The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I thought the disease came through the mother's line, so what would a hemophiliac lover have to do with it?
There is a theor,y which has some adherents here, that Victoria was not the Duke of Kent's daughter, and the introduction of haemophilia into the royal family is frequently cited as a proof.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapple
There is a theor,y which has some adherents here, that Victoria was not the Duke of Kent's daughter, and the introduction of haemophilia into the royal family is frequently cited as a proof.
I thought that the father was irrelevant as the disease is carried through the female line but that's not completely true.
  • If a woman is a carrier, she has a 50% chance that her sons will have hemophilia. Likewise, she has a 50% chance that her daughters will be carriers of hemophilia. This assumes that the woman’s partner is not a hemophiliac.

A man who has hemophilia has a 50% chance that his daughters will be carriers, although his sons will not be affected if the mother is not a carrier.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Courtier

There's never been any indication that the Duke of Kent had hemophilia, though. The symptoms would have been difficult to ignore in that time and in his life-style.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:03 PM
Royal Highness

My factoid was in response to the possibility that the Duchess of Kent had a lover who was Victoria's father (I just wasn't understanding what a hemophiliac lover had to do with Victoria being a carrier).

But still, I doubt that the Duchess was unfaithful to her husband during his lifetime.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Courtier

Ah, yes, I see now. Thanks.
Still, it would have been quite rare for any hemophiliac at that to time have survived to an age to father children, not to mention to have been chosen as the Duchess's lover!!
Old 09-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Nobility

Indeed. It was not impossible--look at the Duke of Albany, Victoria's son, but highly unlikely.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
Still, it would have been quite rare for any hemophiliac at that to time have survived to an age to father children, not to mention to have been chosen as the Duchess's lover!!
Absolutely true. When you look at the efforts that the Romanovs and the Spanish Bourbons went through to protect their sons, those children still had accidents which might have proved fatal. Earlier in the 19th century when the disease wasn't understood, it's even more unlikely that a hemophiliac male would have had a very long life.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Commoner

Hemophiliea

Hey,

Who was the last royal in the european monarchies known to have Hemophiliea? and whats the chance of HM The Queen or William, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Zara or peter having it? and if one of them did, would we know?
Old 02-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Courtier

The last that I can think of off the top of my head was one of the sons of Irene of Hesse-Darmstadt -- the one that bled to death around the time of WW2.

There's no chance of any of the current royals having hemophilia unless George VI or Philip had/has it (they don't). Unless your father has it, your mother has to be a carrier. EIIR's mother wasn't a carrier and her father didn't have it, so she doesn't have the gene to pass down to her descendents. Philip doesn't have it, so he can't pass it down either. Therefore, there's no way for any of their descendents to have it or be carriers.

Of course, it's still rumoured to be floating around in the distant branches of Borbon family tree, but that's unsubstantiated. (At least one Borbon female descendent had inquiries made about her ability to carry the gene, but I don't know whether the question was answered.)

If someone's a hemophiliac, we'd know about it simply because they'd be in and out of hospital for treatment. If someone's a carrier, we wouldn't know for sure because they wouldn't display the symptoms. But you can tell whether or not someone has the ability to be a carrier by looking into their family tree and seeing whether there's a history of hemophilia. That's how we can dismiss the current royals as carriers -- there's no hemophilia in their direct ancestors back to Victoria (this obviously dismisses the Hesse-Darmstadts, the Albanys, etc, relatives they aren't descended from).

The general assumption is that there was a genetic mutation that occurred in Victoria's DNA. Most mutations occur in the "junk genes" (the ones that won't cause serious harm) but maybe not this one.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
I presume that is the borish oaf who is married to Caroline of Monaco????????
Yes. And you've described him correctly!
Old 01-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Nobility

I know that Milford Haven died of cancer. Is true is?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480

If someone's a hemophiliac, we'd know about it simply because they'd be in and out of hospital for treatment. If someone's a carrier, we wouldn't know for sure because they wouldn't display the symptoms. But you can tell whether or not someone has the ability to be a carrier by looking into their family tree and seeing whether there's a history of hemophilia. That's how we can dismiss the current royals as carriers -- there's no hemophilia in their direct ancestors back to Victoria (this obviously dismisses the Hesse-Darmstadts, the Albanys, etc, relatives they aren't descended from).

Actually the present royals are descended from the Hesse-Darmstadts - Queen Victoria - Princess Alice (married Louis of Hesse-Darmstadt) - Victoria (married Louis of Battenburg)- Alice (married Prince Andrew of Greece) - Philip - Charles etc - William etc

However there has been no evidence of haemophilia coming through this line of descent unlike the line of descent through Alice and Louis youngest daughter Alix who took it to Russia.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:04 PM

Lightbulb

I'm pretty sure Victoria was the daughter of the Duke of Kent, in some of the later protraits and photographs she even looks a lot like him!

She certainly wasn't Jonh Conroy's daughter since the Duchess of Kent didn't even meet him until after she was pregnant. Also Conroy was a solider, which would be a pretty dangerous occupation for a hemeophiliac! It was rather amazing that Leopold managed to live and have children, seeing as back then there was no treatment at all for the disease.

The Duke of Kent was rather old when he fathered Victoria, which would make it more likely that a genetic mutation could occur. Or of course, Victoria's mother could have been a carrier and passed it to her daughter.

As for the porphyria, I saw a documentary that investigated whether George III actually had it, and they pointed out that in a lot of cases people who have the gene don't actually suffer many symptoms. They studied locks of George III's hair, they couldn't find any DNA, but they found a lot of arsenic, about 300 times the normal amount. It's theorised that either the arsenic brought on his porphyria like symptoms (which first occurred rather late in life), or his madness was caused by arsenic poisoning.

Porphyria seems more likely though, because many of George III's children suffered from strange illnesses through out their lives, particularly George IV. The Duke of Kent doesn't seem to have had it, in fact he was considered the healtiest of his brothers and his death was very unexpected, so it's possible he didn't have the gene and so didn't pass it on Victoria, so it died out in the British Royal family.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Aristocracy

Cool

To clear up some of the confusion of "sane" carriers and silent genes and inheritance laws:
As someone has already stated the gene carrying Haemophilia is located on a X-chromosome, of which women have two and man only have one.
So if a woman has a "defunct" part on one of her X-Chr. the healthy correct part on the other X-Chr. takes over and no visible illness can be seen.
If a man has a defect in his X-chr. there is no counterbalancing, since he only has one.
A woman gives one X-chromosome to her offspring, this is partnered by the fathers X-chr. making it a daughter or with the Y-Chr. making it a son.

Now imagine the mother being a carrier of HP, one of her X-chr. would be sick:( shown here as X)
XX + XY =
XX or XX (the latter girl would be a carrier just like her mother)
or XY or XY (the latter boy would be sick)
If the father was a sufferer of HP his chromosomes were XY
All of his daughters would be carriers but none of his sons would inherit the disease from him.
Now if the strange case would arise that a daughter would inherit a defect gene from both her XY father and XX mother, she would be sick too, however she would not survive her first menstruation... (or at least back in those days)

As to Victoria being a love child or not, difficult question, however, the persistence of Prophyria seems to contradict this.
(BTW, it does seem strange that Victorias father managed not to have any children by his former partner of (what?) 20 years.)
A random mutation of the Haemophilia gene would statistically be 1:25000 to 1:100000.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Nobility

Royalty and Haemophilia

I want to know about this. If some prince has this haemoplhilia, will be a secret?
Old 02-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Serene Highness

Haemophilia is a lot more treatable today than in the past, so it's will be less apparent.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Courtier

Are there any royals alive today with the condition? I mean any European Royals? I have not heard of any.

Thank you to anyone who can answer my question.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:06 PM
Courtier

In as far a European Royals, I doubt they would hide it. It does not have the stigma it did over 100+ years ago. Medical Science now understands it and can treat it. Medical Science understands how it is passed and I believe can screen for it.

To my knowledge no European Royals have it. Marrying non royals has helped this out a great deal. Part of the problem with hemophilia before was everyone was marrying their cousins. So the chances of getting the disease were even higher and higher. When you keep marrying w/in a family your chances of passing on genetic abnormalities is extremely high.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Royal Highness

Well, Robert K. Massie, in Nicholas and Alexandra, stated that hemophilia could reappear in a future prince, since there's still that gene, but not marrying first cousins has really, really helped. And it probably wouldn't be a secret, since it's much more treatable than it was 100 years ago.

King Juan Carlos I think is the most closely related person to a hemophiliac, I think that two of his uncles had it and died a couple of years before his birth.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:44 PM

Potentially it could appear in any of the Royal Families of Europe.

Tags
british history, duke of kent, haemophilia, porphyria, queen victoria