The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you Wbenson for posting this link. Fascinating stuff! It shows that the Royal Family was beset with jealousy and resentment of others which happens in the most common of families. Under the skin we are all alike.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Commoner

Just how much influence did Albert have over Victoria do you think? He certainly gave her a lot of good advice, and did most of the work towards the time of his death. However, after his death, Victoria seemed to carry on governing quite well on her own. I know she had many truly great advisors and she was very trusting of her favorite Prime Ministers, but I believe that she really learned how to govern on her own as well. What does everyone else think?

Old 03-30-2010, 05:43 AM
Serene Highness

I think Albert had great influence over Victoria and he was an able diplomat, but she was a good monarch as well. Her prime ministers ran the government but Victoria advised them and was able to discuss and analyze what was happening at home and around the world.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:33 AM

queen victoria was a great woman as she was the longest reigning british monarch and the figurehead of a vast empire.she was the 1st english monarch to see her name given to her reign whilst still living.
i had the honor to study a bit her era,which was called the golden era in literature and every other domains.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaoshan1021 View Post

Marriage to Prince Albert

In 1840, Victoria married her first cousin, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. Albert, with whom she was very much in love, became the dominant influence in her life. Her first child, Victoria, later empress of Germany, was born in 1840, and the prince of Wales, later Edward VII, in 1841. Victoria had nine children. Their marriages and those of her grandchildren allied the British royal house with those of Russia, Germany, Greece, Denmark, Romania, and several of the German states.
So most of the Europian monarchies are relatives?
Old 05-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Yes, the royals of Europe are a caste and in the past preferred to marry within the caste, albeit with a fairly clear division between Catholic and Protestant families.
Further information can be found in the Royal Genealogy forum, specifically Family ties through Queen Victoria and Royal Cousins.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by callista View Post
So most of the Europian monarchies are relatives?
Yes. In the early twentieth century, the Tsarina of Russia, the Kaiser of
Germany, the monarchs of Greece, Denmark, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Belgium, Sweden, Romania, Hungary, Yugoslavia and, of course, Great Britain were all relatives.
If you look at the British royal family and take away the scandals and the goofy stuff that's going on, people love to have this king to look up to - the royals are like celebrities. ~ Kevin J. Anderson
Old 05-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogm View Post
All accounts I have heard of say she took the role of wife and did treat her husband as the head of the family.

They probably were a great match even if their marriage was laid as the groundwork for the Coburg's control of most European monarchies in the early 20th century. Certain facts from family documents reveal that Queen Victoria and Albert's uncle Leopold and Albert's mother worked behind the scenes to promote Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family.
If you look at the British royal family and take away the scandals and the goofy stuff that's going on, people love to have this king to look up to - the royals are like celebrities. ~ Kevin J. Anderson
Old 05-21-2010, 11:06 PM

It's an amazing feat when you look at it now. I bet they never expected that their plot can result to a family having an influence over most monarchies in the future, which is our present time. I'm more inclined to believe that Albert is an illegitimate son because I don't really approve of relatives marrying relatives.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Commoner

They marry their relatives to keep their bloodline pure. The Church in those days cannot prevent inbreeding because it also wasn't sure what was unacceptable. Of course, the royals almost always do what they want, and they usually get what they want.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:08 PM

Keeping their bloodline pure restricts the royals' gene pool. That could be the reason for some of their genetic abnormalities. I think the marriage of Prince Charles and Diana have widened the gene pool. A sensible marriage yet unwise because they don't have common interests. Has there been this kiind of marriage before in the royal bloodline? to widen their gene pool? Was there a Princess Diana of those times? I wonder.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieLouise View Post
Both Elizabeth II and Prince Philip are great-great grand children of Queen Victoria.
1. Victoria
2. Edward VII
3. George V
4. George VI
5. Elizabeth II
and
1. Victoria
2. her daughter Alice who married Grand Duke Louis of Hesse
3. their daughter Victoria who married Louis of Battenberg
4. their daughter Alice, Princess of Greece
5. Prince Philip

An intermarriage. So, the marriage of Prince Charles to Diana was a good decision to widen their gene pool.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Commoner

According to Richard Sotnick in his book "The Coburg Conspiracy", Lord Mountbatten said,‘You have to remember that, in my youth, European affairs were family business.’

That is because "in the early twentieth century, the Tsarina of Russia, the Kaiser of Germany, the monarchs of Greece, Denmark, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Belgium, Sweden, Romania, Hungary, Yugoslavia and, of course, Great Britain were all his relations."
Old 05-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

well, many of these monarchies were constitutional monarchies, and even the German emperor didn't have that much to say about the government of the country. But in a way he was right of course.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

The queen who defined our city

As Ottawans prepare to enjoy Victoria Day at cottages, backyards, and balconies, does anyone stop to contemplate its namesake and her enduring presence in the city whose destiny she sealed?

Queen Victoria -- in recent times often referred to as the "Mother of Confederation" -- ultimately chose Ottawa as Canada's capital, a distinction that continues, for better or for worse, to define the city.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Royal Highness

I have a question I posted before- if Queen Elizabeth II couldn't call her children Prince and Princess until her father changed it- why were Queen Victoria's children known as Prince and Princesses? Thought they had to take titles from father-?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
I have a question I posted before- if Queen Elizabeth II couldn't call her children Prince and Princess until her father changed it- why were Queen Victoria's children known as Prince and Princesses? Thought they had to take titles from father-?
I will hazard a guess. King George VI's grandchildren would not be male line grandchildren because he had two daughters and only male line grandchildren of the monarch could be styled Princes and Princesses.

When Queen Victoria had children, she was already a Queen Regnant and of course her children would be princes and princesses automatically by virtue of being children of the sovereign. But Charles and Anne were born while Elizabeth II was the heiress presumptive and not yet a monarch, so the rule had to be changed for their benefit. Prince Andrew and Prince Edward were born when Elizabeth was Queen, so they were automatically styled Princes of the United Kingdom. I hope I am correct.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos

I will hazard a guess. King George VI's grandchildren would not be male line grandchildren because he had two daughters and only male line grandchildren of the monarch could be styled Princes and Princesses.

When Queen Victoria had children, she was already a Queen Regnant and of course her children would be princes and princesses automatically by virtue of being children of the sovereign. But Charles and Anne were born while Elizabeth II was the heiress presumptive and not yet a monarch, so the rule had to be changed for their benefit. Prince Andrew and Prince Edward were born when Elizabeth was Queen, so they were automatically styled Princes of the United Kingdom. I hope I am correct.
Thank you- sounds plausible to me :)
Old 01-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The reason why Elizabeth couldn't be made Princess of Wales in her own right was that she was only ever heiress presumptive as any younger son would have replaced her in the line of succession (and even if said son was born up to 9 months after her accession that son would have replaced her).
That's not right. Unborn children have no right of inheritance till they are actually born. Thus Elizabeth would have been queen even if her mother had been pregnant with a son on the king's death. Because the moment the king (or the queen) regnant dies, the next souverain inherits. Unborn children cannot inherit. Which would have left Elizabeth to be queen.

This scenario was discussed in detail before Victoria became queen in the 1800s. She was the heiress presumptive of her uncle William, but William's queen Marie Adelaide was still in her child-bearing years, so the scenario king dead, queen pregnant (it wouldn't have mattered which sex the unborn child had as his/her position would be more senior than Victoria's) and Victoria as heiress was discussed by the politicians, lawyers and courtiers.

The position was clear: as long as the child was not born, he/she had no right of inheritance according to UK laws. And the idea of an interregnum (a vacant throne waiting for the child to be born) does not exist in UK law as well. Thus Victoria would have become queen and it would have been in her discretion to abdicate in favour of her uncle's child or to keep the throne. Of course, queen Marie Adelaide was not pregnant when her husband died, so Victoria was indeed the heiress but the scenario was discussed and decided.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:48 AM
Gentry

I love learning something new everyday! Makes for a fascinating read. Thank you for sharing that! That was great stuf.

That's why I love Royal families. There's so much history attached to it.

Tags
biography, british history, debt, england, hanover, pictures, queen regnant, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha, victoria