Queen Victoria (1819-1901)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am very much aware of the history, thank you. I am just comparing Victoria and her Hanovrian ancestors with each other and the similarities they all had with the treatment of their heir. All of the Hanoverian's distaste of their sons was rooted in something their children were doing that they did not approve of, seems whatever drove her predecessors also drove Victoria as well.

My dear XeniaCasaraghi,

My apologies, it seems I have offended you.:flowers: I must have misunderstood your question. I think the Georges (I, II and III) disliked their elder sons in a way which may be unexplainable. I don't think Victoria disliked Bertie just because he was her heir. It was when he failed to meet her and Albert's expectations that she became critical. It caused her to worry about what would happen to England when he was monarch.

I apologize if my post came off as me being offended. I possibly shouldn't have worded it the way I did. I admit I know more about Victoria than the George's 1-3 and don't know the specifics of why they hated their sons. I agree that Victoria had her reasons for disliking Bertie but perhaps so did the George's; I recall hearing that a few of them had similar lifestyles as Bertie with the women and drinking scandals.
And although Victoria essentially thought he was a slug and blamed him for Albert's death, I don't recall ever getting the impression that she outright hated him.

I apologize if my post came off as me being offended. I possibly shouldn't have worded it the way I did. I admit I know more about Victoria than the George's 1-3 and don't know the specifics of why they hated their sons. I agree that Victoria had her reasons for disliking Bertie but perhaps so did the George's; I recall hearing that a few of them had similar lifestyles as Bertie with the women and drinking scandals.
And although Victoria essentially thought he was a slug and blamed him for Albert's death, I don't recall ever getting the impression that she outright hated him.
My dear XeniaCasaraghi,

You are correct--Victoria never hated Bertie. As for the Georges, I know that George III was upset with all of his sons because they were promiscuous and spendthrifts, whereas he enjoyed farming and the domestic life. George was very faithful to his wife and perhaps this made him angry at his sons. The poor daughters suffered their own fate.

Dear VM and XC, I sincerely hope that Victoria did not HATE Bertie, but whatever she may have to say on the subject, it would only be Bertie who could give us a true answer because he, alone, knew what it felt like to be her son. History reveals that he was a constant irritation to V during childhood because of his inability to emulate "Darling Papa," his lack of intelligence when measured against Vicky and his general slothfulness. I can.t recall ever reading anything Victoria said of his that I could consider loving or encouraging. I acknowledge that she rushed to his side when he was ill, but how much guilt was there about her previous treatment of, only she could tell us. Her letters tell of how vociferously she complained about him to all and sundry. It would have been all to easy for a lifetime of dislike to turn to hate after he became "responsible " for Albert's death.

There are also reports of how she loved him - but feared that he wasn't up to the job of being King. In other words she loved him as her son but as her heir she had her doubts.

Many parents are critical of their children but that does not mean they don't love them at the same time. Victoria pinned many hopes on Bertie and I am afraid he disappointed her, which she conveyed through her letters. But I don't think there is any evidence that she hated him or thoroughly disliked him. Vicky on the other hand had an active dislike of her son, Kaiser Wilhelm.

As I was rewatching "The Young Victoria" for the billionth time, my husband and I freeze-framed Albert's arrival to England for the second time, at Victoria's invitation and which resulted in their engagement.

Albert is shown as coming into Victoria's presence accompanied by two dogs. They seem to be a kind of wolfhound. For those here who are conversant with such matters, may I ask:

1. Would it have been acceptable for Albert to bring two such animals into B.P?
2. Would it have been acceptable only if they were gifts for HM?
3. Is this historically accurate? and/or
4. What kinds of doggies were they?

Thanks!

Yes VM, I agree with you. For me, her loss is summed up by her words "There is nobody left to call me Victoria." The thought of her having to spend all those years in Imperial isolation is heartbreaking.

Poor woman. Albert's death was truly a blow to her and one from which she never fully recovered. Today, many grieving spouses are given medication to treat their depression. It is clear to me that the Queen was greatly depressed for many years after Albert's death.

I agree that Queen Victoria suffered severe depression for some time after her husband's death but I do not agree that she `never fully recovered` from his loss. She always mourned Prince Albert but as time went on she actually recovered very well from her grief and there is much information to attest to this. Her older years were among her happiest.

... Albert's arrival to England for the second time, at Victoria's invitation and which resulted in their engagement. Albert is shown as coming into Victoria's presence accompanied by two dogs. They seem to be a kind of wolfhound.!
In 'Victoria RI' Elizabeth Longford mentions Prince Albert's dog a couple of times...
On the second visit (which resulted in the engagement) she writes that the morning after Albert and Ernst arrived "...she could hear the brothers playing a Haydn symphony in the room beneath. Albert's charming greyhound, Eos, walked round the luncheon table, giving her paw and eating off a fork."

The day before Prince Albert's arrival from Coburg [for the wedding], "the greyhound Eos arrived with Prince Albert's valet."

Last edited:
Yes VM, I agree with you. For me, her loss is summed up by her words "There is nobody left to call me Victoria." The thought of her having to spend all those years in Imperial isolation is heartbreaking.

That comment wasn't made in relation to Albert's death however.

She still had Uncle Leopold for another 3 or so years. She still had her cousin George V of Hanover until 1878, her cousin George of Cambridge actually outlived her, as did her cousins Augusta of Cambridge and Mary Adelaide of Teck also lived until 1897.

If she had no one to call her Victoria it was her own fault because she stopped her cousins from calling her by her first name - something for instance which the present Queen hasn't done - they still do, in private - because that is what families do.

This imperious side of her personality was revealed very early. As a child, she is quoted as explaining to another child that "I may call you Jane but you must not call me Victoria." It seems that her mother had already instilled in her, her lofty status.

This imperious side of her personality was revealed very early. As a child, she is quoted as explaining to another child that "I may call you Jane but you must not call me Victoria." It seems that her mother had already instilled in her, her lofty status.

She said that as a child? I thought she said that as Queen.It sounds arrogant but that seems to be how she was raised.

There is a difference between saying that to the child of a servant - it was said to Sir John Conroy's child - that expecting her own first cousins or her uncles and aunts to call her something other than her name. They were family afterall and surely in private should have been able to use her Christian name to them.

Identification Help

Hi all, new member and I require some help. I dunno if this is the correct place to post this, but I came across this on EBay the other day and have no idea what it is, anyone able to shed some light?

unknown.jpg

Actually it is the Golden Jubilee medal of Queen Victoria who ascended the throne in 1837 not 1838. Her Coronation was in 1838.

The dates are - birth 1819, crowned 1838, marriage 1840, and jubilee 1887. She chose the dates to go on it and decided on her coronation date rather than accession date.

Traditionally corornations take place at least a year after accession - to allow for the proper time of mourning e.g Victoria accession 1837, coronation 1838, Edward VII accession 1901, coronation 1902, George V accession 1910, coronation 1911, George VI, accession 1936, coronation 1937 (his coronation was on the date set for Edward VIII who acceded in January 1936 of course), and Elizabeth II, accession 1952 and coronation 1953.

The Jubilee medals will be awarded this year as well - so William will wear two medals and Harry three after the Jubilee, Edward will also go to three as well I think as I am sure he has the three Jubilee medals. The other men will also add one more to their current medals earned in the services and awarded for events of this kind.

Last edited:
This is what I thought it was originally, however I couldn't find proof anywhere, don't suppose anyone else could, I can only find proof of her Police issue jubilee medal.
Anyone able to help?
Sorry to post again but I am now in possession of the medal and am still none the wiser as to what it is, as stated I believe it was a medal for her Golden Jubilee but is there anyone out there who can give me a definite answer with proof if possible?

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p348/MageDan123/unknown.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My dear Currie,

I am confused. Are you looking for written confirmation about Queen Victoria's Jubilee medal? Such as in some publication? I thought Iluvbertie cleared up your questions. If you are looking for some definitive proof, why not start with the royal family's website or some institution devoted to them. I am sure there must be list and description somewhere of all medals issued by the monarchs of England.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah sorry wasn't too clear, I am happy with written proof from other members as it confirms what I believed. I was seeing if anyone knew of other proof that is more official as to make sure everyone was correct

Thanks for the article, Al bina. What a good artist Victoria was, and some of her sketches are so detailed and endearing. You can tell this talent runs in the family. It seems more revelations are being made about the royal family of the past and present.

Last edited:
I've just re-watched "Victoria and Albert" A&E miniseries for the second time. I love it! Queen Victoria and Prince Albert's love was just beautiful. Does anyone have any recommendations for good, honest biographies about the queen? Is there a book collection of her letters that can be read?

I am in the middle of their duel bio "We Two".So far it's a good read,and it reveals a lot of them and their personalities.

Oh, I'll have to look that one up. That sounds like it might be good.

Okay. I looked up "We Two" on Amazon and decided against it. Some of the reviewers were speaking of historical errors. A book that seemed to stand out to me is "Queen Victoria: Born to Succeed" (1965) by Elizabeth Longford. A local library has it so I decided to try it. It has been said that this version is excellent.

She was advised in 1857 to have no more children for health reasons so I don't think that 7+ years later - in her mid-40s she would have risked it.

Back
Top Bottom