Queen Victoria (1819-1901)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Much as I love and am entertained by and very interested in all things royal, to aspire to owning bloomers owned or otherwise by Victoria or any other monarch is a bit a tad too far!

I'm sure she owned hundreds during her long life. I, for one am not interested!

Last edited:
I think if Q.Victoria had known her undergarments would be sold to the public after her death, she would have ordered to burn them all :lol:

Reactions: eya
I agree. This is something of Victoria's that should have been kept a Secret.

I'm actually amazed that once Victoria became Queen she didn't insist on living on one level of the palace. Stories I've heard is that she wasn't ever allowed to walk down or up a flight of stairs without an attendant.

Is that as Queen or as a child?

I would believe it as a child - her mother was ridiculously strict - but as Queen she was considerably more in charge of herself, and I can't see someone putting that kind of restriction on her (and her actually following it).

As Queen, she finally escaped her mother's clutches and began to really have a life of her own and I would imagine every time she went up and down the stairs she would remember what part they played in her growing up. We really don't know though how it all affected her and she may not have ever even given it a second thought once she had her life as she wanted it to be.

I read somewhere lately that THAT famous statement by Queen Victoria was not, in fact her trademark statement!

The statement "We are not amused" was apparently delivered, and only once, during a dinner to a fellow diner who had a bit of a filter deficiency! His rather rough expressions of speach or inuendo was against Her Magesty's protocol, and she (probably sharply) took him to task! Good on her! :)

I also scored 27 out of 30 and to be totally honest, there were a few that I got right that I had to stop and think and answer solely by logic and not because I knew the answer. :D

29/30.
1 or 2 guesses.

27. I wasn't sure how old she was for marriage and I messed up on albrrta death. Or second assasination reason.

30/30 - however one of the questions doesn't have a correct answer anyway - the last one. Edward VII's reign was only 9 years and that wasn't an option so I went with 10 which they gave as correct.

30/30 - :fireworks:

I totally guessed on the question regarding the motive of the person who tried to assassinate QV. I made an educated guess regarding the governing quote.

Reactions: eya
Yes, same here 30/30, and squeaked it in for the same reason. I didn't know the person who tried to assassinate Vic was a disappointed poet! Lol!

They were also wrong on the age Victoria was when she married Albert. 21 was the 'correct' answer, only it wasn't. Victoria married in February 1840 and she wasn't 21 until the May.

Last edited:
Ha! I did that test, too! Glad that I was not the only one who found out some mistakes...

History laid bare! Tums back then - a lot more robust than today ( :lol: ) , but always fasinating to see how live was lived then and now.

I scored 30 out of 30, but admit that about 20% of my answers were lucky guesses, or correct only through the process of elimination ;)

Well I got 28/30. Apparently the biographies I've read minimized her 'fits of anger' (I guessed depression) :ROFLMAO: and I didn't know the answer to the one I guessed wrong on.
I watched Masterpiece Theater's opening episode of Victoria last night - interesting to compare it to the movie which came out several years ago and covered the same era of her life.
For those more knowledgable than I, does the PBS version fairly accurately portray the events?

Maybe we should move a discussion of the PBS presentation of "Victoria" to the electronic library thread (?) but I do have to say that I was very much impressed by the first segment of this series. Some things about Victoria weren't blatantly obvious such as the first scene where she tells her governess that she can walk down the stairs by herself. Up to that point, her mother ensured that she never descended or ascended a flight of stairs unassisted.

The machinations of the powers behind the throne clearly, to me, showed how much courage it took for Victoria to overcome a lifetime of being treated like a fragile doll baby than a real person and just stand up for herself and those that she felt she could trust. Her attachment to Lord Melborne was excellently portrayed as it showed just how insecure and floundering she was a first in her role as Queen and also as a woman in her own right.

I really would have cheered immensely if they had taken a bit of poetic license with the show and had Victoria actually push her mother or Conroy down the stairs themselves or banished them away from her presence. They were excellently portrayed as the self serving villains they were. :D

Looking forward to segment two coming up.

Movie and TV adaptations irritate the hell out of me. Every heroine needs to be a sylph-like ingenue. Victoria was very young, under 5 feet tall and plump as can be yet is invariably portrayed by older, taller and slimmer women.

How sexist is that, we have turned a great woman, Queen Victoria, a woman who reigned so long her era is called 'Victorian', into a pretty dolly! Good grief, they even imply she fell in love with Lord Melbourne, a man of 60 yet portrayed by a young and handsome man to give the notion credence.

The idea that Victoria would "fall in love" with such a man is laughable yet is now an accepted 'truth'!

Movie and TV adaptations irritate the hell out of me. Every heroine needs to be a sylph-like ingenue. Victoria was very young, under 5 feet tall and plump as can be yet is invariably portrayed by older, taller and slimmer women.

How sexist is that, we have turned a great woman, Queen Victoria, a woman who reigned so long her era is called 'Victorian', into a pretty dolly! Good grief, they even imply she fell in love with Lord Melbourne, a man of 60 yet portrayed by a young and handsome man to give the notion credence.

The idea that Victoria would "fall in love" with such a man is laughable yet is now an accepted 'truth'!

I actually didn't see it portrayed as much as Victoria "falling in love" with him but rather coming to rely on him and depend on him and his advice as someone she admired and could trust in an avuncular way. Now that you pointed it out though, it was a tad bit pointing towards insinuating that Victoria was falling for the man and he being "older and wiser" knew how to back off.

I guess too with the side story of Miss Skerritt and the chef seemingly heading towards a "illicit" type relationship that has absolutely nothing to do with historical facts kind of puts the required sexual and titillating elements that most productions feel they need to throw in there to keep the interest up.

Rufus Sewell is 49 - so no longer "young" though he is irritatingly handsome. Jenna is 30, and I find her acting compelling enough to forgive her weight. She does have fairly broad shoulders and hips. :lol:

Early portraits of her made her appear rather thin. I thought it was later that she got larger.

I also watched the show and the first thing that came to mind after about 20 minutes was how fast they went from scene to scene or incident of one day to another day without anything in between. Maybe I am not explaining it right but it seems that the show moved to fast in her life during this time, like walking down the stairs and then on to something else without explaining what that meant to viewers that did not know her mother had such control over her life that she could not even do that alone as a child or teenager.....I have read a number of books and seen other shows about her which explained that situation yet things went to fast for me, just my opinion.

I so would have liked to see her put her mother in her place yet that will come. I think she being as young as she was not really having a positive male influence in her life when younger became very infatuated with Lord M, she was in the stages of new feelings that were totally unknown to her so she relied on him for guidance and directions when first becoming queen. In all it was very enjoyable and entertaining and will watch it when it does a rerun.

I've always taken it that Victoria, young, inexperienced and rather naive, developed something of a schoolgirl crush on Lord Melbourne. He advised her and must have seemed very witty and sophisticated. London Society seems to have treated the crush as rather a joke.

I think Victoria always had weight issues, probably a gift from her Hanovarian forebears. She started out as a slender young Queen yet within a year she complained that she was putting on weight and would have to do lots of horse riding. I think she was active and energetic when young (lots of dancing, walking and horse riding) but turned to comfort food sometimes when stressed.

Back
Top Bottom