Richard III (1452-1485): Discovery of Remains and Reburial

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Artemisia

Heir Presumptive, Royal Blogger
City
Yerevan
Country
Armenia
Human remains found in Leicester car park DO belong to Richard III... but scientists are holding back findings until Channel Four documentary is aired
The skeleton found in the resting place of Richard III has been confirmed as belonging to the king - but scientists are holding the news back for greater publicity, it has been claimed. The human remains were uncovered in September in what is now the car park of Leicester City Council’s social services department. Since then, a number of tests have been taking place to determine if the bones belong to the Plantagenet king, including DNA tests.
But, according to The Daily Telegraph, even if long-awaited DNA results prove inconclusive, the archaeologists will still announce that the remains belong to Richard III. A source, who has knowledge of the excavation, told the newspaper that additional evidence which was not revealed at a press conference following the discovery of the remains demonstrates beyond doubt that the skeleton is Richard III.
I hope, once the remains are positively identified, Richard gets a proper funeral befitting a King.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do too but I wonder where he will be buried,surely not at Westminster where his nemesis Henry VII is interred :D
Well, the consideration didn't stop Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I being buried just metres away. ;)
Even more bitter rivals, Edward IV and Henry VI, are both buried at Windsor Castle.

Well, the consideration didn't stop Mary, Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I being buried just metres away. ;)
Even more bitter rivals, Edward IV and Henry VI, are both buried at Windsor Castle.

That's true I can imagine a lot of royal bones 'turning' in those vaults!

Apparently the Queen has rejected a proposal for Henry III to be buried at Westminster Abbey, which is pretty disappointing in my view. He's going to be buried in Leicester Cathedral, which is apparently in keeping with the archeology custom of burying remains close to where they were found.

I've also seen debate about whether Henry III should be given a Roman Catholic funeral given that England was an RC country at the time. It'll be interesting to see how they choose to address that issue.

One of the problems with Westminster Abbey is that the crypt is apparently full - thus no room for him.

He should have RC burial - a chance for the Duchess of Kent to represent The Queen again although I doubt that she would do so.

It would be wrong to bury him with the CoE rights when that church didn't exist in his day.

I would like to see Richard III interred in York Minster, in the city where he was most loved and supported.

Last edited:
I guess there will be a State Funeral for the late King.

If Westminster Abbey is not an option then I'd say it will be Cathedral Church of St Martin/Leicester Cathedral or possibly a RC Church in Leicester,Holy Cross Priory church?

Last edited:
I think I'd prefer a burial in York; that's where Richard was truly loved and respect, so it would be fitting to have it as his final resting place.

apparently it is the bones of Richard III. I was just wondering will he have a catholic ceremony instead of C of E because he was obviously Catholic and reigned before the reformation.

I really look forward to more information about the excavation; this story is just so enthralling.

The DNA results will be announced tomorrow, on February 4. Meanwhile, I've written an article on Richard III which reassess his character. I should warn this is strictly my opinion and not a fact. And I'm afraid it's awfully long.

Richard III: A villain or a victim of successful propaganda?

On Monday, scientists from the University of Leicester are to finally reveal the results of DNA that will tell us whether the bones discovered in a Leicester car park last year belong to Richard III. But while we are waiting for the results, perhaps we could have another look at the King and reassess his reign and personality.

And indeed, what do we know about the last Plantagenet Monarch? And what of we know is accurate or just a plain character assassination? Was he a monster depicted in Shakespeare’s famous play? Did he kill his young nephews and usurp the Throne? Why did he lose the Battle of Bosworth Field and how did he die? Unfortunately, none of those questions could actually be answered conclusively but I will try to draw as unbiased a portrait as possible.

Richard was born as the eighth and youngest child of Richard Plantagenet, 3rd Duke of York and Cecily Neville both of whom had strong claims to the Throne of England. From an early age, Richard was a staunch supporter of his brother’s quest to claim the Crown. After Edward finally ascended to the English Throne (for the first time) in 1461, Richard was named the Duke of Gloucester.

Of all their siblings, it is indisputable Edward IV had the most trust in his youngest sibling, and the latter never disappointed him; throughout Edward’s reign, he was a loyal, caring and dedicated brother. Perhaps even more importantly, he proved to be an able commander; Richard played crucial roles in the battles of Tewkesbury and Barnet that resulted in Edward reclaiming the Throne from Henry VI.

If {as widely expected} the remains are confirmed to be those of Richard 111, i very much hope they are given a Roman Catholic ceremony of reburial, in a Roman Catholic Church.

It would be completely wrong for an individual who lived and died a Catholic to be buried in a faith, and on ground that was alien to him.

Almost more disrespectful as leaving him in the car park.

:previous:
I agree with you; Richard III lived and died a Catholic and that should be respected. I very much doubt he will be buried in an Anglican ceremony.

It would be completely wrong for an individual who lived and died a Catholic to be buried in a faith, and on ground that was alien to him.

I agree that it would be wrong to bury him using a different service than that to which he belonged but the ground of all English churches that existed then were RC even if now they are CoE.

I'm looking forward to the documentary to tomorrow night!

I'm still hoping Richard III will be interred at York Minster and with a service befitting his rank and faith. However, the DM claims that he'll be buried in Leicester Cathedral nearby the car park. I'm wondering if there will be a resurgence of interest in this monarch; there was mention that a screenwriter's work on Richard has been turned into a script for film and television.

I hope there's some way the U.S. audience will be able to watch this documentary online.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tists-prepare-reveal-results-DNA-testing.html

Last edited:
I am certainly looking forward to hearing what the results are and how his remains will be dealt with.

Am also a bit annoyed that the thread I started, just after the bones were discovered, was removed and yet it only talked about the links that are shown above.

I am so excited and for the documentary on channel 4 tomorrow at 9 pm . There will be a facial reconstruction it seems too .

I saw that in the trailer; I love facial reconstructions and really hope we on the other side of the pond can get to see this doc. Maybe there will be link, fingers crossed! I wonder how much the reconstruction will look like Richard's famous portrait?

Last edited:
I am so excited and for the documentary on channel 4 tomorrow at 9 pm . There will be a facial reconstruction it seems too .

Yes its exciting and its seems to have sparked a lot of interest in Richard III!

It is all very interesting. I wonder what caused the search to turn to a public car park, and I am sure it took some very interesting research and a substantial amount of convincing to allow it to be dug up. That does not happen on a whim. After all, it isn't an empty field on a farm somewhere.

I forgot how this all started. Did archeologists know what was under the car park that led to it being excavated? Or was work being done on the car park and the workers stumbled across this site accidentally which caused this excavation.

I forgot how this all started. Did archeologists know what was under the car park that led to it being excavated? Or was work being done on the car park and the workers stumbled across this site accidentally which caused this excavation.

I believe it was the former.

Basically, they were aware that there were ruins of a former cathedral under the car park and there was a chance that they would find clues about Richard's whereabouts there. I don't think they actually expected to find his body even though some 18th and 19th century sources pointed out the location as the King's possible burial place.

Back
Top Bottom