Richard III (1452-1485): Discovery of Remains and Reburial

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Hastings, having long been on good terms with Gloucester, seems to have underestimated the latter’s ambition until it was too late. Ignoring warnings, he attended the fateful council meeting at the Tower, at which Gloucester accused him of conspiring with the Woodvilles against him. The charge was in all likelihood trumped up – probably because Gloucester knew that Hastings would never countenance any move on his part to seize the throne outright."
Quote from the article referenced above.
I've just finished the part of Allison Weir's book re: Elizabeth of York, where the author discusses Richard III's actions - so the comment about Lord Hastings caught my attention.

^ I was amused by the reference in the article to the builders and workmen stopping work on the castle immediately news of Hastings' death was known. No doubt Hastings' heirs were very, very careful later to reduce the grandeur of what was originally going to be a magnificent building.

Hastings was dragged out without trial (itself against the law as he was entitled to be tried by a council of his peers) and summarily executed on Tower Green. Richard told Hastings to see a priest and confess his sins 'for by St Paul, I will not to dinner till I see thy head off!'

Very interesting reconstruction of the king's grave :previous:

Back
Top Bottom