The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

Goodness I honestly didn't think that many people were bothered about Richard III,guess I was wrong!
People coming into my library returning and checking out Philippa Gregory's books are talking about this as well.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Serene Highness

For those interested in reading books about Richard III I can recommend Josephine Tey's "The Daughter of Time", a modern police's investigation of the murder of the princes in the Tower, and "The Sunne in Splendour" by Sharon Kay Penman, a historical novel with Richard III as the main character.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
For those interested in reading books about Richard III I can recommend Josephine Tey's "The Daughter of Time", a modern police's investigation of the murder of the princes in the Tower, and "The Sunne in Splendour" by Sharon Kay Penman, a historical novel with Richard III as the main character.
My copy of "The Daughter of Time" should be in my mailbox tomorrow so I know what I'll be doing tomorrow night.

What is totally amazing to me is to think that this discovery of Richard III's bones in a parking lot has probably drawn more interest from more people than he ever met in his lifetime.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:21 AM
Serene Highness

The Phillipa Gregory books about this period are also good. The current one is "The Kingmakers Daughter". Previous books have been The Red Queen, The White Queen & "Lady of the Rivers".
Old 02-13-2013, 02:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As he was buried with RC rites in an RC church in Leicester that is where he should be reburied now.
I disagree with you. Richard considered Middleham to be his home and the people of Yorkshire considered him their Prince. His remains should be returned to York. Middleham is just a little village now and probably would not welcome the increase in "gawkers"!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Royal Highness

A possible tomb for Richard III

BBC
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
A possible tomb for Richard III

BBC

Its a nice chest tomb,I wonder if they will raise the price tag of £30,000 through donations?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Alison Weir, a very good biographer, has also written "The Princes in the Tower" for those who would like an accompaniment along with Josephine Tey.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Serene Highness

Anything to do with Sarum (modern Salisbury) fascinates me. My husband and I ended up there unexpectedly when we went to see Stonehenge while my husband was on a business trip for Boeing. We loved the cathedral and the cathedral close, and I started to read all the books connected with Sarum which were popular, the mystery series by Susan Howatch and the great novel "Sarum". I think doing the Sarum Rite would be dandy for Richard. I'm not familiar with it, but sounds like a good idea. Very medieval. Wonderful.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Courtier

What about a tomb? Does somebody raise money for appropriate king's tomb?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
What about a tomb? Does somebody raise money for appropriate king's tomb?
See posts above regarding a tomb
Old 03-04-2013, 02:36 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Duke of Gloucester’s concern for Richard III’s 'dignity'
Quote:
Richard III was also the Duke of Gloucester and his present day successor in the role is, naturally, taking a close interest in what will become of the remains of the monarch after they were discovered beneath a council car park in Leicester. “It is up to the University of Leicester, whose archaeologists found the remains, what happens to them now, but the Duke is keen to ensure that they are treated with the utmost dignity,” a courtier tells me. “It follows that he wants any reinterment to be a solemn affair and he would like to be involved with this event.”
I still do hope York is selected over Leicester.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:41 AM
Majesty

York Minster has said he should stay in Leicester and that I feel sure is where he will end up staying.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 AM
Commoner

Oh, phooey on York Minster for saying so! That is really where he belongs. There or at Middleham Castle. Leicester was enemy Stanley country; I'm sure he'd hate being laid to his final, proper rest in the territory of his betrayer. And I would like to see a real, royal funeral and a Catholic ceremony...it's the least they can do for him. Glad to hear that HRH the Duke of Gloucester wants to be involved...perhaps he can bring some royal influence to bear on his cousin HMTQ.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
York Minster has said he should stay in Leicester and that I feel sure is where he will end up staying.
York Ministry said it had been agreed beforehand that should they find anything in Leicester, that's where the remains will stay.
That doesn't mean things couldn't change in future.

Leicester Now Virtually Certain to be Richard III’s Burial Place
Old 03-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm still hoping that York Minster will be Richard's final interment.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

It looks like there is still hope.

A York MP Calls for King Richard III to be Buried in York
Quote:
York Central MP Hugh Bayley raised the issue of the reburial of King Richard III in Parliament in a question to the Church Estates Commissioner, Sir Tony Baldry. Mr Bayley asked him whether he would meet with representatives from York and Leicester to discuss King Richard’s burial. Sir Tony pointed out that Mr Bayley had secured an Adjournment Debate to discuss Richard III’s reburial and the licence issued by the Ministry of Justice. This debate will take place next week on Tuesday 12 March. Mr Bayley will make the case that the Government should reconsider where King Richard should be laid to rest. He will be supported in the debate by Julian Sturdy, the MP for York Outer.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

York Minster is not RC. The issue is complicated by the reformation which is post Richard III. I dont like the factions, I prefer that his beliefs and allegiances should be taken into account. So on that basis - Catholic and York.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Serene Highness

There must be a Catholic church in York? I would not have any idea. But there must.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
There must be a Catholic church in York? I would not have any idea. But there must.
There is, nothing high profile like the Minster obviously. There is a church a few metres from the Minster which is RC.

Leicester Cathedral is not RC either, it's COE.