of this person's religion. I think that means Catholic and not Anglican.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Somewhere in the middle of this debate we should remember that these are human remains that should be interred with due reverence, preferably in a church of this person's religion. I think that means Catholic and not Anglican.
As EIIR already pointed out he's had a Catholic Funeral and if they want to bury him with the "majesty" he deserves, they're not going to find anywhere well known like Leicester Cathedral or York Minster as we happen to be a COE country now.