Queen Victoria (1819-1901)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I like the statement: 'She poured her emotions out on to paper'.

Also Queen Victoria wrote hundreds of letters to her daughter Victoria, Crown Princess of Prussia and later Empress of Germany.

'I like to feel your birthday is so near mine, that you were born in the same house that I was and that you should bear my name,' Queen Victoria wrote to her granddaughter-in-law, Princess Victoria Mary, Duchess of York, in 1896.

Queen Victoria warned her daughter-in-law, Princess Alexandra against excessive display.
In May 1869 Victoria wrote to the Prince of Wales: 'I hope dear Alix will not spend much on dress in Paris. There is besides a very strong feeling against the luxuriousness, extravagance and frivolity of Society and everyone points to my simplicity.'

Last edited by a moderator:
The Reign of Queen Victoria by Hector Bolitho

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reign-Queen...963021&sr=8-2&keywords=queen+victoria+bolitho

I downloaded The Reign of Queen Victoria by Hector Bolitho for free on my Kindle this morning. Have only read half on the train so far, but it is quite short and a really compelling read. Bolitho is a widely-praised historian so I had high expectations for this royal memoir. This biography really comes into its own because it traces the childhood of Albert and Victoria side by side The book is formatted so that the chapters alternate – a really nice touch as we can trace their evolution as characters together. I am usually a fan of military or political bios, but this is more of a personal history. Bolitho sheds new light on the private life of this leader, from her life as a young girl to the great years of her reign. I would definitely recommend this book (especially if you are able to get it for free as well). I can’t wait to get started on the second half!

Does anybody know this royalty?
It looks like Queen Victoria?
queen-victoria.jpg

Or princess alice?

albumen-alice-of-the-united-kingdom.jpg

Last edited:
Marie, Queen of Roumania, was one of Queen Victoria's many grandchildren, the daughter of her second son Alfred. As an adult she wrote about visits to her grandmother in childhood.

'The hush around Grandmamma's door was awe-inspiring, it was like approaching the mystery of some sanctuary. Silent, soft-carpeted corridors led to Grandmamma's apartments...those that led the way...talked in hushed voices and trod softly...One door after another opened noiselessly, it was like passing through the forecourts of a temple, before approaching the final mystery to which only the initiated had access...'

'When finally the door was opened there sat Grandmamma, not idol-like at all, not a bit frightening, smiling a kind little smile, almost as shy as us children, so that conversation was not very fluent on either side. Inquiry as to our morals and general behaviour made up a great part of it...I have a sort of feeling that Grandmamma as well as ourselves was secretly relieved when the audience was over.'

Queen Victoria wrote numerous letters to her eldest daughter Victoria, Crown Princess Victoria of Prussia and Empress Frederick.
How much correspondence did Queen Victoria write to her half -sister Feodora?

Curryong, it is touching to know that Feodora was a caring sister and was kind to the Queen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The two half-sisters were devoted to each other and wrote regularly, so hundreds of letters, probably. They would often reminisce about the isolated years of their youth in Kensington Palace and Feodora wrote lots of helpful advice after Victoria started her family.

Because Feodora and her husband had little money Victoria and the Duchess of Kent often gave them 'loans', and Feodora was given a small allowance.

Last edited:
Yes, though it's strange to think too that one of Feodora's granddaughters was Dona, the wife of the last Kaiser of Germany, Wilhelm II. She was not pleasant to her mother in law, the Empress Friedrich, at all. That would have pained Feodora had she been alive to witness it, I'm sure.

Smith, Elder and Co.of London. The same publishers, I believe, that published Charlotte Bronte's novels. Sir Arthur Helps was the editor for the later editions.

Both Dom Pedro and Dom Luis were born in the late 1830's weren't they? If so, judging by the age of the boys, the photo must have been taken around 1850ish.

Victoria never visited Portugal but Albert was very fond of these cousins so they may have visited London at that time. It's hard to say whether it is Victoria or not, though I think not. Photographs were very formal things in those days and you'd think if it was Victoria she would have Albert in the picture too! Just my opinion, though.

Book written by Queen Victoria when she was 10 to be published | Daily Mail Online

A children's story written by Queen Victoria when she was just 10 years old is to be published for the first time.

The short story was penned by the future monarch and tells the story of a 12-year-old girl, Alice Laselles, who was sent away to boarding school after her mother died and her father remarried.

Princess Victoria's story was written in her 'Composition' notebook as part of her studies with her governess, Baroness Louise Lehzen, and kept in the Royal Archives at Windsor Castle.

Wow! That's actually a good outcome! Haha still wonder how queen Victoria would have reacted to such an outrage :D

I wonder whether the collector who bought them tried them on for size?

This was a truly well written article and, for me, really presented the impact of Prince Albert's death on Victoria. Although I knew the basics, I never realize just how close their relationship was and how important to the British monarchy Albert was.

Thanks much for posting this.

The Queen Victoria never visited Portugal?

Back
Top Bottom