The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Nobility

If I am not mistaken, the queens regnant of England and Scotland succeeded to the throne when the dynasty was extinct in male line or the male line heirs were excluded from the succession, but Charlotte and Victoria had uncles.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Charlotte and Victoria were children of older brothers so there has to be no children left before it goes to the next brother. It like when George VI, the throne went to his eldest child (Elizabeth) not his next brother (Duke of Gloucester).

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 09-07-2016, 06:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Was there high support for female succession when George IV and William IV did not have any legitimate sons?
There was no real issue with Victoria being the heiress presumptive. William certainly saw her in that role and wanted her to be more at court as a result but her mother didn't want her to associate with her Hannover relatives all that much.

The consequence in some ways was that the Duke of Cumberland, not a nice man by any stretch of the imagination, could promote certain ideas about her due to his own desires and jealousies but there was no real call for Victoria to be passed over - except by the Duke himself. In the wider society and parliament itself.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There was no real issue with Victoria being the heiress presumptive. William certainly saw her in that role and wanted her to be more at court as a result but her mother didn't want her to associate with her Hannover relatives all that much.

The consequence in some ways was that the Duke of Cumberland, not a nice man by any stretch of the imagination, could promote certain ideas about her due to his own desires and jealousies but there was no real call for Victoria to be passed over - except by the Duke himself. In the wider society and parliament itself.
Thank you.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Slice of Queen Victoria's wedding cake sold at auction - BBC News
Old 09-19-2016, 04:25 AM
Heir Apparent

A pair of Queen Victoria's knickers sell for a record-breaking £16,250* | Daily Mail Online

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...-actually-like
Old 10-01-2016, 04:10 AM
Heir Apparent

How Queen Victoria's real-life passion was MUCH racier than the TV show - as her own breathlessly sensual letters reveal* | Daily Mail Online
Old 10-01-2016, 05:39 AM
Serene Highness

Thank god I am no Royal. I do not want to have my undertrousers sold at auction several decades later
BYe Bine
Old 10-01-2016, 06:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Victoria must have had dozens of bloomers that were quietly disposed of after her death. There are regular sales of these huge garments over the years. People still pay good money for them.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:45 AM
Aristocracy

Much as I love and am entertained by and very interested in all things royal, to aspire to owning bloomers owned or otherwise by Victoria or any other monarch is a bit a tad too far!

I'm sure she owned hundreds during her long life. I, for one am not interested!
Old 10-02-2016, 06:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think if Q.Victoria had known her undergarments would be sold to the public after her death, she would have ordered to burn them all
Old 10-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Courtier

I agree. This is something of Victoria's that should have been kept a Secret.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Victoria on Film
Old 10-12-2016, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Down Memory Way look back at Queen Victoria's visit to East Lothian

Down Memory Way look back at Queen Victoria's visit to East Lothian (From East Lothian Courier)
Old 10-26-2016, 11:40 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm actually amazed that once Victoria became Queen she didn't insist on living on one level of the palace. Stories I've heard is that she wasn't ever allowed to walk down or up a flight of stairs without an attendant.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-27-2016, 12:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is that as Queen or as a child?

I would believe it as a child - her mother was ridiculously strict - but as Queen she was considerably more in charge of herself, and I can't see someone putting that kind of restriction on her (and her actually following it).
Old 10-27-2016, 01:49 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As Queen, she finally escaped her mother's clutches and began to really have a life of her own and I would imagine every time she went up and down the stairs she would remember what part they played in her growing up. We really don't know though how it all affected her and she may not have ever even given it a second thought once she had her life as she wanted it to be.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-13-2016, 03:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Victoria's cherished watch: The true story of the Patek Philippe timepiece that disappeared - and resurfaced over a century later
Old 11-27-2016, 05:57 AM
Heir Apparent

We Are Not Amused: The Queen Victoria Quiz http://fb.me/8qrgcsbpg

I scored 21 out of 30. Not bad for me!!
Old 11-27-2016, 07:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Very good eya!

Tags
biography, british history, debt, england, hanover, pictures, queen regnant, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha, victoria