Queen Victoria (1819-1901)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She visited very few places compared to Queen Elizabeth - even in Europe. She expected that foreign monarchs would come to her.

The only countries Victoria ever visited were Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Switzerland, Germany and France, especially the Riviera when she was quite old.

Last edited:
Usually on pictures she is shown as old, but when she was young she was quite pretty as the #7 post shows.

She looks best on the coronation portrait:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/aa/Dronning_victoria.jpg which shows she had blue eyes.

She was at least as pretty as Marie Antoinette or Empress Elisabeth of Austria.

Unfortunately after death of her husband she became depressed and isolated herself from public life and wore black. After 1861 pictures show her quite sad. She must have had a very sad life for the next 40 years.

I think Beatrice of York looks quite like the young Queen Victoria, though Victoria's hair was more a golden brown and she had tiny teeth. She was a Hanoverian in that she fought weight gain even in her twenties. Probably a pretty complexion and a silvery voice were her main attractions.

Because we're stuck with portraits when Victoria was young and black and white photographs in her middle and old age it's hard to get a handle on her colouring, which makes a difference.

I think Beatrice of York looks quite like the young Queen Victoria, though Victoria's hair was more a golden brown and she had tiny teeth. She was a Hanoverian in that she fought weight gain even in her twenties. Probably a pretty complexion and a silvery voice were her main attractions.

Because we're stuck with portraits when Victoria was young and black and white photographs in her middle and old age it's hard to get a handle on her colouring, which makes a difference.
Paintings of Queen Victoria as a young woman show her to have had auburn hair with a definite reddish tint to it. Here's a painting of her at ten: https://www.google.com/search?q=queen+victoria+as+a+young+woman&tbm=isch&imgil=DJy0JhaDEfe-zM%253A%253BVbf54bN7aM124M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%25252Fnews%25252Farticle-1220740%25252FVictoria-beauty-queen-The-picture-gave-Albert.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=DJy0JhaDEfe-zM%253A%252CVbf54bN7aM124M%252C_&biw=1920&bih=920&usg=__5JJ-ZXiacjRh2SQMttm6z_FkyYE%3D&ved=0ahUKEwidpaLomLTKAhVQ32MKHTjrA6YQyjcILA&ei=LEqdVp3fCtC-jwO41o-wCg#imgrc=XCW_lcmbbEZHbM%3A&usg=__5JJ-ZXiacjRh2SQMttm6z_FkyYE%3D Her hair darkened as she got older but always had the reddish tint. Princess Beatrice does look a great deal like her.

Last edited:
Lady Mary Grosvennor was the extra lady of the bedchamber of the Princess of Wales, Alexandra, from 1896 to 1912. She married Thmas parker 6th Earl of Macclesfield 25 Aug 1842. They had a 3rd child The Reverend Hon Algernon Robert Parker whose 1st wife was Emma Jane Kenyon. Emma was daughter of Right Revered George Bereford ( who was son of George Kenyon (3rd son of de la Poer). I may have the missing link to who Queen Victoria's real father was as my great grandmother said her grandfather was the Right Reverend Parker and her mother Emma Jane Parker Lewis (2nd marriage to Thomas Lewis?) was cousin to Queen Victoria. Emma had a daughter named Olivia who married a De La Rupelle from France (maybe knew de la Poer?) Olivia's son died of Hemophilia! So I think that maybe somehow the Parkers had an affair with the Queen since Emma's husbands mother worked in the bedchamber of Princess Alexandra-note that Parkers and Beresfords participated in Hemophilia research.

Hi, Cynthia, welcome aboard! Are you trying to trace your ancestry to Queen Victoria through an affair, or perhaps finding a clue to who Queen Victoria's father was? I actually think that Queen Victoria's real father was Edward Duke of Kent whose wife Victoire was Victoria's mother. The couple spent most of their very early life in Germany to save on costs and Victoria was probably conceived there. As several of Edward's brothers were ladies men Victoria may have had a cousin born illegitimately, fathered by one of the Royal Dukes. I've taken a look at Alison Weir's 'Britain's Royal Families' and there doesn't appear to be an Emma Jane Parker listed among the progeny of George III's children in that book.

Curryong, I think Cynthia is suggesting that Victoria's father was someone other than the Duke of Kent, or that someone other than Prince Albert was the father of her children, since in this other family that had royal connections there was also hemophilia.

I don't think it should be removed, but it looks like it could use a good cleaning.

I go back and forth when it comes to Victoria. I agree that her "observance of the rituals of mourning" became "fetishistic," but at the same time there were multiple assassination attempts made against her and heck I would be reluctant to leave my house too.

Also even before they were mentioned in the last paragraph of the article above, I thought about Victoria's relationships with Disraeli and John Brown and that she did have men in her life, albeit platonically, post-Albert.

I think anyone who sees those innumerable photos of Victoria in deep mourning, with and without her family, gazing mournfully at busts of the departed Prince Albert, would agree that she wallowed in all the demonstrations of grief-stricken widowhood. (I'm not saying this was insincere.He was the love of her life, taken from her in her early forties.)

She wasn't alone in that, however, and in some Royal households it got taken further. When her daughter Vicky first went to Germany as a bride she wrote to her mother of the many 'death chambers' left just as they had been when their occupants were alive, in the castles and Schlosses of the Prussian royals. I believe one such chamber was placed between the young Princess's bedroom and sitting room. Must have been fun at night crossing from one room to the other by candlelight!

These days, she'd have been offered grief counselling and put on anti-depressants. Of course, Queen Victoria being Queen Victoria, she'd likely have refused to do so.:)

The Queen Victoria is one of my favorite Queens.
I like to read things about the Queen's life and its history.
Queen Elizabeth II is the leveling of Queen Victoria. Two large Queens.

Given that the Duchess and Victoria were estranged for most of her married life the real question is how much contact she even had with her British grandchildren?

Given that the Duchess and Victoria were estranged for most of her married life the real question is how much contact she even had with her British grandchildren?

The Wikipedia article on Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld expressed: When the Queen's first child, the Princess Royal, was born, the Duchess of Kent unexpectedly found herself welcomed back into Victoria's inner circle.
Is this then a FALSE statement?

Back
Top Bottom