The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Commoner

Queen Victoria's Sons

Hi all, I'm not sure if there is a thread dedicated to all her sons and apologise if there is (maybe someone can link the thread) but I thought it would be nice to have a thread to talk about them altogether.

I've noticed that Affie and Leo both wear the same triple ring and I'm sure that Bertie used to wear one too when he was younger. Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know if Art wore a ring like his brothers too?

I will post photos as examples of the rings as soon as I figure out how to

Old 10-07-2016, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

That's very intriguing, Lady Alice. I can't say I've studied the hands of these three Princes in any depth, except to observe that they did wear a ring or several rings at various times. It was apparently quite fashionable for dandyish young males in the 1860's and '70's..

I know Prince Alfred when he was a young man wore a huge number of rings. There's a studio photo somewhere around, (can't remember where I saw it) taken in Melbourne when he was on the tour of Australia where there was that attempt on his life, and he wears at least two rings on each finger of his hands in the photo.

I don't know about Prince Arthur. Except for a pinkie ring, I can't really see him wearing large numbers of rings in his later army career, which he was deadly serious about. Perhaps the Royal Navy was different! I wonder whether the particular ring you mention had anything to do with Freemasonry? Leo was a Freemason, and all three of his surviving brothers reached the highest ranks in that organisation, ( hardly surprisingly, perhaps) especially the POW.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/fine...raternal-rings

Old 11-06-2016, 02:35 PM
Commoner

I Just thing of which brother got along with whom as this was discussed on the Edward thread.

Bertie
Vicky- yes
Alice - close
Affie- close
Helena- unknown
Louise- no
Arthur- sometimes
Leo- no
Beatrice - no

Affie
Vicky- unknown
Bertie-close
Alice-yes
Helena-close
Louise-yes
Arthur-unknown
Leo-yes
Beatrice-sometimes

Arthur
Vicky-unknown
Bertie- sometimes
Alice-unknown
Helena-yes
Louise-yes
Leo-close
Beatrice-no

Leo
Vicky-unknown
Bertie-no
Alice-yes
Affie-yes
Helena-yes
Louise-close
Arthur-close
Beatrice-no
Old 11-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

That's pretty correct, I think, except that Vicky often played the role of adviser and friend to her much younger siblings, including her brothers. She was in a way the glue, the go-between that they relied on increasingly, after Alice died and their mother aged, especially.

Of course they were all adults and doing their own thing most of the time and because of her situation as 'the English woman' at the Prussian court, they didn't impose themselves often on her at Berlin. They mostly met elsewhere, but I do think she tried her best to help her siblings if they needed her.

Of course she was gone from the house, married and in Germany by the time the three youngest children were in the schoolroom. Beatrice was only a baby.

I think there was always that special closeness between the oldest four, as they were so near in age, and could remember their parents, Albert especially, as young, energetic and more carefree than they were later.

I always think that Leopold especially missed his father's love and attention. His mother's fussing over and rule of his life would have been greatly decreased if Albert had died even fifteen to twenty years later than he did.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:46 PM
Commoner

I feel sorry for Bertie as v&a almost made his life seem pointless. The poor man didn't have a purpose and anything he made his name in which was work oriented it got taken off him and given to someone else. It's no wonder he became the way he did.
I'm sure Affie was in the wrong profession. He might of enjoyed the navy as a young lad but he was painfully shy and socially awakard which must be hard after being separated from his family and missing out in family occasions it would double the stress, no wonder he found comfort in a bottle.

I'm sure Arthur was no angel but he knew how to play the game and keep his cards close to his chest.

Leo is Victoria but a male version
Old 11-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Agree about Bertie. They tried their best but were so blind. (Of course there was no such thing as child psychology then).

Affie was certainly a heavy drinker in his adult life but he wasn't alone in that. Many drank a lot, unfortunately. I think it was Admiral Sir John Fisher who met Affie by chance in England after he had become Duke of Saxe Coburg and Gotha. They shared a railway carriage. Fisher reported that Affie talked incessantly about the navy, how bored he was with ducal duties in Germany, and displayed a mordant sense of humour by stating that one day he would be found with his throat cut!
Old 11-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Commoner

Did Affie and Arthur get along does anybody know? I know that sometimes got along with Bertie and he was close to Leo
Old 11-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think Arthur and Alfred were particularly close actually. Arthur was army-mad, Affie devoted to the Royal Navy. There was almost six years difference in age between them and that's a gulf in childhood. Affie being sent away in his early teens for naval training provoked a rare blast against the beloved Albert in his wife's diaries, as she bemoaned her son being cast away from his parents, brothers and sisters and happy home. She inferred that Albert could have deferred this if he'd wanted to!

So Alfred was away from home for long stretches while Arthur was growing up. I believe he was in the Mediterranean Command when Arthur left school and entered Army training. Arthur went to Canada, Egypt and spent long years in India subsequently, while Alfred was at his naval duties, usually around the Mediterranean. Of course they would have met if they were both in England/Scotland at the same time, would have attended family christenings, weddings and funerals and so forth (though it's odd Alfred didn't turn up at Leo's funeral) but no, I don't think they were close.

I believe Bertie's primary relationships with his siblings were with Vicky, Alice and Affie. Affie's were with Vicky, Alice and Bertie, though the two brothers saw less and less of each other as the years went by. Arthur did love his younger invalid brother Leo, and like others in the family sometimes enjoyed Louise's wit.

However, Arthur to me, and I may be wrong, doesn't seem to have had a very close relationship with any of his siblings after Leo's death, and even with Leo his army career and his own family came first. He lived abroad (in India) for such a long time as well.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Commoner

It seems everyone hits a blank wall with Arthur and it's hardly surprising there is no in depth biography of him.

I love reading about Arthur and Leo's realtionship when they were young. I thought it was Arthur not affie that couldn't go to Leo's funeral.

Is there any other photos of the brothers together or film footage of the three surviving brothers?
Old 11-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure someone on the Forum would know of any film and/or photos. They all must have ridden, you would have thought, in their mother's Diamond Jubilee Procession,, though perhaps Affie was too ill by then.

Only the Prince of Wales was at Leo's funeral. Arthur most probably had an excuse. He would have been serving in either Egypt or India at the time and couldn't get away. I don't know why Alfred wasn't there. Illness, couldn't get away from his duties in the Mediterranean? Don't know.

Yes, Arthur is quite the man of mystery compared to his brothers. There must be a worthwhile story there. His marriage to Princess Louise whose father was an absolute pig, he and Leo, the relationship with Leonie L, service in the East, his daughters and their marriages, especially Margaret's, his strange grandson and said grandson's even stranger premature death. My goodness, there should be a few chapters there as well as his childhood, parents and closeness (or not) with his other siblings.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:55 PM

I am really interested in Victoria & Albert and their many children.

Is here a definitive biography that anyone would like to recommend?
Old 11-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
I am really interested in Victoria & Albert and their many children.

Is here a definitive biography that anyone would like to recommend?
I really loved Bertie by Jane Ridley

The mystery of princess Louise by Lucinda hawksley

Alfred by john van der kirst

Queen Victoria's youngest son by Charlotte zeepvat