Queen Victoria (1819-1901)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is interesting and surprising to me colynsmomma.

I always understood Prince Albert was the more involved and `hands on` parent and that Queen Victoria was not terribly interested in her children as young babies, generally preferring their company when they were older and could hold a conversation with her. I would be interested to know where you heard about her bathing and putting to bed her older children.

Posts about the new film "The Young Victoria" have been moved to "The Young Victoria" thread in the Royal Library Forum.

Constitutional Implication of Queen Victoria's Illigitmacy

Several recent media reports have suggested the Her Late Majesty Queen Victoria may have been illigetimate and not the blood daughter of The Duke of Kent.

I would like peoples opinions of the constitutional implication of her possible illigitmacy, not debates on whether or not she was or wasn't, just a look at 1. What course the monarchy could have taken and 2. the leaglity of her reign and subsequent reigns.

I am in no way bringing into question the present Queen and this is purely for debate not to try and undermine our monarchy.

Last edited:
I am no constitutional scholar but it would have no effect on her right to reign because per the law a child born in a legal marriage is considered the father's unless the parents claim otherwise and since the Duke and Duchess of Kent never claimed otherwise....

Same thing goes for the "rumours" of Harry being James Hewitt's son. Unless, Charles claims otherwise legally Harry is Charles's son and third in line to the throne...

Caroline of Monaco would be the queen of the Uk today.

Probably not, because of the Catholic thing. But any good Protestant princess would have become queen.

Caroline of Monaco would be the queen of the Uk today.

No, Caroline's husband would lose the throne upon their marriage. Caroline's eldest step-son Ernest Augustus would reign as Ernest Augustus VI today had Queen Victoria's father disputed her paternity.

No, Caroline's husband would lose the throne upon their marriage. Caroline's eldest step-son Ernest Augustus would reign as Ernest Augustus VI today had Queen Victoria's father disputed her paternity.
But Ernst August would be King since 1987, and at the time he and Caroline were not married; so, maybe she would have convert to Anglicanism before the marriage....

Where are these media articles and where might I read them?
Who are the suggesting the father of Queen Victoria might have been?

But Ernst August would be King since 1987, and at the time he and Caroline were not married; so, maybe she would have convert to Anglicanism before the marriage....
Probably he would not have divorced Ms. Hochuli (his wife in 1987) if he had been king, but there is really no sense in discussing that, as you never know.

Probably he would not have divorced Ms. Hochuli (his wife in 1987) if he had been king, but there is really no sense in discussing that, as you never know.
Yes, you're right...it's a nonsense...

The Ernest August we know today may not even exist since he is also a descent of Queen Victoria. I doubt Victoria's children/descendants would have made such illustrious marriages had she been declared illegitimate and not inherited the throne.

The Ernest August we know today may not even exist since he is also a descent of Queen Victoria. I doubt Victoria's children/descendants would have made such illustrious marriages had she been declared illegitimate and not inherited the throne.

Interesting idea :flowers:. But let's assume that Albert made a good marriage, inherited the Duchy from his brother and that his children married well. His eldest daughter caught the eye of the Crown Prince of Prussia/Germany and became empress Frederick..... It was suppossed to be a love marriage, thus I guess frederick would have offered for Vicky even if she was just Princess of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha...

Interesting idea :flowers:. But let's assume that Albert made a good marriage, inherited the Duchy from his brother and that his children married well. His eldest daughter caught the eye of the Crown Prince of Prussia/Germany and became empress Frederick..... It was suppossed to be a love marriage, thus I guess frederick would have offered for Vicky even if she was just Princess of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha...
True, but imagine all the other dynastic pairings that would have also been affected.

I remember Ernest August's aunt, Queen Frederika of Greece, mentioned in her 1953 interview/cover story with Time magazine how if it weren't for Queen Victoria, her father would be King of England today. In the story, she comes off as very smug about her royal connections and elitist about her status even though she professed to be of the people. Anyway, she did not mention she herself descended from Queen Victoria.

...at the same time Prince Phillip gave his DNA, for research in regard to the legitimacy of Queen Victoria.
The "legitimacy of Queen Victoria"? When was this research published?

Hello Warren!Apparently there was some discussion as to Queen Victoria's legitimacy, as it was believed that she was an illegitimate child by her mother Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. It was said that she had an affair with a Sir John Conroy who was in charge of the royal finances.In later life Queen Victoria told the Duke of Wellington that one reason she hated Sir John was that she had witnessed 'some familiarities' between the Irish soldier and her mother.What "forced" the issue to the surface, was that Victoria's grandfather George III suffered from porphyria, a condition causing madness, flatulence, itchy skin and discoloured urine. It is a hereditary condition that none of Victoria's descendants have ever suffered from.Prince Phillip was asked for his DNA as he is apparently the oldest living male related to her family.Regards,Charles.

Yes, I understand there are authors who claim QV was Conroy's daughter but I'm wondering when the definitive research, which included Prince Philip's blood sample, was published.

As to QV witnessing "some familiarities" between her mother and Conroy, she must have witnessed them some (or quite a few) years after her own birth. Unless the "familiarities" were occuring nine months prior to May 1819, Victoria's statement to the Duke of Wellington is not really evidence one way or the other.

Royal Watch News

Mar 4, 2009, 10:55 GMT

Britain's Queen Victoria was illegitimate, her biographer has claimed.
A. N. Wilson says his research has confirmed 19th century rumours about the parentage of Britain's longest-serving monarch.
He claims even Victoria knew "evil genius" Sir John Conroy, Comptroller of the royal household, was her father and hated him for it.
He wrote in Britain's The Daily Mail newspaper: "In later life Queen Victoria told the Duke of Wellington that one reason she hated Sir John was that she had witnessed 'some familiarities' between the Irish soldier and her mother.
"Victoria was an intelligent - if maddening - woman. Surely she guessed, or feared, that she was Conroy's "The old Duke of Kent, her supposed father, was well 'past it' by the time Victoria was conceived. Moreover, there is the family's curious medical history which we now know, and which surely requires some explanation."
Victoria's grandfather George III suffered from porphyria, a condition causing madness, flatulence, itchy skin and discoloured urine. It is a hereditary condition that none of Victoria's have suffered from.
Wilson said: "There is another curious medical fact. We know Queen Victoria passed on haemophilia to her descendants. Seventeen generations of the family on Queen Victoria's mother's side have been investigated by scientists at the Royal Society of Medicine. Not one has haemophilia.
"Nor was there any haemophilia in the Royal Family before Victoria, so the finger really does point to Queen Victoria's father having been someone other than the Duke of Kent. It must have been the awful Sir John Conroy with that haemophiliac gene."
Medical inconsistencies also suggest Prince Albert - the German cousin Queen Victoria - was also illegitimate.
Wilson said: "His mother had been dismissed from the court of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha for having an affair with the Jewish chamberlain, the Baron von Mayern, a cultivated, musical, intelligent man.
"Both Albert's stupid, lecherous, drunken and supposed father, the Duke of Saxe-Coburg, and his brother Ernst had hereditary syphilis, but there is no trace of this in the life of Albert who, like the Baron von Mayern, was intelligent, musical and cultivated.
"Unlike his own Saxe-Coburg relations, he was also a pillar of family rectitude and marital loyalty."

:previous:

This portrait was on the dust cover of an excellent biograpy of Queen Victoria: Victoria by Stanley Weintraub

Hi,
I think I need help, can anybody tell me something about the education of queen victoria and of her duties as queen?
Perhaps someone can even give me a link where everything is explained?

please :sad:

I wonder which book she was reading, perhaps a book of royal genealogy or Burke's, where she reportedly stated that "I am nearer to the throne than I thought." ?

When William iv was king what was the line of descent?

Victoria was heir presumptive but who was next in line, etc.

When William iv was king what was the line of descent?

Victoria was heir presumptive but who was next in line, etc.

After Victoria came the Duke of Cumberland (who became King of Hannover of the death of William IV as Victoria was barred due to being female) and then his son George followed by the Duke of Cambridge and his son and then his daughters and so on down the children of George III.

After Victoria came the Duke of Cumberland (who became King of Hannover of the death of William IV as Victoria was barred due to being female) and then his son George followed by the Duke of Cambridge and his son and then his daughters and so on down the children of George III.

Thank you so much for your information and fast response. The film 'Young Victoria' made me curious

The Mystery of England's Debt

When George the Third came to the throne in 1760, the national debt of England was one hundred and thirty millions of pounds. The American war raised it to two hundred and sixty millions. The insensate warfare against the French Revolution made it five hundred and seventy millions; and by the time Napoleon was safely landed in Saint Helena, the debt amounted to the inconceivable sum of eight hundred and sixty-five millions of pounds. It may be safely asserted, that every guinea of this debt was unnecessary, and all except a few millions of it may be considered the price which Great Britain has paid, or is to pay, for allowing four such men as the four Georges of Hanover to occupy the first place in the government, -- a place in which a wise and able man could do no very radical good, but one in which an incompetent man may work prodigious harm.

Found this at Queen Victoria - Succession - Eminent Women of the Age - Women's History

So what happened to this debt? Who was the debt owed to?

Victoria had to have had it on her shoulders, did she not? How was it paid off?

Back
Top Bottom