The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-31-2017, 03:36 PM
Courtier

It took me the longest time for me to be able to read about Victoria and my eyes not glaze over. She lived a long life and there were just too many people coming and going and it was hard to keep up.

It may seem a bit low brow but I recommend watching the Edward the Seventh series on Youtube, Victoria is pretty much the star of the first four episodes and then she is a main character for episodes 5-10. From there I recommend documentaries, by the way I will be the first to admit that there are inaccuracies and dramatic license even in the documentaries, but after getting to know Victoria (and her kin) through the Edward the Seventh series and documentaries, it made reading about her more digestible and easier to understand the numerous players.

ETA:

Old 12-31-2017, 04:11 PM
Courtier

Thank you so much. I will do that. One of the things that is so confusing to me about the Born to Succeed book are the many parts of it related to the government at that time. It talks about all her political machinations and these different Bills that she was for and against without giving any intelligible background information on what they were. I think I need to study the government during her reign. I feel that the author, Elizabeth Longford, assumes the reader already has that understanding. However, it was published in 1964 so people 50 years ago probably did have a better understanding.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Love British history but Victoria is too modern for me. I have read a few biographies including Longford. I found actually having Wikipedia open next to me came in handy. If there was something that came up in the book that I wanted some clarification on, I switched over to my computer for a bit. Took a bit longer to read but definitely helped.

I do enjoy watching the odd video/movie about her. But I take it for what it is, entertainment, as stated even documentaries take poetic license in their story. But just as I love a historical fiction novel, the odd movie/documentary is great too for a good cold day in the house.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Thank you so much for this recommendation. I had literally been thinking the past couple of days that I would like to read a psychological study of her.
The book I am reading is the first I have read on her and she was definitely a complex individual. The thing that has impressed me about her is her awareness of her faults and her desire to improve.

ETA: The only book i can find with that title is by Carrolly Erikson.

Thank-you for that, Duchessrachel. It was, indeed, Carolly Erikson. I think one of the most touching -and revealing- things I've ever seen attributed to her, was her warning to her granddaughter Alix, the soon to be "Empress Of All The Russias", when the excited girl bought out yet more expensive baubles, part of Nicholas's engagement gifts, for her inspection, "Now, Alicky, you must not become proud"................I feel sure that the irony was lost on her.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Courtier

I am about to start a new book called "Victoria's Daughters" by Jerrold M. Packard. It got 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon, but one review gave me pause. One of the 1 star review said there are lots of mistakes in it. Has anyone read it that can verify this? I don't want to waste my time if what I am reading is not reliable. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Courtier

I am currently reading "Victoria's Daughters" by Packard and so far it is very interesting. I love all the history that is being covered and explained in a very readable, understandable way. It has really gotten me interested in the Hohenzollern family of Prussia. I am wanting to read the book "Letters to Vicky: The Correspondence Between Queen Victoria and Her Daughter Victoria, Empress of Germany, 1858-1901",if I can find it at a reasonable price. Before I read it, though, I would like to learn more about the Hohenzollern family of Prussia and as much history of that time as I can, so that I can better relate to what Vicky is writing about to Queen Victoria. Can anyone recommend a book or books about Prussia and/or the Hohenzollerns? I am finding that the more I read, the more I need (and want ) to read to learn more about what I just read Also, is there a good book to read on Princess Vicky? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:08 AM

I'm fairly new to these forums but have been a royal buff for years. I really love the royal texts by John Van Der Kiste. I own most of his books. I love Hessian Tapesty by David Duff and Theo Aronsons' Grandmama of Europe.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanes456 View Post
I'm fairly new to these forums but have been a royal buff for years. I really love the royal texts by John Van Der Kiste. I own most of his books. I love Hessian Tapesty by David Duff and Theo Aronsons' Grandmama of Europe.
Welcome to the forums, and thank you for that recommendation. I will look at some of his books.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:35 PM
Courtier

I use these links to find books about royals I am interested in. Maybe they will help you too:

hanes456 recommended John Van Der Kiste. You can search WorldCat for books written by him:
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=au...&qt=hot_author

You can also search for books about specific royals. For example, this link displays a list of books about Crown Princess Cecilie:
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=su...a%2C+1886-1954

Or books containing letters written by the Empress Frederick:
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=su...Correspondence

You can also read older books (not covered by copyright law) online at www.archive.org. For example, here's a link to "Potsdam Princes" by Ethel Howard, who was the English governess of Emperor William II's sons:
https://archive.org/stream/potsdampr...ge/n9/mode/2up
Old 01-21-2018, 10:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
I use these links to find books about royals I am interested in. Maybe they will help you too:

hanes456 recommended John Van Der Kiste. You can search WorldCat for books written by him:
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=au...&qt=hot_author

You can also search for books about specific royals. For example, this link displays a list of books about Crown Princess Cecilie:
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=su...a%2C+1886-1954

Or books containing letters written by the Empress Frederick:
https://www.worldcat.org/search?q=su...Correspondence

You can also read older books (not covered by copyright law) online at www.archive.org. For example, here's a link to "Potsdam Princes" by Ethel Howard, who was the English governess of Emperor William II's sons:
https://archive.org/stream/potsdampr...ge/n9/mode/2up
Thank you so much!!
Old 01-21-2018, 11:02 PM
Courtier

Has anyone read the book that came out recently by Julia Baird on Queen Victoria? I have read excellent reviews on it, but I am always more interested in what people on these forums think. I read one article that said there were people connected to the Royal family that didn't want it published because of some of the things it reveals. I wish I could remember where I read that and I would link it.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Victoria and her love for the animals

Queen Victoria’s animals - History Extra
Old 01-27-2018, 04:47 PM
Courtier

I don't know where to put this question, but since Lady Geraldine Somerset is mentioned in a book I read about Queen Victoria I will put it here. I have read quite a few books in the past year in the British Royal Family and in many of these books, Lady Geraldine Somerset's diary is mentioned. Has her diary been published? I think it would be fascinating to read.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Queen Victoria’s tomb will be reopened to the public for the first time in more than a decade amid plans to restore the Royal Mausoleum to its former glory, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.
Read more: Queen Victoria's tomb set to reopen to the public for first time in more than a decade
Old 02-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Hopefully the dampness problems have been resolved ,its been shut since the autumn of 2007 .

September 14th ,1982 :Death of HSH Princess Grace of Monaco
Old 02-22-2018, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

The Lord Mayor of London asked Queen Victoria if she would come to open the Blackfriars Bridge when it was completed. Victoria regreted that it was quite out of the question for her to do anything of the kind in the heat of the summer. In the event when November came, she opened the bridge on November 6, 1869.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Old 02-26-2018, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Old 03-15-2018, 01:58 PM
Courtier

Does anyone know anything about the book, The Last Kaiser : The Life of Wilhelm II
by Giles MacDonogh? Its get good reviews on Thriftbooks.com. I am asking here because he was the son-in-law of Queen Victoria and this board is more active than other royal family boards.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Does anyone know anything about the book, The Last Kaiser : The Life of Wilhelm II
by Giles MacDonogh? Its get good reviews on Thriftbooks.com. I am asking here because he was the son-in-law of Queen Victoria and this board is more active than other royal family boards.
Did you check his own thread? Maybe there's something in there?
Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941) and Family

or the "Royal Library" subforum on this site
Royal Library - The Royal Forums

Tags
biography, british history, debt, england, hanover, pictures, queen regnant, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha, victoria