Queen Victoria (1819-1901)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What was Victoria Relationship like with her Daughters-in-Laws? I have often wondered.

I seem to recall that QV saw Alexandra as a breath of fresh air, but given her negative feelings about Bertie, perhaps that's not too surprising and Alexandra seemed to be a devoted daughter in law. However, QV strongly believed in "My way or no way" so it didn't take long before she was grumbling about everything Alexandra did, from partying to motherhood. I strongly suspect that QV, because she loved male attention, held more affection for her sons in law than her daughters in law.

I think QV thought that she would change the prince, not join him.

Queen Victoria's mourning gown expected to sell for up to £3,000 at Derby auction | Royal | News | Daily Express
21 June 2013

Queen Victoria's mourning gown expected to sell for up to £3,000 at Derby auction

A black two-piece gown worn by Queen Victoria while she was mourning her husband Albert will go up for auction later this month.

The rare silk garment is expected to sell for between £2,000 and £3,000 when it goes under the hammer at Hansons Derbyshire Auction Centre in Etwall, Derby.

Victoria's dress, which consists of a bodice and skirt, dates to around 1890 and is typical of the mourning fashion the monarch wore following Prince Albert's death in 1861. The bodice and trained skirt, trimmed with black lace, chiffon, matt black sequins and mourning crepe, was given to the present owner's family by a lady in waiting at the beginning of the century.

It was on display at Kensington Palace until April this year as part of the Royal Ceremonial Dress Collection.

Attachments

• VRI Mourning Gown.jpg
    VRI Mourning Gown.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,482
Dumped Queen Victoria gets new life before Sri Lanka summit < Local News | Expatica United Kingdom

A statue of Queen Victoria which was banished from Sri Lanka's presidential palace amid fears it brought bad luck will now be spruced up for an upcoming Commonwealth summit. The 1897 statue of the former British monarch seated on a throne had been banished from the palace a few years ago and dumped in the backyard of Colombo's museum.

Museum superintendent Ranjith Hewage said the museum now planned to shift the statue to a better location so that it faced the main road as well as a public park, which was until recently named after her. "We will turn the statue from its present location to face the road."

v the statue

Attachments

• VRI.jpg
    VRI.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 463
Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Victoria's wedding

I remember reading somewhere that Queen Victoria didn't want to marry under the flag of slavery. Did some of you read about this? Also I don't know if this was told by one of her nannies that stayed close to her. This nanny traveled all around the world with Queen Victoria or at least with a family that was very close to Queen Victoria. I tried to find more information about this matter, but I didn't find anything. I don't have much knowledge about the aristocracy during the time of Queen Victoria. But to my understanding only girls from good families became nannies or governesses to the children of the aristocratic families or the royalty.

What would be the flag of slavery?
Victoria did not travel all around the world, she pretty much limited her travel outside of Britain to France, Belgium and Germany.
As far as I know her only nanny/governess was Baroness Lehzen, who was sent back to Germany after Victoria married Albert, and lived there in retirement until her death.

The flag of England at that time. England was involved in the slave trade. Maybe the nanny I was referring to, worked for a family that was close to Queen Victoria.

England did not exist as an independent state at the time of Victoria's reign, it hadn't for a while at that point. By the time of the start of Victoria's reign it had been illegal to trade slaves in all but 3 territories controlled by the British Empire for 4 years. While not all slaves had been automatically freed in 1833, a process to free them had been established and was expected to be completed by 1840. I believe, although I could be wrong, that slavery had already been abolished within Britain and it was just the colonies that were holding out.

I could see that if slavery still existed in the British Empire, Queen Victoria may have been dismayed by this fact but I doubt that it would have made her hesitate to get married. She was madly in love with Albert and that would have been uppermost in her mind.

From my collection,pic made by me.

Print of Queen Victoria during the time of her Diamond Jubilee.It used to adorn the walls of the British Consulate General here in Amsterdam untill someone " stored " it at the attack...and all forgot about it for decades...The roof leaked,and dear Victoria suffered from it but it was her rescue too as they came to repair the roof and found her there...The frame was so badly damaged it had to be replaced,but the glass is original.She was then taken to an antique shop where we met and fell in love....She adorns my hall now after she only for a very short while adorned a wall in my bedroom...Not a good idea...She seemed to be peaking all the time...Really...the influence she can still yield...

1003217_640410715984094_1760770408_n.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, it looks like her,is it really her? That is one great picture that I have never seen before.

That is a Great Photo! Probably the best I have seen of Queen Victoria. When I ever Ii see Videos or photos of her it almost Brings her back to life in a life. She is the first British monarch to be Photograph or be Filmed and seen on video which is pretty cool.

Before her all the monarchs were portraits or paintings.

I came across this Colorize Photo of Queen Victoria with her Grandkids including Prince Albert Victor 'Eddy'

This is the first tine I have ever seen a colorize photo of Queen Victoria.

Attachments

• image-2036327101.jpg
    image-2036327101.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
I came across this Colorize Photo of Queen Victoria with her Grandkids including Prince Albert Victor 'Eddy'

This is the first tine I have ever seen a colorize photo of Queen Victoria.
Neat find. Thanks. Queen Victoria didn't look very happy in this one, did she?

Well, Queen Victoria never looked very happy. :whistling:

Hahahaha!!! :ROFLMAO: I just finished reading a book about Queen Victoria's life, and she seemed to have smiled much while her consort Albert was alive and then ceased when he died. Very sad. What was interesting that I learned was that she become somewhat of a "mother figure" to her deceased daughter Alice's children, which I found very touching. She really took them to heart emotionally following Alice's death at such a young age. Gave me a new insight into a most complicated monarch.

Queen Victoria Smiling.

One thing we have to remember is it took a long time to take photos back then

Attachments

• image-1563230848.jpg
    image-1563230848.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 415
  • image-2211432071.jpg
    image-2211432071.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 445
  • image-1919654811.jpg
    image-1919654811.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 979
  • image-3277099134.jpg
    image-3277099134.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 9,113
When Queen Victoria's daughter-in-law, the Princess of Wales, became the mother of a first son. did Victoria definitely declare that the boy's name had to be Albert Victor?

Queen Victoria was the first reigning monarch to use trains. In 1842 she made her first train journey.
For her June 22, 1897 Diamond Jubilee, Queen Victoria wrote in her diary:
"A never to be forgotten day.
No one ever, I believe, has ever met with such an ovation as was given me...
The crowds were quite indescribable..."

Prince Albert wrote.
"Dearest deeply loved Victoria"
Truly Albert loved Victoria.
Society garden breakfasts were initiated by Queen Victoria in 1868.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: According to Wikipedia, he was named Albert Victor because it was amongst Queen Victoria's wishes. (Although he was nicknamed "Eddy".) :flowers:

A love letter highlighting the heartfelt passion between Queen Victoria and Prince Albert is to go on display for the first time.
In the document, written shortly before their marriage, the prince describes how the 20-year-old queen had stirred passions which burned so brightly they filled his “whole soul”.
The letter, which will be seen at an exhibition in Windsor Castle in the new year, is one of a series of love letters Albert wrote during their engagement, which are filled with poetic expressions of desire for his “deeply loved” fiancée.

Dearest deeply loved Victoria ... your image fills my whole soul - Telegraph

I was just looking at this delightful find and how remarkable Prince Albert's handwriting looks from the article!

Back
Top Bottom