Richard III (1452-1485): Discovery of Remains and Reburial

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Richard IIII's reputation restored as Queen gives royal seal of approval - Telegraph
The reputation of Richard III has finally been restored as the much-maligned monarch was given a tribute fit for a king and even a seal of approval from the Queen.

His remains, which were discovered under a car park in Leicester in 2012, were taken back to Bosworth Field, the site of his fateful last battle, before being moved to Leicester Cathedral where the King will lie in repose until a reinterment service on Thursday.

Although the Queen will not personally attend the service, Buckingham Palace said she had written a tribute in the order of service which acknowledged Richard’s importance to British history.

The ceremony has made it onto the top of my my US Yahoo News feed. Impressive!

A truly astonishing turn out by the public along the streets of Leicester. They were throwing flowers onto the coffin all the time. It would appear the rehabilitation of Richard III, in the eyes of the public (who likely don't know very much about him really), is complete.

I have to say, though, I fail to see why this has to take several days. It's rather dragging it all out.

A truly astonishing turn out by the public along the streets of Leicester. They were throwing flowers onto the coffin all the time. It would appear the rehabilitation of Richard III, in the eyes of the public (who likely don't know very much about him really), is complete.

I have to say, though, I fail to see why this has to take several days. It's rather dragging it all out.

This is normal now for a British monarch - three days 'lying in state' so the public can pay their respects.

He is being given the same treatment Elizabeth will be given - which will be about 10 days from death to funeral with at least 3 days lying in Westminster Hall with the public filing by.

Richard didn't have that in his own time so he is being given that now, even though in the middle ages they tended to bury them far more quickly.

How very touching to see the tributes of white roses laid in his path.
This is an extraordinary event, indeed.

I will definitely watch the reinterment on 26th March, although people are saying that the Queen should have sent someone "higher" than Sophie to represent her at the funeral. I was not under the impression Sophie was representing the Queen as her attendance was only announce recently, whereas the Duke of Gloucester's attendance was announced long before.

Queen Elizabeth is a direct descendant of Henry VII. So although its appropriate to have royal representation at the funeral of Richard III , I didn't expect any direct heirs to attend.

Whilst the finding of this man is fantastic, and no doubt he's getting the funeral he should have got at the time of his death had he not died in battle, albeit perhaps not in the right place ;) But so much time has passed, there is no real need for anyone to go. The Duke of Gloucester is going in his capacity as President of the RIII society.

Queen Elizabeth is a direct descendant of Henry VII. So although its appropriate to have royal representation at the funeral of Richard III , I didn't expect any direct heirs to attend.

Richard had no 'direct' heirs so there are none to attend.

There are a number of heirs of his siblings and they are there including HRH Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester - a 17th generation nephew and namesake (although I doubt that the late Duke of Gloucester realised that opportunity would arise when they named their second son Richard.)

Interestingly he is the first to hold the title of Prince Richard since the days of Richard III and the young Prince Richard who disappeared from the Tower and now he attends the funeral of the last to be Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester.

^^^ I meant Queen Elizabeth's heirs. Charles, William. The Countess of Wessex is appropriate representation imo.

Sophie Wessex has an interest in military history so she will probably be fascinated.

Windy, wet and 11 degrees for tomorrow. People can pooh pooh the significance, but the turnout has been impressive so far.

Not that I would have wanted to be a player at the time, but I would have loved to be a fly on the walls of leaders at this time. Fascinating.

Richard III's descendant makes a coffin fit for a king

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=visYwIGG6ZA&feature=youtu.be

Well said Sir. Well said indeed.

Not sure if I'll be able to watch any of the Funeral live, as the World Figure Skating Championships are being livestreamed here in Canada and it'll be going on the exact same time as the Funeral. Sigh...Oh how I hate it when two of my passions conflict like this!!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

From Reburial TImetable Archives - King Richard III in Leicester -
on Friday 27th,
"1800 – 2200 Leicester Glows: Fire Garden and Cathedral Illuminations: A free event, open to the public will take place in and around Jubilee Square & Cathedral Gardens, culminating in a firework display from the Cathedral roof."
which strikes me as, um, an incongruous kind of event in the circumstances?

After more than 500 years shrouded in mystery, buried in anonymous grave discovered beneath a car park, Richard III has finally been laid to rest 'in the heart' of the country.

A coffin containing the Plantagenet monarch's mortal remains was taken to Leicester Cathedral to receive a royal burial this morning as the Queen paid tribute to the last English king to die in battle.

In a written message in the order of service, the Queen said: 'The reinterment of King Richard III is an event of great national and international significance.
More: Richard III's remains are finally given a royal burial in Leicester Cathedral | Daily Mail Online

This has been fascinating. I would go if I lived in the area, it is a once in a lifetime event. I am interested that the "flag" covering the coffin has figures in modern clothes. Perhaps I have missed it but does someone have a link to an explanation as to why? I would have thought they would have used Richard III flag.

Back
Top Bottom