The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Sorry to so offend you fearghas with my ignorance of this disease as I clearly stated I had. I am just repeating what I was told by a family who actually has the disease.

Your earlier post also explains why Charles, William etc couldn't have the disease.

It comes through the female line and their female line doesn't go back to Queen Victoria. Philip's does but not Charles and William's.

Charles mother is QEII whose mother was the Queen Mother etc.

William's mother was Diana and then back to Frances Shand-Kydd etc.

Victoria's female line descendents who could have passed on the disease were Victoria (into the Prussian/German royals), Alice (into the Hesse-Darmstadts - and through whom Philip might have got it as he has a female line back to this Alice and then to Victoria but his life activities rules out him having the disease), Louise, who had no children, Helena and Beatrice (whose daughter Ena took it to Spain).

Victoria's British descendents are male line to the present Queen - Edward VII, George V, George VI, Elizabeth II.

Your original post includes the following sentence:

Quote:
This condition ran throughout the mother's family and they had traced it back to a great great grandmother (somewhere in the mid 1800s) as the first documented case.
which is the very reason why it isn't in the current British Royal Family. They are not female line descendents from Victoria.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Courtier

I found this very interesting. Thank you iluvbertie

Old 01-04-2009, 06:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Sorry to so offend you fearghas with my ignorance of this disease as I clearly stated I had. I am just repeating what I was told by a family who actually has the disease.
Bella I wasn't specifically referring to you as there are a number of comments on this thread that are ill informed about the inheritance of haemophilia. However my comment does come just after yours and reads as rather rude for which I apologise.

I'm also interested in just why some people feel the need for some sort of conspiracy theory (poisoning of the Russian royal family amongst others) to explain something that doesn't need explaining.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Aristocracy

Nowadays, a 7th generation descendant of Queen Victoria is suffering from Hemophilia. Ferdinand Soltmann, whose mother is descended from Queen Victoria twice paternally (via the Queen's children Alice and Alfred). It has been proved that Ferdinand suffers from hemophilia, as a result I would think that this fact demonstrates that Alexei was a hemophiliac. After all these years the sickness reappears, it seems that when 2 gene carriers procreate Hemophilia is likely to reappear. The 2 genealogic lines of Ferdinand Soltmann that descend from Queen Victoria are the following:

1. QUEEN VICTORIA-> PRINCESS ALICE OF THE UK-> PRINCESS VICTORIA OF HESSE-> PRINCESS ALICE OF BATTENBERG -> PRINCESS MARGARITA OF GREECE ->

-> KRAFT, 9TH PRINCE OF HOHENLOHE-LANGEBURG -> PRINCESS XENIA OF HOHENLOHE-LANGENBURG -> FERDINAND SOLTMANN

2. QUEEN VICTORIA-> PRINCE ALFRED OF SAXE-COBURG-GOTHA-> PRINCESS ALEXANDRA OF EDINBURGH-> GOTTFRIED, 8TH PRINCE OF HOHENLOHE-LAGENBURG->

-> KRAFT, 9TH PRINCE OF HOHENLOHE-LAGENBURG -> PRINCESS XENIA OF HOHENLOHE-LANGEBURG -> FERDINAND SOLTMANN.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Courtier

It is possible that Prince Kraft inherited the gene fron his mother but Was Prince Kraft of Hohenlohe haemophiliac? If he wasn't then he couldn't have passed the gene onto his daughter, there fore Ferdinand doesn't have QVs.version of the disease. Princess Xenia might have inherited it from her mother, again that would mean it was not QVs version. Or it might have been another spontaneous mutation.
As QVs son, Prince Alfred was not haemophiliac he didn't pass the gene on.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
...Princess Xenia might have inherited it from her mother...
Xenia's mother is Princess Charlotte, daughter of Prince Alexander of Croÿ (Austrian Branch) and Anne Campbell (born in the UK).
Old 01-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Aristocracy

Xenia's father, Prince Kraft, had some clotting issues, which led the family to believe he may have been a mild hemophiliac. Probably the fact that both Kraft's parents were QV descendants was a factor in this reappearance of the sickness.

Some scientists considered that hemophilia might have been latent in the Saxe-Coburg family and the fact that Queen Victoria married her maternal first cousin provoked an "spontaneous mutation" which resulted in the sickness being passed on to many of their descendants.

Neither Queen Victoria's parents nor grandparents were hemophiliacs, as a result nobody can be sure on how did the sickness appear. Some people investigated in order to find out if it was possible that QV was the result of an extramarital relationship of her mother the Duchess of Kent, Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha; however, given other factors like lack of evidence and the strong similarity of Queen Victoria and her paternal relatives like her first cousin, Princess Mary of Cambridge "fat Mary" most researchers decided against the "lover's theory".

In my opinion, the bloodline from QV to Ferdinand Soltmann demonstrates that the sickness suffered by QV descendants was hemophilia. QV's daughters, princesses Alice and Beatrix, were very strong in passing the sickness on to their descendants in the German, Russian and Spanish royal families.

The way the sickness reappeared in the Queen's family remains a mistery.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Commoner

Since 'Queen Victoria's Gene' appeared, another book, 'Purple Secret', has demonstrated pretty convincingly that there has been porphyria in Queen Victoria's descendants, which seems to knock out the 'Victoria was illegitimate' theory (never very convincing, in my view). I have a copy, but it's at home and I will have to look at it to get the names of the authors.

Unlike haemophilia, it's not a case of having porphyria or not having it, so it is much more difficult to spot. The effects are quite variable. The main effects seem to be digestive problems, plus skin problems. William of Gloucester was diagnosed with porphyria about two years before his death - apparently, in case case the main manifestation was skin trouble. Funnily enough, the doctor who diagnosed him (an RAF dermatologist) treated my brother for eczema.

My feeling on George III is that what he was suffering from was not 'madness', whether caused by porphyria or not. What was mistaken by his doctors for madness was delirium resulting from the fevers which often go with porphyria.

Mountbatten's elder brother, George, 2nd Marquess of Milford Haven, died from bone cancer. In any case, he could not have been a haemophiliac, since he had a lengthy and active career in the Royal Navy.

Prince Maurice of Battenberg, son of Princess Beatrice, is sometimes said to have been a haemophiliac, but this is very unlikely as he was fit enough to go through Sandhurst in the ordinary way. He was killed in action in 1914 (if you go to the military museum at Ypres in Belgium, you can see his sword, which he apparently left in the care of the Belgian lady he was billeted on).

A possible porphyria sufferer was one of Queen Mary's brothers, Adolphus, Marquess of Cambridge. A few years ago the British National Archives made WW1 soldiers' records available and a newspaper article sniped at Cambridge being frequently on the sick list and intimated that he was 'dodging the column'. Apparently he had chronic digestive troubles, and was still under 60 when he died in the 1920s. Given that he was a great-grandson of George III, porphyria seems a possibility.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Commoner

The authors of 'Purple Secret' are John Rohl, David Hunt and Martin Warren.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Is there some descendant of Victoria with Aemophilia still alive?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Heir Apparent

The local newspaper, The Oregonian, once did an interesting piece on haemophilia starting with Charles and Diana and the Wales boys (Probably got it from another source). They concluded that the haemophilia gene had worked itself out of their DNA and none of the descendants could/would carry it. I should check on that. It would be an interesting read.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:01 AM
Courtier

There could be haemophilia amongst Princess Beatrice descendants, they are private individuals not closely related to any of the royal families. (Other than the Spanish Family). It may have reapaeared in the hohenlohe line also, otherwise it has probably died out.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
Is there some descendant of Victoria with Aemophilia still alive?
Yes, there is at least one. Ferdinand Soltmann, a 7th generation descendant of Queen Victoria has been diagnosed with hemophilia; nowadays, hemophilia is treated with medication and sufferers can have a quite normal life. Mr. Soltmann's mother is princess Xenia of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, twice a descendant of Queen Victoria. The genealogic lines are as follows:

1. QUEEN VICTORIA-> PRINCESS ALICE OF THE UK-> PRINCESS VICTORIA OF HESSE-> PRINCESS ALICE OF BATTENBERG -> PRINCESS MARGARITA OF GREECE -> KRAFT, 9TH PRINCE OF HOHENLOHE-LANGEBURG -> PRINCESS XENIA OF HOHENLOHE-LANGENBURG -> FERDINAND SOLTMANN

2. QUEEN VICTORIA-> PRINCE ALFRED OF SAXE-COBURG-GOTHA-> PRINCESS ALEXANDRA OF EDINBURGH-> GOTTFRIED, 8TH PRINCE OF HOHENLOHE-LAGENBURG-> KRAFT, 9TH PRINCE OF HOHENLOHE-LAGENBURG -> PRINCESS XENIA OF HOHENLOHE-LANGEBURG -> FERDINAND SOLTMANN.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

But Xenia is a male descendant of Queen Victoria, and aemophilia is carried by women...So Xenia would carry aemophilia from her maternal family, not from her father...
Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Majesty

She is a male line descendent through her father but...there has been a suggestion that Kraft may have been a mild sufferer of haemophilia, in which case he would have past it on to his daughter.

The chance that Kraft had the gene is there as he was a female line descendent of Victoria.

Modern medicine makes dealing with the disease much easier and far more people have the disease without anyone knowing these days as they are able to treat it. It is therefore possible that he might have had a mild form of the disease and thus past on the gene.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

So if you are male you can transmit aemophilia to your descendants is you are suffering of it?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Queen Victoria's son Prince Leopold did. He was haemophiliac and his daughter, Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone, was a carrier.
This is discussed earlier in the thread so we are repeating ourselves.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Queen Victoria's son Prince Leopold did. He was haemophiliac and his daughter, Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone, was a carrier.
This is discussed earlier in the thread so we are repeating ourselves.
Ok, I'm sorry; I didn't read all posts...
Old 02-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

The intermarrying of cousins and other close relations in various royal families have produced many undesirable effects, not just Haemophilia. The Hapsburg Lip for example. Madness for another (although hopefully not these days). Some royal families (Braganza for example) were notorius for marrying uncles to nieces not just once, but repetitively over the generations. That type of close inbreeding really multiplied not only the chance of the offspring inheriting whatever defect, but also intensifying the severity. Also, in the old days, a potential spouse having whatever grevious defect was not eliminated from contention. In fact, it seems to have mattered little in securing a spouse as long as they had the title and rank considered appropriate. Out in the rest of the world, if you were a drooling, deformed, insane hunchback you most likely would not marry and pass on those genes. If you were the Crown Prince of X it was a matter of state to provide an heir. And where did they look for a brood mare? In the family of couse.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Courtier

The sort of thing that you are talking about occurred in the fifteenth century and had more to do with the inheritance of lands than anything else. The gross deformity known as the Hansburg Lip diedd out with the main Habsburg line (the current Habsburgs are not Habsburgs in the male line).

Tags
british history, duke of kent, haemophilia, porphyria, queen victoria