The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-28-2015, 08:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Images from an unforgettable week - King Richard III in Leicester

Old 03-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Heir Apparent

The page keeps closing before it finishes loading!

Old 03-29-2015, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Cardinal Nichols celebrated a Requiem Mass for King Richard at Holy Cross Priory in Leicester .

CatholicHerald.co.uk » Requiem Mass is what Richard III would have wanted, says Cardinal Nichols
Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Really beautiful and moving....
Old 04-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

70,000 have so far paid a visit to Richard III's tomb and with the Easter Holiday weekend approaching I'm sure that will nearly double!

Richard III reburial: A moving tribute to our last warrior king | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 04-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Richard III mania: why have been people queuing for hours to see his coffin?

Richard III mania: why have been people queuing for hours to see his coffin ahead of his reinterment? | History Extra

Bad King Richard III?

Bad King Richard III? “He was a product of his time. I’ve warmed to him” says relative Michael Ibsen | History Extra
Old 04-06-2015, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Very happy to know such a lot of people paid their respect !!!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Richard III: King 'hid' his bent spine researchers claim

Richard III: King 'hid' his bent spine researchers claim - BBC News
Old 04-16-2015, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent

And none of these physicians, servants, attendants etc ever spoke about it to close relatives, lovers, friends?

Richard may have deluded himself into thinking that courtiers etc didn't notice, but a spinal curvature of the sort we know he had would have prevented him standing straight-backed. No amount of padding, or good tailoring, would have been able to disguise that.

A schoolmaster in a fight in York in 1491 called Richard 'Crouchback', apparently the first to do so in public, and considering how Richard dealt with his enemies, that is hardly surprising!
Old 04-17-2015, 01:26 AM
Nobility

Men didn't appear shirtless in public in the 15th century. It just wasn't done. No one outside of Richard's immediate circle would have known there was anything amiss if it wasn't for Bosworth - being bent naked over a horse would have exaggerated the curvature. All that was apparent in life was a slightly raised shoulder, easily covered by clothing. He stood straight with his head centered in his torso - the academic paper on the scientific study confirmed this - and no one would have noticed anything other than the shoulder. Foreigners to his court such as Niclaus von Poppleau didn't mention anything after they returned home. Not noticeable. BTW Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, the late Elizabeth Taylor and Princess Eugenie all have scoliosis.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:42 AM
Nobility

Now it is all over, or as over as it can ever be, might I suggest that those out there interested in knowing the truth about the research that went into the "Looking for Richard " project, find a copy of a book entitled,
"Finding Richard 111".
This is the official account by the team, not the archaeologists, and just may clear up some details about exhumation licences, who applied, more importantly where it was stated the bones should be reinterred , you cannot "bury" someone twice. This would not have been a strange concept to Richard, both his father, the Duke of York and his brother the Earl of Rutland were reinterred.

One point to mention is that the crown on Richards coffin was commissioned and paid for by Dr John Ashdown -Hill, as was the rosary placed inside it.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Where's Wolsey: After Richard III, should Leicester hunt for another lost grave?

Where's Wolsey: After Richard III, should Leicester hunt for another lost grave? | Leicester Mercury
Old 04-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Where's Wolsey: After Richard III, should Leicester hunt for another lost grave?

Where's Wolsey: After Richard III, should Leicester hunt for another lost grave? | Leicester Mercury
Oh yes yes yes !
Old 04-22-2015, 05:31 AM
Nobility

I agree !! They should look for Wolsley, does anyone have any idea where he may be buried. Researchers of TRF Wolsey needs you !

Phillipa Langley has already hinted that her next project could be the search for the remains of the "Princes in the tower", that debate ,however, belongs to another thread.!!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady of hay View Post
I agree !! They should look for Wolsley, does anyone have any idea where he may be buried. Researchers of TRF Wolsey needs you !

Phillipa Langley has already hinted that her next project could be the search for the remains of the "Princes in the tower", that debate ,however, belongs to another thread.!!
Where ? Which thread ?
Old 04-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Nobility

Do we have a thread for the princes in the tower ? Maybe we should start one .
Old 04-22-2015, 12:55 PM
Nobility

I have looked through the list of British royal history threads and there is a thread for the princes, Edward V and Richard Duke of York.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:

The Cardinal was buried at the now destroyed Leicester Augustinian Abbey which was dissolved in 1538.I think there's a park covering it now and who knows Wolsey might still there!
Old 04-22-2015, 11:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:

The team (Philippa Langley, Annette Carson, and Dr John Ashdown-Hill) is currently exploring doing archival research looking for documents in Europe etc. relating to the sons of Edward IV. Philippa has also said that her next "missing" King project will most likely be Henry I, who was buried in the now destroyed Reading Abbey. There are no records of him having been moved.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
The team (Philippa Langley, Annette Carson, and Dr John Ashdown-Hill) is currently exploring doing archival research looking for documents in Europe etc. relating to the sons of Edward IV. Philippa has also said that her next "missing" King project will most likely be Henry I, who was buried in the now destroyed Reading Abbey. There are no records of him having been moved.
Thanks for that, although I do know that after the events of the last few years ,Phillipa at least is taking a well deserved rest. I suppose it is just going to be a case of watch this space !!