Richard III (1452-1485): Discovery of Remains and Reburial

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Video:
Hollywood actor Benedict Cumberbatch is to read a specially written poem at the re-burial of Richard III. The Imitation Game star is a distant relative of the last Plantagenet king and is due to star in a forthcoming BBC television series about the monarch. His reading is happening at a Leicester Cathedral service in which the king's coffin, containing his mortal remains, is lowered into a specially made tomb of Swaledale stone inside Leicester Cathedral-

Home - ITNSource News

US Royal Watcher,

The Pall covering the Kings ossuary ws specially commissioned for the event, and is embroidered with figures illustrating his life, his death and the events of the rediscovery of his bones... The modern figures shown are the principal persons involved, the scientists, the descendant who supplied the DNA link, the archeologists, and Philippa Langley, the lady whose research and single minded quest lead to the [widely ridiculed] idea that he might be under a car park !

Last edited:
It has been fascinating to see the coverage of this historical event and I have a feeling this will reignite a lot of interest in historical royalty. Many thanks to everyone who have posted links, pictures and video.

It was certainly unique to watch the reburial of a monarch who is dead for 500 years. Some ridicule or question this event, but he is part of English history.

The page keeps closing before it finishes loading!

Very happy to know such a lot of people paid their respect !!!

And none of these physicians, servants, attendants etc ever spoke about it to close relatives, lovers, friends?

Richard may have deluded himself into thinking that courtiers etc didn't notice, but a spinal curvature of the sort we know he had would have prevented him standing straight-backed. No amount of padding, or good tailoring, would have been able to disguise that.

A schoolmaster in a fight in York in 1491 called Richard 'Crouchback', apparently the first to do so in public, and considering how Richard dealt with his enemies, that is hardly surprising!

Last edited:
Men didn't appear shirtless in public in the 15th century. It just wasn't done. No one outside of Richard's immediate circle would have known there was anything amiss if it wasn't for Bosworth - being bent naked over a horse would have exaggerated the curvature. All that was apparent in life was a slightly raised shoulder, easily covered by clothing. He stood straight with his head centered in his torso - the academic paper on the scientific study confirmed this - and no one would have noticed anything other than the shoulder. Foreigners to his court such as Niclaus von Poppleau didn't mention anything after they returned home. Not noticeable. BTW Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, the late Elizabeth Taylor and Princess Eugenie all have scoliosis.

Now it is all over, or as over as it can ever be, might I suggest that those out there interested in knowing the truth about the research that went into the "Looking for Richard " project, find a copy of a book entitled,
"Finding Richard 111".
This is the official account by the team, not the archaeologists, and just may clear up some details about exhumation licences, who applied, more importantly where it was stated the bones should be reinterred , you cannot "bury" someone twice. This would not have been a strange concept to Richard, both his father, the Duke of York and his brother the Earl of Rutland were reinterred.

One point to mention is that the crown on Richards coffin was commissioned and paid for by Dr John Ashdown -Hill, as was the rosary placed inside it.

I agree !! They should look for Wolsley, does anyone have any idea where he may be buried. Researchers of TRF Wolsey needs you !

Phillipa Langley has already hinted that her next project could be the search for the remains of the "Princes in the tower", that debate ,however, belongs to another thread.!! :)

I agree !! They should look for Wolsley, does anyone have any idea where he may be buried. Researchers of TRF Wolsey needs you !

Phillipa Langley has already hinted that her next project could be the search for the remains of the "Princes in the tower", that debate ,however, belongs to another thread.!! :)
Where ? Which thread ?:eek:

Do we have a thread for the princes in the tower ? Maybe we should start one .:flowers:

I have looked through the list of British royal history threads and there is a thread for the princes, Edward V and Richard Duke of York.

The Cardinal was buried at the now destroyed Leicester Augustinian Abbey which was dissolved in 1538.I think there's a park covering it now and who knows Wolsey might still there!

The team (Philippa Langley, Annette Carson, and Dr John Ashdown-Hill) is currently exploring doing archival research looking for documents in Europe etc. relating to the sons of Edward IV. Philippa has also said that her next "missing" King project will most likely be Henry I, who was buried in the now destroyed Reading Abbey. There are no records of him having been moved.

Last edited:
The team (Philippa Langley, Annette Carson, and Dr John Ashdown-Hill) is currently exploring doing archival research looking for documents in Europe etc. relating to the sons of Edward IV. Philippa has also said that her next "missing" King project will most likely be Henry I, who was buried in the now destroyed Reading Abbey. There are no records of him having been moved.

Thanks for that, although I do know that after the events of the last few years ,Phillipa at least is taking a well deserved rest. I suppose it is just going to be a case of watch this space !!

Back
Top Bottom