The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Victoria's 1851 census record

The National Archives have just released the records of the 1851 census, and among them you can find Queen Victoria herself!

The record shows the members of the Royal Family as well as five staff members who were with them at the time of the census, on 30 March 1951 in Kensington Palace. Also worth noting is that Prince Albert is listed as the "head" of the household. On the website address below you can read a full transcript of the record.

The census record of Queen Victoria

Old 05-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Aristocracy

Queen Victoria's Listed Role in Family

All accounts I have heard of say she took the role of wife and did treat her husband as the head of the family.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Royal Highness

Hey if anyone of you all are QV look-alike's than you may have a job waiting for you!

Search begins for Royal lookalike
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4746103.stm
Old 08-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieLouise
Do you think that either Victoria or Albert could have exerted much influence over Wilhelm II, though? Anyway, it seems that Europe was always going to go to war, it was just a matter of when! They all planned for it: Prussia had the Schlieffen Plan, France had Plan XVII, etc. Still, it is interesting to think that, hypothetically, if Victoria was alive when Wilhelm was at his autocratic peak, what would she have said to him?

After all I have read about Queen Victoria, she would have treated him as a petulant, spoiled grandson and would have taken him to task!! If he would have listened, I cannot say. While Wilhelm despised his mother, he seemed to have an affection for Queen Victoria, she died in his arms.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:50 AM
Administrator

What ifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin. After all I have read about Queen Victoria, she would have treated him as a petulant, spoiled grandson and would have taken him to task!! If he would have listened, I cannot say. While Wilhelm despised his mother, he seemed to have an affection for Queen Victoria, she died in his arms.
Yes, the Kaiser was at Osborne when the great Queen died, much to the consternation of the rest of the family!

If Prince Albert had lived longer he would probably have died an even more disappointed man; Bismarck ruled Germany through the Kaisers and there is little that Prince Albert could have done to influence affairs. Napoleon III had his own agenda and it is doubtful he would have allowed Albert's ideas to change his grandiose plans.

The more interesting "what if" is what would have been different if Friedrich III (Vicky's husband and father of Wilhelm II) had not died so soon after becoming Kaiser (he lasted 98 days). And before that, what if the first Kaiser and Friedrich's father, Wilhelm I, had not lived to be almost 91? If Friedrich had taken the Prussian and Imperial thrones at a younger age and had lived longer, then the liberal and democratic ideals of Prince Albert may have had an influence on the state of affairs in Germany. Even more so if Vicky's strident Englishness at the Prussian Court had been toned down!
Old 08-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

It would have been interesting, indeed, but I wonder if the situation was susceptible to change just because of the outlook of the emperor. I'm sure that, just as in royal households and governments everywhere, the people in power are there because of a major network of mutual support which isn't dependent on just one person. My suspicion is that, knowing what sort of person Vicky's husband was, Bismarck and his followers would have had the political savvy to be doing the necessary to effectively turn him into a puppet even if he did become Emperor.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Royal Highness

That is a very interesting thought Warren and unfortunately we will never know the answer to it. Bismarck could still have won as Elspeth stated. It would have been a very bitter battle for power at the palace, and from what I have read about Kaiser Wilhelm II, he probably would have sided with Bismarck just to anger his father and then attempted to wrest control back when and if he became Emperor.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

She has always been my favorite queen, I am not sure why I think because I saw a documentary type thing about her a long time ago, and I found her very interesting.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
She has always been my favorite queen, I am not sure why I think because I saw a documentary type thing about her a long time ago, and I found her very interesting.

I think the reason I love Queen Victoria is a supposed quote of her after the birth of her last child, Princess Beatrice. The Queen was advised to not have anymore children by her doctors, and she has been said to exclaim "What?? Can I not have fun in bed anymore? Far from being prudish, Queen Victoria was a real woman who embraced her sexuality to the best of her psychological abilities. I think that is great!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

hahaha, I like her even more now..I never heard that quote, she seems like such a strong woman. She was queen during a tough time in history and came out beautifully. She is in my top 5 best women in history.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Royal Highness

I am glad you like it Harry. I also suggest to you to view the A & E miniseries Victoria and Albert. While there are wide gaps and some inaccuracies, I think you will find it interesting! Also, try to get a look at A & E's Biography of Queen Victoria.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Royal Highness

Portrait of Queen Victoria:

1999-2000
www.arttoday.com

Old 08-22-2005, 06:53 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you Tiaraprin. Interesting dress. How old was she here?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
Thank you Tiaraprin. Interesting dress. How old was she here?
It did not say at the website. I would venture it was shortly after her coronation in 1837. She is wearing the George IV diadem and the royal robes and appears thin. Victoria gained weight as marriage and children piled on the pounds!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, the style of dress looks as though it dates from early in her reign.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:19 AM
Royal Highness

Edward, Duke of Kent, Victoria's father

Queen Victoria's father, The Duke of Kent:

www.pbs.org

Old 09-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Victoria's children and grandchildren can be found in most of the European royal families of the 19th and 20th centuries, including Catholic and Orthodox ones such as Spain and Russia as well as Protestant ones.
I found a descendant, William, son of Henry, Duke of Gloucester, who died in a plane crash in 1972 , he found out that he had porphiria some years before his death.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

what was her cause of Death
Old 09-28-2005, 01:52 AM
Royal Highness

Queen Victoria died at the age of 81 of natural causes in January 1901.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Nobility

Does anyone know which monarch was the last one to pay a state visit to Queen Victoria? It should've been some time in 1900.

Tags
biography, british history, debt, england, hanover, pictures, queen regnant, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha, victoria