The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-15-2018, 04:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Does anyone know anything about the book, The Last Kaiser : The Life of Wilhelm II
by Giles MacDonogh? Its get good reviews on Thriftbooks.com. I am asking here because he was the son-in-law of Queen Victoria and this board is more active than other royal family boards.
http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-312-27673-7 has information.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Victoria's skates. Made in 1840.
https://twitter.com/JohnWilsonBlade/...29291933708288

Old 07-09-2018, 01:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
Queen Victoria's skates. Made in 1840.
https://twitter.com/JohnWilsonBlade/...29291933708288
Wow, those are gorgeous, not sure how easy it is to skate on them though (but they probably skated very different then compared to now... )
Old 07-23-2018, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Seeing as were in Holiday Season.

How Queen Victoria transformed the Swiss tourism industry

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/mournin...ustry/44250336

8th of October 1515 ; Birth of The Lady Margaret Douglas, Countess of Lennox
Old 08-01-2018, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Excerpts from correspondence to and from the (still) young Queen Victoria, as well as a few letters from some other noted personalities of the early Victorian age to each other. Very informative reading !

1844-1853: The Project Gutenberg eBook of 'Queen Victoria's Letters, Volume II'

1837-1843 : The Project Gutenberg eBook of 'Queen Victoria's Letters, Volume I'
Old 08-13-2018, 09:31 PM
Heir Apparent

In March 1887 Queen Victoria went to lay the first stone of the Medical Hall in London University.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Victoria's last drive from Osbourne House
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-190...167039780.html
Old 11-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

When Colonel Secrertary Joseph Chamberlain suggested restricting the Diamond Jubilee's foreign guest list to the heads and representatives of the countries of the British Empire, Queen Victoria agreed to the ideas.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:46 PM
Courtier

I just found this 9 volume set of letters of Queen Victoria. Oh my goodness!!! I would love to have them, but I cannot pay $500. I looked for each book from the set and they are more than I like to pay for books. Does anyone know if each book can be found for less than $10? I am sure I am dreaming that I could get one of them that cheaply.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I did a quick search over at abebooks.com and there are multiple books referring to the letters of Queen Victoria and they're really relatively cheap. Check this link out and see if the ones you're looking for are listed.

Good luck!

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...oria&kn=&isbn=

Or more specifically

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-19-2019, 06:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about the book, The Last Kaiser : The Life of Wilhelm II
by Giles MacDonogh? Its get good reviews on Thriftbooks.com. I am asking here because he was the son-in-law of Queen Victoria and this board is more active than other royal family boards.
Wilhelm II was Queen Victoria’s grandson. His father was the Queen’s son-in-law.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I did a quick search over at abebooks.com and there are multiple books referring to the letters of Queen Victoria and they're really relatively cheap. Check this link out and see if the ones you're looking for are listed.

Good luck!

Or more specifically

Thank you.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:58 PM
Courtier

I have another family relation question. The book that I am reading "Letters to Vicky" seems to indicate that Princess Alice's husband and Princess Beatrice's husband were related. Is that true, or am I misreading something?
Old 05-09-2019, 06:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I have another family relation question. The book that I am reading "Letters to Vicky" seems to indicate that Princess Alice's husband and Princess Beatrice's husband were related. Is that true, or am I misreading something?
Yes, they were first cousins. Alice's husband Grand Duke Louis of Hesse was the son of Prince Charles the older brother of Prince Alexander of Hesse, Henry of Battenberg's father. Henry's mother Julia von Hauke was a countess (not Royal) so her marriage to Alexander was morganatic which is why Henry was a Battenberg not a Hesse.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:14 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
BTW, Princess Alice’s daughter Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine (Queen Victoria’s granddaughter) married Prince Louis of Battenberg the year before Princess Beatrice married his brother Prince Henry of Battenberg.
It’s this Louis/Victoria Battenberg line that Prince Phillip descends from.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:16 AM
Majesty

Princess Alice's husband Ludwig Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine, and the Battenberg brothers (Louis (Victoria of Hesse's husband, Henry, Beatrice's husband, and Alexander, who Prss Victoria of Prussia fell in love with but couldn't marry) were first cousins. The brothers' father married morganatically to a beautiful Hungarian Countess, and so they had a different lineage.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Princess Alice's husband Ludwig Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine, and the Battenberg brothers (Louis (Victoria of Hesse's husband, Henry, Beatrice's husband, and Alexander, who Margaret of Prussia fell in love with but couldn't marry) were first cousins. The brothers' father married morganatically to a beautiful Hungarian Countess, and so they had a different lineage.
Polish not Hungarian. Queen Mary's grandfather married the beautiful Hungarian countess.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Majesty

Yes, thanks Gawin. A bit of misremembering there! Her grandmother was the one Queen Mary referred to when she said of her ancestry 'Some of us come from Transylvania!'

Julie (the Battenberg brothers mother) was reputedly beautiful, though, and of mixed heritage. (Perhaps her children got their good looks from her.) Her father was a Polish general of German descent. Her mother Sophie (Lafontaine) a mixed bag with French, Italian, German and Hungarian ancestry.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Yes, they were first cousins. Alice's husband Grand Duke Louis of Hesse was the son of Prince Charles the older brother of Prince Alexander of Hesse, Henry of Battenberg's father. Henry's mother Julia von Hauke was a countess (not Royal) so her marriage to Alexander was morganatic which is why Henry was a Battenberg not a Hesse.
Thank you. That was driving me crazy.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:25 PM
Serene Highness

All of the royal families were related in one way or another! For example, Grand Duchess Marie of Russia, wife of Queen Victoria's second son Alfred Duke of Edinburgh (and later Saxe-Coburg & Gotha), was yet another first cousin. Her mother, Empress Marie, was born Princess Marie of Hesse, a sister of Prince Charles and Prince Alexander.

Tags
biography, british history, debt, england, hanover, pictures, queen regnant, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha, victoria