Queen Victoria (1819-1901)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone read the book that came out recently by Julia Baird on Queen Victoria? I have read excellent reviews on it, but I am always more interested in what people on these forums think. I read one article that said there were people connected to the Royal family that didn't want it published because of some of the things it reveals. I wish I could remember where I read that and I would link it.

I don't know where to put this question, but since Lady Geraldine Somerset is mentioned in a book I read about Queen Victoria I will put it here. I have read quite a few books in the past year in the British Royal Family and in many of these books, Lady Geraldine Somerset's diary is mentioned. Has her diary been published? I think it would be fascinating to read.

Hopefully the dampness problems have been resolved ,its been shut since the autumn of 2007 .

The Lord Mayor of London asked Queen Victoria if she would come to open the Blackfriars Bridge when it was completed. Victoria regreted that it was quite out of the question for her to do anything of the kind in the heat of the summer. In the event when November came, she opened the bridge on November 6, 1869.

Does anyone know anything about the book, The Last Kaiser : The Life of Wilhelm II
by Giles MacDonogh? Its get good reviews on Thriftbooks.com. I am asking here because he was the son-in-law of Queen Victoria and this board is more active than other royal family boards.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-312-27673-7 has information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know anything about the book, The Last Kaiser : The Life of Wilhelm II
by Giles MacDonogh? Its get good reviews on Thriftbooks.com. I am asking here because he was the son-in-law of Queen Victoria and this board is more active than other royal family boards.

Did you check his own thread? Maybe there's something in there?
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f214/kaiser-wilhelm-ii-1859-1941-and-family-16487.html

or the "Royal Library" subforum on this site
Royal Library - The Royal Forums

Last edited:
In March 1887 Queen Victoria went to lay the first stone of the Medical Hall in London University.

Queen Victoria's last drive from Osbourne House
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-1...last-drive-from-osbourne-house-167039780.html

When Colonel Secrertary Joseph Chamberlain suggested restricting the Diamond Jubilee's foreign guest list to the heads and representatives of the countries of the British Empire, Queen Victoria agreed to the ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found this 9 volume set of letters of Queen Victoria. Oh my goodness!!! I would love to have them, but I cannot pay $500. I looked for each book from the set and they are more than I like to pay for books. Does anyone know if each book can be found for less than $10? I am sure I am dreaming that I could get one of them that cheaply.

Last edited:

Wilhelm II was Queen Victoria’s grandson. His father was the Queen’s son-in-law.

I have another family relation question. The book that I am reading "Letters to Vicky" seems to indicate that Princess Alice's husband and Princess Beatrice's husband were related. Is that true, or am I misreading something?

I have another family relation question. The book that I am reading "Letters to Vicky" seems to indicate that Princess Alice's husband and Princess Beatrice's husband were related. Is that true, or am I misreading something?
Yes, they were first cousins. Alice's husband Grand Duke Louis of Hesse was the son of Prince Charles the older brother of Prince Alexander of Hesse, Henry of Battenberg's father. Henry's mother Julia von Hauke was a countess (not Royal) so her marriage to Alexander was morganatic which is why Henry was a Battenberg not a Hesse.

BTW, Princess Alice’s daughter Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine (Queen Victoria’s granddaughter) married Prince Louis of Battenberg the year before Princess Beatrice married his brother Prince Henry of Battenberg.
It’s this Louis/Victoria Battenberg line that Prince Phillip descends from.

Princess Alice's husband Ludwig Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine, and the Battenberg brothers (Louis (Victoria of Hesse's husband, Henry, Beatrice's husband, and Alexander, who Prss Victoria of Prussia fell in love with but couldn't marry) were first cousins. The brothers' father married morganatically to a beautiful Hungarian Countess, and so they had a different lineage.

Last edited:
Princess Alice's husband Ludwig Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine, and the Battenberg brothers (Louis (Victoria of Hesse's husband, Henry, Beatrice's husband, and Alexander, who Margaret of Prussia fell in love with but couldn't marry) were first cousins. The brothers' father married morganatically to a beautiful Hungarian Countess, and so they had a different lineage.
Polish not Hungarian. Queen Mary's grandfather married the beautiful Hungarian countess. [emoji3]

Yes, thanks Gawin. A bit of misremembering there! Her grandmother was the one Queen Mary referred to when she said of her ancestry 'Some of us come from Transylvania!'

Julie (the Battenberg brothers mother) was reputedly beautiful, though, and of mixed heritage. (Perhaps her children got their good looks from her.) Her father was a Polish general of German descent. Her mother Sophie (Lafontaine) a mixed bag with French, Italian, German and Hungarian ancestry.

Yes, they were first cousins. Alice's husband Grand Duke Louis of Hesse was the son of Prince Charles the older brother of Prince Alexander of Hesse, Henry of Battenberg's father. Henry's mother Julia von Hauke was a countess (not Royal) so her marriage to Alexander was morganatic which is why Henry was a Battenberg not a Hesse.

Thank you. That was driving me crazy.

All of the royal families were related in one way or another! For example, Grand Duchess Marie of Russia, wife of Queen Victoria's second son Alfred Duke of Edinburgh (and later Saxe-Coburg & Gotha), was yet another first cousin. Her mother, Empress Marie, was born Princess Marie of Hesse, a sister of Prince Charles and Prince Alexander.

Did not Queen Victoria want her children to be a model family?

Are there any recordings of Queen Victoria speaking? I would guess probably not.

This is the recording I found, of course not very good since very old and from the early days of recording...

Observers described Queen Victoria's voice as 'silvery' and 'bell-like', even in old age. Doesn't sound like that on these, lol. I'm not sure that is QV's voice really.

If you open the first video and click on "Show More" you read this [boldfacing mine]:

"I managed to digitally remaster the 1888 graphophone recording of Queen Victoria to the best of my ability. Here is what I believe Her Majesty is saying."

So it's unclear to me how much is authentic and how much was "added."

Back
Top Bottom