Queen Victoria (1819-1901)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Duke also had a French Roman Catholic mistress,Madame de Saint-Laurent,Baroness de Fortisson when he was stationed in Quebec.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madame_de_Saint-Laurent

They famously had no children, though. She came back to Europe with him, they parted sadly, and they probably would have stayed together if not for the death of his niece Charlotte... Although Charlotte's husband Leopold, who was a friend (although I guess not to Madame), had suggested that Edward marry his widowed sister Victoire, the Princess of Leiningen, even prior to that.

Happy Victoria Day to my fellow Canadians and the few people in Scotland who celebrate with us (assuming they don't do it on the 24th).

Thank you for having such a conveniently situated birthday that it's our oldest holiday, Ma'am.

In Victoria A Life A. N. Wilson wrote:
The Queen's loathing of hot rooms, and her indifference to the cold, became unrestrained during her years of widowhood, and those who visited Balmoral in particular, were in danger of feeling cold.

In Victoria A Life A. N. Wilson wrote:
The Queen's loathing of hot rooms, and her indifference to the cold, became unrestrained during her years of widowhood, and those who visited Balmoral in particular, were in danger of feeling cold.

I think that must be one part "almost no one was as well-insulated as she was" and another part "Albert was frequently, miserably cold" to go along with Victoria's prolonged shock/spite/grief.

Perhaps after he died she simply was not prepared to allow or care about anyone else complaining.

Last edited:
Queen Victoria and her ladies in the Royal Box at St George's chapel Windsor during The Marriage of the Prince of Wales and Princess Alexandra of Denmark in 1863.
Queen_Victoria_in_the_Royal_Closet%2C_detail_from_William_Powell_Frith_-_The_Marriage_of_the_Prince_of_Wales%2C_10_March_1863_%28cropped%29.JPG

The full painting
640px-thumbnail.jpg

Back
Top Bottom