The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Movie and TV adaptations irritate the hell out of me. Every heroine needs to be a sylph-like ingenue. Victoria was very young, under 5 feet tall and plump as can be yet is invariably portrayed by older, taller and slimmer women.

How sexist is that, we have turned a great woman, Queen Victoria, a woman who reigned so long her era is called 'Victorian', into a pretty dolly! Good grief, they even imply she fell in love with Lord Melbourne, a man of 60 yet portrayed by a young and handsome man to give the notion credence.

The idea that Victoria would "fall in love" with such a man is laughable yet is now an accepted 'truth'!
Rufus Sewell is 49 - so no longer "young" though he is irritatingly handsome. Jenna is 30, and I find her acting compelling enough to forgive her weight. She does have fairly broad shoulders and hips.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:43 PM
Courtier

Early portraits of her made her appear rather thin. I thought it was later that she got larger.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:04 PM
Commoner

I also watched the show and the first thing that came to mind after about 20 minutes was how fast they went from scene to scene or incident of one day to another day without anything in between. Maybe I am not explaining it right but it seems that the show moved to fast in her life during this time, like walking down the stairs and then on to something else without explaining what that meant to viewers that did not know her mother had such control over her life that she could not even do that alone as a child or teenager.....I have read a number of books and seen other shows about her which explained that situation yet things went to fast for me, just my opinion.

I so would have liked to see her put her mother in her place yet that will come. I think she being as young as she was not really having a positive male influence in her life when younger became very infatuated with Lord M, she was in the stages of new feelings that were totally unknown to her so she relied on him for guidance and directions when first becoming queen. In all it was very enjoyable and entertaining and will watch it when it does a rerun.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I've always taken it that Victoria, young, inexperienced and rather naive, developed something of a schoolgirl crush on Lord Melbourne. He advised her and must have seemed very witty and sophisticated. London Society seems to have treated the crush as rather a joke.

I think Victoria always had weight issues, probably a gift from her Hanovarian forebears. She started out as a slender young Queen yet within a year she complained that she was putting on weight and would have to do lots of horse riding. I think she was active and energetic when young (lots of dancing, walking and horse riding) but turned to comfort food sometimes when stressed.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I've always taken it that Victoria, young, inexperienced and rather naive, developed something of a schoolgirl crush on Lord Melbourne. He advised her and must have seemed very witty and sophisticated. London Society seems to have treated the crush as rather a joke.

I think Victoria always had weight issues, probably a gift from her Hanovarian forebears. She started out as a slender young Queen yet within a year she complained that she was putting on weight and would have to do lots of horse riding. I think she was active and energetic when young (lots of dancing, walking and horse riding) but turned to comfort food sometimes when stressed.
And add the fact that she had nine children in less than seventeen years...
Old 01-18-2017, 02:38 AM
Heir Apparent

^ Of course having all those children would have wrecked her figure. However, in my post and in the ones above, we were discussing the period before her marriage, the time of Lord Melbourne and the first three years of her reign.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
^ Of course having all those children would have wrecked her figure. However, in my post and in the ones above, we were discussing the period before her marriage, the time of Lord Melbourne and the first three years of her reign.
Ah yes. She was described as "plump as a partridge" as a child.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:20 AM
Majesty

Queen Victoria and Lord Melbourne's relationship revealed | Daily Mail Online
Old 01-19-2017, 02:47 AM
Heir Apparent

To be fair though, the BO and overweight thing of the young Queen Victoria, referred to in the above article linked by eya, occurred when she had a fit of the glooms. It was after the Flora Hastings and Ladies of the Bedchamber affair where she'd been heavily criticised and she was fed up with everything.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:08 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
It sounds like perhaps it would have been a good thing to have the Head Together campaign back in Victoria's time as a young Queen. The depression, the overeating and gulping alcohol are a good indication of how Victoria dealt with things that she thought she couldn't handle or even some as a way to strike back at her mother for her high handed treatment of her. I would think that after a lifetime of being "told" how to conduct every area of her life, she would have been more than a little intimidated by mama.

My armchair psychology isn't the best in the world.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:38 AM
Majesty

Queen Victoria statue missing from Houses of Parliament for over 100 years is found
Old 02-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I when stressed.
Of course she had a crush on him. he was a combination of father figure and handsome man.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Also, Denville, Lord M. was a witty man in that rather cynical Regency way that sometimes shocked the next generation. Victoria laughed at his witticisms. There was also the matter of his very romantic sort of past even if the Regency era was often regarded with horror by the Victorians, who regarded it as hopelessly immoral and depraved in all sorts of ways.

Victoria was told by an older lady of the Court about Melbourne's wife Lady Caroline Lamb and her liaison with Lord Byron and her later antics. She was terribly shocked that a wife could behave so to her husband 'when she should have been his help and support in all things'.

Therefore Melbourne had the added attraction in her eyes of being a wronged and tragic figure, (even though Melbourne loved his errant wife all his life and never remarried after her death.)
Old 02-26-2017, 03:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

I must have missed that story, Curryong. I think that Vic was ab it in love with him. He was middle aged but attractive, he was witty and clever and she looked up to him. He made her laugh and taught her things..
I don't think she had learned as much as she should under the guidance of her mother.. ad Lezhen.. so she needed a mentor when she became queen.
but as with John Brown in a differnet way, Vic would never have considered him consciously as a sexual partner or possible husband. SHe was IMO only likely to marry antoher royal.
As regards his past, I think that Victoria wasn't quite as prudish then as she became under Albert's influence... And was prepared to make exceptions about immoral behaviour if she was fond of someone.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:39 PM
Courtier

I am quite tickled at the thought of William Gladstone, of all people, making off with a statue of Queen Victoria, or should I say the one is very amused.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
They were the deeply personal etchings which caused a legal scandal, requiring Queen Victoria and Prince Albert to legally block pictures of their baby daughter and home life going on show without their permission.

Now, a secret volume of those very images, presented to Prince Albert’s loyal private secretary in thanks for his evidence in court, is to be put on display for the first time, after being given back to the Royal family as a wedding present.

A rare volume of 74 etchings, personally annotated by Victoria and given to George Anson, is to be displayed at Harewood House, and includes images by Victoria and Albert of their children, pets and one another.
Read more: The secret collection of Queen Victoria's personal etchings which caused a privacy scandal over Royal baby pictures*
Old 04-29-2017, 04:34 AM
Majesty

A SET of golden dominos owned by Queen Victoria will go under the hammer in Geneva....for up to £400,000.

Queen Victoria's dominos set to fetch £400,00 at auction | Royal | News | Express.co.uk
Old 05-27-2017, 11:40 AM
Majesty

"The doctor was exasperated with his patient, the Queen of England and Empress of India no less.
She just wouldn’t stop eating — and, not surprisingly, she was complaining of stomach pains and bloating (a ‘rising’, as she called it) that had kept her up all night, the result of a heavy pudding at dinner"

Old 08-05-2017, 04:06 AM
Majesty

Raj era shown in display of photos given to Queen Victoria | Daily Mail Online

Albums given to Queen Victoria go on display showing stunning insight into 19th Century Indian life
Old 08-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Hedge fund millionaire saves Queen Victoria’s coronet

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...onet-hzv3nbmqs

Tags
biography, british history, debt, england, hanover, pictures, queen regnant, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha, victoria