The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PssMarie-Elisabeth View Post
A few images of her illustrious majesty :)
The image to the left looks like it was made just after she was widowed, so it would be from the 1860s.

I have a b&w version of the third hanging on my wall, it dates from shortly after her accession in the late 1830s.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogm View Post
The image to the left looks like it was made just after she was widowed, so it would be from the 1860s.

I have a b&w version of the third hanging on my wall, it dates from shortly after her accession in the late 1830s.
... it's one of my favorite paintings of her as a young Queen. She appears to be smiling in the 1st pic * just teasing * Queen Victoria was not as one-dimensional as some people think
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cdv-QV.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	262918   Click image for larger version

Name:	1847  QV.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	262919   Click image for larger version

Name:	QV-Windsor.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	262920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn Victoira 1856.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	262921  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1887.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	262922  

Old 06-24-2008, 02:26 PM

Really interesting, I really like this Queen!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Does anyone have a good picture of Queen victoria by Heinrich von Angeli any of them i doing a paintig and all the outher sources are too fuzzy
Old 07-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

They are knickers fit for a queen or - given their size - maybe two.
Able to accommodate a 50in -plus waist, they belonged to Queen Victoria.
Doubtless she would not be amused to have her undergarments - or her vital statistics - discussed in public

Blooming enormous: Queen Victoria's 50-inch waist knickers are uncovered | Mail Online
Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Well the knickers sold for more than expected:

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Derbyshire | Queen's bloomers sell for Ł4,500

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 08-01-2008, 12:14 AM

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if anyone could tell me why Victoria always wore a white veil after she was older? It seems to be in every picture.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:58 AM
Aristocracy

She mourned for her husband Albert who died 14 December 1861.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Aristocracy

I have been reading lately on Queen Victoria and his "almost king" husband Prince Albert and now I look forward eagerlier for the new movie with Emily Blunt as the young queen. When she was crowned she was 18 years old and one month, and she became queen of the nation and the balls, that she enjoyed as the youngster she was, enjoying too a freedom she has never had before, because her mother was so afraid of some accidental or not problem.

It seems she was never aware of the hemophilia problem, because she married a first cousin and it was such a good marriage, that she tried to marry several grand-children among themselves.

They tried very hard, with their eldest daughter Vicky, Empress of Germany, to influence with liberal ideas the german empire, without success. Her husband died when they were both 42 years old, which did not help for reaching the goal, because he was more interested and had more knowledge on politics.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan_berry View Post
When she was crowned she was 18 years old and one month...
19 years and one month: born 24 May 1819 and her coronation was 23 June 1838.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan_berry View Post
They tried very hard, with their eldest daughter Vicky, Empress of Germany, to influence with liberal ideas the german empire, without success. Her husband died when they were both 42 years old, which did not help for reaching the goal, because he was more interested and had more knowledge on politics.
It would have been better to start being liberal at home, in England. Just think of these famous lines written by the Queen to prime minister Gladston May 6, 1870: (summary in my own words)

She believes it is unnatural and against all sense to give women the right to vote or to make them equal in professions!

Now, how liberal was this Queen? Only when it came to the point of intervening abroad it seems to me.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Aristocracy

The author I have been reading, Stanley Weintraub, means liberal in politics for the time being. England already had elections, and the Queen and her husband did not intervene in politics openly, although they did. In Germany the kaiser was still the real power, still absolute power, and their grandchild Wilhelm II got rid of the legendary Prince Bismarck, prime minister for a long time for his grandfather Wilhelm I, whenever he decided it. So the empire was politically ultraconservative when the subjects were not anymore, it lacked flexibility in relation to the zeitgeist, which Queen Victoria, her husband, and their daughter Vicky and her husband, the heir, could foresee, and the result of this contradiction was that the empire fell down. I interpreted that from what I read.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Courtier

Tan_berry, you certainly have a point there. Just two notes from my side: first of all Germany - or Prussia as I should because The German Reich only came to life in 1871 - had a parliament. It was this parliament which had a dispute with Wilhelm I in 1862 in matters of army reform. Wilhelm I was willing to abdicate in favor of his son Friedrich. However, Friedrich declined. Thus, came Otto von Bismarck who saved the monarchy. Only due to Bismarck's constitutional reform the position of the monarch was strengthened. Christopher Clark has shown this in his book on Prussia.

What I blame to Vicky is her narrow-minded English view. Of course she was right with her idea of a constitutional monarchy according to the English model. But she was so focused on this one idea. On the other handside she refused the Bismarck social reforms end of the 1860ies. Those were the basis even for today's social system!! But Vicky preferred a traditional benevolence - or should I say charity? - towards the poor. Truth is, she was indoctrinated at 15 years by personal studies with her father - the Prince Consort - and took his view without questioning. Due to the early death of Albert she henceforward devoted her life to realising his ideas. Without reviewing them, without revising them. A waste of human material - a tragedy, for she could given her life far more purpose plus it would have facilitated her life in Prussia/Germany.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks, Avicenna, now I understand better.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Courtier

Queen Victoria's cottage - Loch Katrine

Courtesy of the BBC

BBC NEWS | Scotland | Tayside and Central | Royal 'rain shelter' to be sold

"Royal 'rain shelter' to be sold."
Old 10-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Nobility

I am just getting to read all the way through this thread - so my comment may not be in the correct place...
its in reference to the pictures of Queen Victoria up near the front...
doesn't she look alot like Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck and her sister, Princess Augusta, Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. They were, of course, first cousins, but I had never noticed such a striking family resemblance.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Gentry

General James Longstreet who became second in command to Lee when Stonewall Jackson died, said the England would never support the Confederacy as long as it had slavery. In fact he's known for saying that the South should have freed the slaves and THEN fired on Fort Sumter. According to "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara, England was never really that close to supporting the Confederacy. They were too sure that even with their intervention that the Union would win the war and they would lose world power.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Nobility

But how long could Britain's textile industry have held out without Southern cotton? The Industrial Age was underway...... even with cotton the Union stole and exported to GB or the cotton from the Blockade Runners, I am sure they were worried.
Especially the highly prized (long staple) Sea Island Cotton, from the islands off the coast of South Carolina and Georgia..... even the French were in a squeeze.
Queen Victoria's moral code may have been against the South and slavery, but as is most things... her "purse" would eventually speak otherwise.
Being a South Carolinian, like General Longstreet, I have to agree with his synopsis. If the South had ever wanted to gain the support of the world community, the slaves should have been freed first - regardless. It would have made the reason for seccession valid - States Rights - rather than the reason that has been given all these years - slavery.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaLandgrave View Post
If the South had ever wanted to gain the support of the world community, the slaves should have been freed first - regardless. It would have made the reason for seccession valid - States Rights - rather than the reason that has been given all these years - slavery.
But there would have been no point in the South seceding if they freed the slaves first. The Southern economy relied on slavery and the CSA couldn't survive without it.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Nobility

True - in part. We were an agrarian society, but the South could have easily adapted its practices to use freed labor and still make a profit.
They did it after the War - and would have faired well doing so, had not the Reconstruction government been so corrupt and intent on feasting on the defeated Southern populace.

Tags
biography, british history, debt, england, hanover, pictures, queen regnant, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha, victoria