The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Serene Highness

More Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
Emily,
The Haemophilia gene is carried by the mother. It is present on the X chromosome and as all of us who have studied genetics know you have the

strong chance that the gene came from there.

http://www.geocities.com/jesusib/haemophilia.html
Thank you wymanda for that brilliant explanation. Did the men who suffer from this disease have descendants? Or did they die before reaching adulthood?
It's not the subject but since you seams so inform, do you do if the Wittelbach (sp.?) madness was of genetic origin too? If yes, how was it passed? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicky
I just don't understand what a "sane carrier" is. I never heard that terminology used, I thought you might mean someone who carries it without exhibiting the symptoms, a silent carrier. Is that what you meant? :)
Yes.That means you carry the gene 'hemophilia' but you do not express the symptoms nor develop the illness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily62_1
QV had no porphiria, was she a carrier ?
What is that?

Old 08-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Courtier

The hereditary disease (?) that was alleged to have caused George III's "madness."

Old 08-20-2005, 08:55 AM
Nobility

Quote:
QV had no porphiria, was she a carrier ? don't know......she was not a Hanover Princess.
At present this is an unconfirmed hypothesis that lacks proof.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
Thank you wymanda for that brilliant explanation. Did the men who suffer from this disease have descendants? Or did they die before reaching adulthood?
A little about the disease. Classic haemophilia is caused by a deficiency of a certain gene located on X chromosome. Females have two of them, and the 'good' gene prevents them from developing the symptoms; of course, there is a very-very slim chance of getting two chromosomes with the 'bad' gene. But we males have only one X chromosome. :(

Haemophiliacs can reach adulthood and have children now; in the 19th century they mostly died before begetting a child (the Duke of Albany is an exception). If a mother is healthy, the boys will be healthy, too; 100% of the girls will be carriers of the disease.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
Actually it is not haemophilia that links Victoria undenyably to the Hanoverians, it is porphyria. There is strong evidence that this condition, which was the cause of George III madness, came through the family from Mary Queen of Scots and it is present in the descendants of QV. At least one of her grandaughters was a sufferer and there was some suggestion that so was Princess Margaret. Given E-A's regular outbursts and is recent bout of ill health I wonder if he is also a sufferer?
I read recently in Wikipedia that Princess Margaret said in the 1970s that Prince William of Gloucester (the current Duke's elder brother) had porphyria. I saw another reference recently saying that Prince William of G. had it (didn't want anyone to think I meant William Wales).
Old 08-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Aristocracy

Queen Victoria's oldest Daughter, Empress Frederick of Germany was a carrier of the gene for haemophilia because she had one son, Sigismund I beleive was his name, who died of the bleeding disease. I think she also had another son who had it as well. She had eight children and only six survived to adulthood: Wilhelm II, Charlotte, Henry, Victoria, Sophie, and one other daughter who I can't remember. Henry married Irene, a sister of the Empress of Russia, and she had sons who were haemophiliacs too. Irene's mother was Alice of Great Britian who was a daughter of Victoria of England.

None of Empress Frederick's daughters as I know were carriers of the gene because Sophie married into the Greek house and it hasn't shown up there as I know. Another daughter married into the Langravine of Hesse or one German state, and it hasn't shown up there either as I know.

Thanks,
Linda 85
Old 08-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I read recently in Wikipedia that Princess Margaret said in the 1970s that Prince William of Gloucester (the current Duke's elder brother) had porphyria. I saw another reference recently saying that Prince William of G. had it (didn't want anyone to think I meant William Wales).
It has also been said that Princess Margaret had pophryria too.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:31 AM
Nobility

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapple
A little about the disease. Classic haemophilia is caused by a deficiency of a certain gene located on X chromosome. Females have two of them, and the 'good' gene prevents them from developing the symptoms; of course, there is a very-very slim chance of getting two chromosomes with the 'bad' gene. But we males have only one X chromosome. :(

Haemophiliacs can reach adulthood and have children now; in the 19th century they mostly died before begetting a child (the Duke of Albany is an exception). If a mother is healthy, the boys will be healthy, too; 100% of the girls will be carriers of the disease.
not 100%, Vicky was not a carrier, we don't know about Louise, who had no issue or Helena, who only had daughters.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
not 100%, Vicky was not a carrier, we don't know about Louise, who had no issue or Helena, who only had daughters.
The Empress Frederick (Vicky) was a carrier. Her son Sigismund had haemophelia.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Nobility

Question

u're right, sorry, but I tend to be so confused, QV had 9 kids and they had so many issues themselves, all but Louise, so she had, how grandkids ? well, many, Alice also lost a kid of 3, Frittie, he was hemophiliac and he died as he had fallen from a window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda85
Queen Victoria's oldest Daughter, Empress Frederick of Germany was a carrier of the gene for haemophilia because she had one son, Sigismund I beleive was his name, who died of the bleeding disease. I think she also had another son who had it as well.
sure, u're talking about Sigi, who died at 3, that's true , and she also lost another of 11, but I remember he was not hempephiliac, he died of pneumonia.

it's weird as only Alicky, P. Alice's daughter was a carrier btw Alice's kids, is it true, in fact Aliexei, the Tzarevitc, was not healthy- were the Leopold kids sane or ill, can't remember ????? Hemoephilia is a weird illness. Prince Philip, the Prince Consort, who descends from P. Alice is not ill, in fact. the illness did not pass from P. Anne to her son, Philip, well, _I know he's healthy, luckily, the illness seems to have disappered from the RF members nowadays. Sorry, I'm confused.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:37 AM
Nobility

Here's a family three showing the descent of haemophilia in the British Royal Family. The haemophiliacs and the carriers are enclosed in the boxes.
From Wikipedia.

Old 08-21-2005, 02:55 AM
Royal Highness

Great Post of the family tree Mapple!!! Kudos to you!!:)
Old 08-21-2005, 03:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Great Post of the family tree Mapple!!! Kudos to you!!:)
Thank you! :)

The author of the tree did not include Prince Sigismund, the son of Empress Friedrich--it is most likely that the boy died of meningitis.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
it's weird as only Alicky, P. Alice's daughter was a carrier btw Alice's kids, is it true, in fact Aliexei, the Tzarevitc, was not healthy- were the Leopold kids sane or ill, can't remember ????? Hemoephilia is a weird illness. Prince Philip, the Prince Consort, who descends from P. Alice is not ill, in fact. the illness did not pass from P. Anne to her son, Philip, well, _I know he's healthy, luckily, the illness seems to have disappered from the RF members nowadays. Sorry, I'm confused.
I don't know if you can say the illness has disappeared, the truth may simply be that its treatable now. The RF wouldn't disclose all of thier illness' to the public unless they absolutely had to. I think every royal house who has a genetic link to this disease just may keep it private. If it has just disappeared I'm guessing it could possibly have been weaned out by Royal members not marrying cousins so close in thier genetic pool. I could be wrong too.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
it's weird as only Alicky, P. Alice's daughter was a carrier
We don't know if her sister Elizabeth was a carrier because she didn't have children. It seems as though Victoria wasn't a carrier; I don't know about Irene.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
We don't know if her sister Elizabeth was a carrier because she didn't have children. It seems as though Victoria wasn't a carrier; I don't know about Irene.
Irene certainly was a carrier--two of her sons were haemophiliacs.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Victoria was the mother of Lord Mountbatten, Princess Alice of Greece, and Queen Louise of Sweden. Thus, she is the grandmother of the Duke of Edinburgh. With the Duke marrying the Queen, we have not heard anything. Queen Louise never had any children, and Lord Mountbatten married outside the royal circles to Edwina Ashley.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
sure, 1830, I get easily confused when it comes to the British Rf in the 1800s.

why think of a gene mutation, which is so rare indeed, when the answer is there, under our eyes?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Victoria was the mother of Lord Mountbatten, Princess Alice of Greece, and Queen Louise of Sweden. Thus, she is the grandmother of the Duke of Edinburgh. With the Duke marrying the Queen, we have not heard anything. Queen Louise never had any children, and Lord Mountbatten married outside the royal circles to Edwina Ashley.
There was another son beside Lord Mountbatten and that was the Second Marquis of Milford Haven. He and his son both died relatively early compared to the other members of the family. I am not suggesting that either had the disease but they may have some other problem.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Live fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
There was another son beside Lord Mountbatten and that was the Second Marquis of Milford Haven. He and his son both died relatively early compared to the other members of the family. I am not suggesting that either had the disease but they may have some other problem.
"...some other problem" ? I think it could be said that George, 2nd Marquess of Milford Haven, died at the age of 45 as a result of being "partied out". A touch of over-indulgence, perhaps?

:)
W

Tags
british history, duke of kent, haemophilia, porphyria, queen victoria