Queen Victoria (1819-1901)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am glad you like it Harry. I also suggest to you to view the A & E miniseries Victoria and Albert. While there are wide gaps and some inaccuracies, I think you will find it interesting! Also, try to get a look at A & E's Biography of Queen Victoria.

Last edited by a moderator:
Portrait of Queen Victoria:

© 1999-2000
www.arttoday.com

victoria-portrait.jpg

Thank you Tiaraprin. Interesting dress. How old was she here?

Idriel said:
Thank you Tiaraprin. Interesting dress. How old was she here?

It did not say at the website. I would venture it was shortly after her coronation in 1837. She is wearing the George IV diadem and the royal robes and appears thin. Victoria gained weight as marriage and children piled on the pounds!

Yes, the style of dress looks as though it dates from early in her reign.

Edward, Duke of Kent, Victoria's father

Queen Victoria's father, The Duke of Kent:

www.pbs.org

Elspeth said:
Victoria's children and grandchildren can be found in most of the European royal families of the 19th and 20th centuries, including Catholic and Orthodox ones such as Spain and Russia as well as Protestant ones.

I found a descendant, William, son of Henry, Duke of Gloucester, who died in a plane crash in 1972 , he found out that he had porphiria some years before his death.

Queen Victoria died at the age of 81 of natural causes in January 1901.

Does anyone know which monarch was the last one to pay a state visit to Queen Victoria? It should've been some time in 1900.

LanderB

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I just joined the forum and look forward to posting and replying to everyone.

One question. Does anyone have any updated information on Queen Victoria and John Brown? I really do believe he was her lover in a quiet tender way. What does everyone think of this? Or, is there a thread already about this? Please let me know:king: :king:

HI welcome on board,
I've just started reading a book on John Brown, I'll let you know what I think about him:rolleyes: .
Victorias response to the OB/GYN advice is hilarious. This coming from the founder of Victorian etiquette and prudery;) .
However, she was also one of the very first women to use anesthetics in childbirth, and even though the whole of oldfashioned Britain screamed that her son's hemophilia was a result to this, a punishment for "depriving God of the most sincerest cries of female remorse" she went on using it for each of the consecutive labours, describing childbirth as a walk in the park :)

Queen Victoria was not the "founder of Victorian etiquette and prudery" at all. She was not an overt follower of etiquette nor was she particularly prudish for the time.

That various customs, fashions etc. are labelled "Victorian" is not necessarily anything to do with Queen Victoria herself.

I can't remember if I read it here or if it was somewhere else, but after Victoria had her youngest child, The Princess Beatrice, she was advised not to have anymore children. Her reply was, "What, I can't have fun in bed anymore?"

I don't think that is very prudish. LOL

Queen Victoria and her Family

I am rather new to this forum. This may have been done before but, I would like to start a new thread about Queen Victoria, her family and descendants. She is probably my favorite Queen of England. The whole Victorian Age interests me. I have just read the book about Queen Victoria's daughters and would like to hear other opinions on them. I am most fasinated with Alice and Louise. Anyway, I look forward to this discussion.

Thanks,

Beth

Predictions and prophecies in a life of Royal dynasties.

___I am interested in this theme for a long time. The last year the known Russian publishing house has published my book « Fatal Predictions of Russia » (the predictions and the prophecies in the life of the last Russian emperor Nicholas II). During work under this book I have read the book of English foreteller Louis Hamon (Cheiro) “ Fate in the Making Revelations of a Lifetime ” (1931, N-Y and London). Very interesting!
___In chapter IV (“ King Edward VII ”) Hamon wrote:
___“ It is no secret now that King Edward was extremely superstitious in certain matters. Perhaps it would be more correct to say that he had an intense belief in occultism, in events foretold by premonitions, and so forth. Even Queen Victoria, strong minded woman though she was, often incurred the displeasure of her consort, Prince Albert, by bemoaning a broken mirror or the spilling of salt … ” Further in this chapter Hamon in detail tells about his meetings with King Edward VII, when Prince of Wales. In particular, he writes:
___«During this talk, he [Prince of Wales] got me to work out, without my knowledge, the charts of the Kaiser and of the Czar of Russia, as well as those of members of the British Royal Family; he gave me the date of birth but not the name of each person … »
___Chapter VII of his book is devote to Hamon's meetings with Nicholas II.
___In more detail about these meetings you can read in my posts at this Forum:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f80/nicholas-alexandra-8643-5.html#post605506

Boris Romanov
Saint Petersburg

Russia

___P.S. I’m sorry for my imperfect English.

___You can see also my article “New book about Nicholas II”:

http://www.petroprognoz.spb.ru/articles/12apr7-NicholasII.html

___and MUCH MORE DETAILS in my article “Emperor who knew the destiny” (in Russian):

http://www.petroprognoz.spb.ru/articles/Imperator-11-10-2006.html

P.P.S. Of course, in Russia we know and remember that Empress Alexandra Feodorovna (Nikolay's II wife) was the grand-daughter of Queen Victoria:flowers:

I admire Queen Victoria, she is one of my favorite Queens in England; first being Queen Elizabeth (Tudor Dynasty).

According to 'National Treasure 2', Queen Victoria supported the Confederacy during the US Civil War because a divided United States was better for Britian and Britian relied on cotton from the South. Is there any truth to this? What is a good source to read more about this?

Queen Victoria and the US Civil War

The Union was quick to impose a naval blockade. One result was seizing the steamer Trent on the high seas and detaining a couple of Confederate agents in 1861. The problem was the Trent was a British ship.

The UK mobilized for war and was in the process of sending troops to Canada. Prince Albert intervened and slowed things down. Tempers cooled and the invasion of the USA that would have secured the Confederacy never happened. He died shortly thereafter.

Queen Victoria was personally friendly with the Duchess of Sutherland, a foe of slavery.

So Queen Victoria was friends with the Duchess who was anti-slavery, but was willing to help the Confederacy because a British ship was captured in a Union blockade? That sounds a little messed up.

Question about Victoria's title before she became QV...

I have a question about QV's title before she became Queen.

Before she became Queen, wiki.com has her title listed as "heiress presumptive." My questions is, since the death of her father, shouldn't her title have been "heiress apparent" because her father couldn't have any more children (any more sons) to out rank her in the line of succession to the throne; therefore, she should have been heiress apparent because there was no doubt that she would become queen. It was not possible at the time for her to have any younger brothers to out rank her because her father was dead. Why then, was she only known as "heiress presumptive" and not "heiress apparent?"

Thank you if you can answer my question. :flowers:

She was heiress presumptive because her uncle, King William IV, could have fathered a surviving legitimate child who would have been ahead of Victoria in the line of succession. If William had fathered a daughter, she would have been heiress presumptive, too, as she could have had a brother later on who would have been heir apparent.

^ Oh ok, makes sense. I guess I over looked that because of her uncle's old age. He was 72 when he died, but I guess there was still the slight possibility that he could fathered childen.

Thank you for answering my question. :)

Ruby Princess asked, "So Queen Victoria was friends with the Duchess who was anti-slavery, but was willing to help the Confederacy because a British ship was captured in a Union blockade? That sounds a little messed up."

Her husband, Prince Albert, intervened to allow things to settle down. I don't think her husband would have done that if she was pro-slavery. Its safe to believe she supported his actions that kept the UK out of the US Civil War.

I find this topic very interesting because it certainly isn't covered in our history classes when we learn about the Civil War. Does anybody know of any good books that talk about this in depth?

V&A's Role in US Civil War

The Civil War was magically skipped back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I took high school history. Junior year history ended in 1861 and senior year history began in 1865.

A good biography of Queen Victoria should have something about the Trent incident.

Your history classes skipped the Civil War?!:ohmy: My sophmore year history class went thru the end of the civil war and junior year history started with the reconstruction after the civil war. I remember this because my sophmore history teacher was a CW buff who would spend his summer vacations riding his motorcycle all over visiting various battlegrounds, etc. It's such a huge part of our country's history, which is young compared to European countries, that I surprised you skipped it.

I did find a older biography of Queen Victoria belonging to my mother that mentioned the Trent affair but didn't get too indepth.

I did a term paper on the Civil War for Junior year History, but the war was not covered. This was in the sate of New York. Apparently its much, much different in the states that made up the Confederacy. They cover it in depth.

I learned about the Civil War on my own and what I found out was different from what US citizens get. The war was won in the west while nitwits lost opportunities in Virginia - in various places in Tennessee, Vicksburg, and by Sherman's invasion of the southern core.

I've always liked Queen Victoria, for obvious reasons, but perhaps moreso than others might be aware of.

She had a life-long close relationship/bond with Queen Emma of Hawai'i, which is something that should be admired (hence time and context, if you know what I mean.) This relationship, a pen pal of sorts, was unlikely from the start, but the one major aspect/experience that connected the two: both lost loved ones that they were very close with. Queen Victoria lost Albert. Queen Emma lost her son, Albert Edward Kauikeaouli Leiopapa.

Queen Emma spent time at Windsor Castle with Queen Victoria and during their second meeting, the Queen wrote extensively in her diary, that same evening, about how she was so worried about Emma as well as detailing the meeting between her, Emma, the future Emperor Frederick III of Germany, and his wife the Princess Royal.

Clearly the relationship was an emotional bond and perhaps spiritual one as well. What some may not know is that Queen Victoria was the god-mother of Queen Emma's son and had a fondness towards Kamehameha IV.

A few images of her illustrious majesty :)

Attachments

• portrait of QV.jpg
    portrait of QV.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 938
  • Qn Victoria.jpg
    Qn Victoria.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 482
  • QueenVictoria !!!!!!!!!!.jpg
    QueenVictoria !!!!!!!!!!.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 733
  • closeup of QV.jpg
    closeup of QV.jpg