Queen Victoria (1819-1901)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always taken it that Victoria, young, inexperienced and rather naive, developed something of a schoolgirl crush on Lord Melbourne. He advised her and must have seemed very witty and sophisticated. London Society seems to have treated the crush as rather a joke.

I think Victoria always had weight issues, probably a gift from her Hanovarian forebears. She started out as a slender young Queen yet within a year she complained that she was putting on weight and would have to do lots of horse riding. I think she was active and energetic when young (lots of dancing, walking and horse riding) but turned to comfort food sometimes when stressed.
And add the fact that she had nine children in less than seventeen years...

^ Of course having all those children would have wrecked her figure. However, in my post and in the ones above, we were discussing the period before her marriage, the time of Lord Melbourne and the first three years of her reign.

^ Of course having all those children would have wrecked her figure. However, in my post and in the ones above, we were discussing the period before her marriage, the time of Lord Melbourne and the first three years of her reign.
Ah yes. She was described as "plump as a partridge" as a child.

To be fair though, the BO and overweight thing of the young Queen Victoria, referred to in the above article linked by eya, occurred when she had a fit of the glooms. It was after the Flora Hastings and Ladies of the Bedchamber affair where she'd been heavily criticised and she was fed up with everything.

Last edited:
It sounds like perhaps it would have been a good thing to have the Head Together campaign back in Victoria's time as a young Queen. The depression, the overeating and gulping alcohol are a good indication of how Victoria dealt with things that she thought she couldn't handle or even some as a way to strike back at her mother for her high handed treatment of her. I would think that after a lifetime of being "told" how to conduct every area of her life, she would have been more than a little intimidated by mama.

My armchair psychology isn't the best in the world.

I've always taken it that Victoria, young, inexperienced and rather naive, developed something of a schoolgirl crush on Lord Melbourne. He advised her and must have seemed very witty and sophisticated. London Society seems to have treated the crush as rather a joke.

I when stressed.
Of course she had a crush on him. he was a combination of father figure and handsome man.

Also, Denville, Lord M. was a witty man in that rather cynical Regency way that sometimes shocked the next generation. Victoria laughed at his witticisms. There was also the matter of his very romantic sort of past even if the Regency era was often regarded with horror by the Victorians, who regarded it as hopelessly immoral and depraved in all sorts of ways.

Victoria was told by an older lady of the Court about Melbourne's wife Lady Caroline Lamb and her liaison with Lord Byron and her later antics. She was terribly shocked that a wife could behave so to her husband 'when she should have been his help and support in all things'.

Therefore Melbourne had the added attraction in her eyes of being a wronged and tragic figure, (even though Melbourne loved his errant wife all his life and never remarried after her death.)

I must have missed that story, Curryong. I think that Vic was ab it in love with him. He was middle aged but attractive, he was witty and clever and she looked up to him. He made her laugh and taught her things..
I don't think she had learned as much as she should under the guidance of her mother.. ad Lezhen.. so she needed a mentor when she became queen.
but as with John Brown in a differnet way, Vic would never have considered him consciously as a sexual partner or possible husband. SHe was IMO only likely to marry antoher royal.
As regards his past, I think that Victoria wasn't quite as prudish then as she became under Albert's influence... And was prepared to make exceptions about immoral behaviour if she was fond of someone.

Last edited:
They were the deeply personal etchings which caused a legal scandal, requiring Queen Victoria and Prince Albert to legally block pictures of their baby daughter and home life going on show without their permission.

Now, a secret volume of those very images, presented to Prince Albert’s loyal private secretary in thanks for his evidence in court, is to be put on display for the first time, after being given back to the Royal family as a wedding present.

A rare volume of 74 etchings, personally annotated by Victoria and given to George Anson, is to be displayed at Harewood House, and includes images by Victoria and Albert of their children, pets and one another.
Read more: The secret collection of Queen Victoria's personal etchings which caused a privacy scandal over Royal baby pictures*

I have made it through fourteen chapters of the book "Queen Victoria, Born to Succeed." by Elizabeth Longford, and I am finding it difficult to read. It is interesting, but it is so confusing in places. Did anyone else have this experience with this book? It was published in 1964 so that may have something to do with it, but I find myself having to go back and reread.

I have made it through fourteen chapters of the book "Queen Victoria, Born to Succeed." by Elizabeth Longford, and I am finding it difficult to read. It is interesting, but it is so confusing in places. Did anyone else have this experience with this book? It was published in 1964 so that may have something to do with it, but I find myself having to go back and reread.

As an update to this previous post of mine, I am getting close to finishing the Longord book about Queen Victoria, and it is tedious to read. I stay confused about what is going on. I think I needed to take a course in British history before reading it. I am understanding the overall picture of what is going on, but the finer details are hard to follow. Can anyone recommend a more recent book about Queen Victoria that is a little less tedious? Does anyone know about the book by Julia Baird, "Victoria: The Queen: An Intimate Biography of the Woman Who Ruled an Empire" that came out this past October? Thanks.

I'm sorry that you found Elizabeth Longford's book on Vic tedious. I loved it because I found it packed with detail but perhaps you're right and you do need to know a good deal about the ins and outs of British history before you read it.

I was given the Julia Baird book as a birthday present. It's a massive tome and I did enjoy it, (though not so much as the Longford, funnily enough. What books you enjoy is such a subjective thing isn't it?) I missed the intimate little details with Baird but it is written in a very clear way and deals with Victoria's official life very well. Because it's quite expensive to buy perhaps try a lending library first...

I'm sorry that you found Elizabeth Longford's book on Vic tedious. I loved it because I found it packed with detail but perhaps you're right and you do need to know a good deal about the ins and outs of British history before you read it.

I was given the Julia Baird book as a birthday present. It's a massive tome and I did enjoy it, (though not so much as the Longford, funnily enough. What books you enjoy is such a subjective thing isn't it?) I missed the intimate little details with Baird but it is written in a very clear way and deals with Victoria's official life very well. Because it's quite expensive to buy perhaps try a lending library first...

Thanks. Books like Longford's makes me want to study British history but I don't know where to start. :confused:

Thanks. Books like Longford's makes me want to study British history but I don't know where to start. :confused:

When I want to learn more about a history subject I go a few different things:

- I google or go onto Wikipedia and read a bit about the subject - Wikipedia is great for this because it’ll link you to related subjects as well.

- I read a general history book (ie something on the history of England)

While doing that, I’ll make note of what interests me in the subject, then read more on that.

That said, if you’ve already read a biography on Victoria and anything in it caught your interest, you’d be well served to read more on those subjects.

If you want a general history that ties well to the English/British Crown, I really recommend David Starkey’s Crown and Country.

When I want to learn more about a history subject I go a few different things:

- I google or go onto Wikipedia and read a bit about the subject - Wikipedia is great for this because it’ll link you to related subjects as well.

- I read a general history book (ie something on the history of England)

While doing that, I’ll make note of what interests me in the subject, then read more on that.

That said, if you’ve already read a biography on Victoria and anything in it caught your interest, you’d be well served to read more on those subjects.

If you want a general history that ties well to the English/British Crown, I really recommend David Starkey’s Crown and Country.
Thanks. I will look for Starkey's book.

As an update to this previous post of mine, I am getting close to finishing the Longord book about Queen Victoria, and it is tedious to read. I stay confused about what is going on. I think I needed to take a course in British history before reading it. I am understanding the overall picture of what is going on, but the finer details are hard to follow. Can anyone recommend a more recent book about Queen Victoria that is a little less tedious? Does anyone know about the book by Julia Baird, "Victoria: The Queen: An Intimate Biography of the Woman Who Ruled an Empire" that came out this past October? Thanks.

I recall once reading a book entitled "Her Little Majesty", by Corinne Hall? It gave a wonderful insight into Victoria's psychology. The diffident woman was so very different from the imperatrix who, so ably, wore the crown. In varying moments I ached for the lonely little girl who was never able, because of it, to bond with children of her own age. Couldn't, for the life of me, see why Albert would love such a selfish and autocratic little tyrant, despite her eagerness for sex!! Railed against -but fully understood- her seeming inability to show her children love...................but returned to sadness for the young woman, whose beloved husband's too early death meant that "Now there's no one left to call me Victoria".

The oldest film of Queen Victoria from October 3, 1896

I recall once reading a book entitled "Her Little Majesty", by Corinne Hall? It gave a wonderful insight into Victoria's psychology. The diffident woman was so very different from the imperatrix who, so ably, wore the crown. In varying moments I ached for the lonely little girl who was never able, because of it, to bond with children of her own age. Couldn't, for the life of me, see why Albert would love such a selfish and autocratic little tyrant, despite her eagerness for sex!! Railed against -but fully understood- her seeming inability to show her children love...................but returned to sadness for the young woman, whose beloved husband's too early death meant that "Now there's no one left to call me Victoria".

Thank you so much for this recommendation. I had literally been thinking the past couple of days that I would like to read a psychological study of her.
The book I am reading is the first I have read on her and she was definitely a complex individual. The thing that has impressed me about her is her awareness of her faults and her desire to improve.

ETA: The only book i can find with that title is by Carrolly Erikson.

Last edited:
It took me the longest time for me to be able to read about Victoria and my eyes not glaze over. She lived a long life and there were just too many people coming and going and it was hard to keep up.

It may seem a bit low brow but I recommend watching the Edward the Seventh series on Youtube, Victoria is pretty much the star of the first four episodes and then she is a main character for episodes 5-10. From there I recommend documentaries, by the way I will be the first to admit that there are inaccuracies and dramatic license even in the documentaries, but after getting to know Victoria (and her kin) through the Edward the Seventh series and documentaries, it made reading about her more digestible and easier to understand the numerous players.

ETA:
Link to episode one of Edward the Seventh series

Last edited:
:previous:
Thank you so much. I will do that. One of the things that is so confusing to me about the Born to Succeed book are the many parts of it related to the government at that time. It talks about all her political machinations and these different Bills that she was for and against without giving any intelligible background information on what they were. I think I need to study the government during her reign. I feel that the author, Elizabeth Longford, assumes the reader already has that understanding. However, it was published in 1964 so people 50 years ago probably did have a better understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love British history but Victoria is too modern for me. I have read a few biographies including Longford. I found actually having Wikipedia open next to me came in handy. If there was something that came up in the book that I wanted some clarification on, I switched over to my computer for a bit. Took a bit longer to read but definitely helped.

I do enjoy watching the odd video/movie about her. But I take it for what it is, entertainment, as stated even documentaries take poetic license in their story. But just as I love a historical fiction novel, the odd movie/documentary is great too for a good cold day in the house.

Thank you so much for this recommendation. I had literally been thinking the past couple of days that I would like to read a psychological study of her.
The book I am reading is the first I have read on her and she was definitely a complex individual. The thing that has impressed me about her is her awareness of her faults and her desire to improve.

ETA: The only book i can find with that title is by Carrolly Erikson.

Thank-you for that, Duchessrachel. It was, indeed, Carolly Erikson. I think one of the most touching -and revealing- things I've ever seen attributed to her, was her warning to her granddaughter Alix, the soon to be "Empress Of All The Russias", when the excited girl bought out yet more expensive baubles, part of Nicholas's engagement gifts, for her inspection, "Now, Alicky, you must not become proud"................I feel sure that the irony was lost on her.

I am about to start a new book called "Victoria's Daughters" by Jerrold M. Packard. It got 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon, but one review gave me pause. One of the 1 star review said there are lots of mistakes in it. Has anyone read it that can verify this? I don't want to waste my time if what I am reading is not reliable. Thanks.

I am currently reading "Victoria's Daughters" by Packard and so far it is very interesting. I love all the history that is being covered and explained in a very readable, understandable way. It has really gotten me interested in the Hohenzollern family of Prussia. I am wanting to read the book "Letters to Vicky: The Correspondence Between Queen Victoria and Her Daughter Victoria, Empress of Germany, 1858-1901",if I can find it at a reasonable price. Before I read it, though, I would like to learn more about the Hohenzollern family of Prussia and as much history of that time as I can, so that I can better relate to what Vicky is writing about to Queen Victoria. Can anyone recommend a book or books about Prussia and/or the Hohenzollerns? I am finding that the more I read, the more I need (and want ) to read to learn more about what I just read :lol: Also, is there a good book to read on Princess Vicky? Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm fairly new to these forums but have been a royal buff for years. I really love the royal texts by John Van Der Kiste. I own most of his books. I love Hessian Tapesty by David Duff and Theo Aronsons' Grandmama of Europe.

I'm fairly new to these forums but have been a royal buff for years. I really love the royal texts by John Van Der Kiste. I own most of his books. I love Hessian Tapesty by David Duff and Theo Aronsons' Grandmama of Europe.

Welcome to the forums, and thank you for that recommendation. I will look at some of his books.

I use these links to find books about royals I am interested in. Maybe they will help you too:

hanes456 recommended John Van Der Kiste. You can search WorldCat for books written by him:
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=au:Van+der+Kiste,+John.&qt=hot_author

You can also search for books about specific royals. For example, this link displays a list of books about Crown Princess Cecilie:
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=s...f+the+German+Empire+and+of+Prussia,+1886-1954

Or books containing letters written by the Empress Frederick:
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=s...III,+German+Emperor,+1840-1901+Correspondence

You can also read older books (not covered by copyright law) online at www.archive.org. For example, here's a link to "Potsdam Princes" by Ethel Howard, who was the English governess of Emperor William II's sons:
https://archive.org/stream/potsdamprinces00howaiala#page/n9/mode/2up

I use these links to find books about royals I am interested in. Maybe they will help you too:

hanes456 recommended John Van Der Kiste. You can search WorldCat for books written by him:
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=au:Van+der+Kiste,+John.&qt=hot_author

You can also search for books about specific royals. For example, this link displays a list of books about Crown Princess Cecilie:
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=s...f+the+German+Empire+and+of+Prussia,+1886-1954

Or books containing letters written by the Empress Frederick:
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=s...III,+German+Emperor,+1840-1901+Correspondence

You can also read older books (not covered by copyright law) online at www.archive.org. For example, here's a link to "Potsdam Princes" by Ethel Howard, who was the English governess of Emperor William II's sons:
https://archive.org/stream/potsdamprinces00howaiala#page/n9/mode/2up

Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom