The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-22-2014, 07:25 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for sharing!

I don't think the Queen is "in" her wedding dress. It looks like it was laid over her.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
Thanks for sharing!

I don't think the Queen is "in" her wedding dress. It looks like it was laid over her.
Regardless, and ITA w/you as I don't think her Wedding Dress would have fit her at that point, it's still respecting her wishes, as didn't she want to be buried wearing it? Not sure that happened, as I could swear it was part of that Historic Royal Wedding Gowns exhibit at KP a few years ago.

Still...Those are incredible pictures. Thanks for sharing them w/us.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wikipedia reports that Victoria was buried with her wedding veil, but both the lace and the dress were saved. The dress appeared on display at KP in 2012, but the lace was declared to be too fragile to take out of storage.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Wikipedia reports that Victoria was buried with her wedding veil, but both the lace and the dress were saved. The dress appeared on display at KP in 2012, but the lace was declared to be too fragile to take out of storage.
That explains it. Thanks Ish!! :)
Old 01-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Serene Highness

Queen Victoria was the first reigning monarch to use trains. In 1842 she made her first train journey.
For her June 22, 1897 Diamond Jubilee, Queen Victoria wrote in her diary:
"A never to be forgotten day.
No one ever, I believe, has ever met with such an ovation as was given me...
The crowds were quite indescribable..."

Prince Albert wrote.
"Dearest deeply loved Victoria"
Truly Albert loved Victoria.
Society garden breakfasts were initiated by Queen Victoria in 1868.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
From the invention of the telephone to the bicycle and even the steam ship, the Victorian period saw a mini revolution in the field of science and technology.

But of all the new gadgets invented during her reign, it was the camera that delighted Queen Victoria the most.

By the time she died in 1901, the UK's first modern monarch had amassed a huge collection of more than 20,000 images that included everything from favourite landscapes to early war photography and touching snaps of pets, friends and children.
Revealed: Queen Victoria's secret passion for photography | Mail Online
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Majesty

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Commoner

I find Queen Victoria the most interesting royal ever...but what a monstrous mother she was, overall. As soon as Albert died, she gave in to her innate selfishness and everything became about her...something Albert had warned her against not long before she did, telling her in a letter she would be better off if only she did not think so much about herself...and despite her immediate vow, when PA died, to only do as he would do, never go against his wishes...she proceeds to do exactly that, by hiding from her subjects for years on end and neglecting business. He would have been horrified.

But she was certainly the most interesting letter-writer, possibly ever. One can learn the entire history of the royal family in a nutshell by reading her letters to the Princess Royal, and later to granddaughter Victoria of Hesse.

If one learns motherly behavior from their own mother, evidently QV certainly took after her own mother with her domestic tyranny...

All JMO and I am a great fan of the British Royals...find them extremely interesting and am obsessed with books and documentaries on the subject.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:13 AM
Commoner

Lol...Queen V was always tracking applause meters...she hated to hear about the P of W or any other family member getting wildly warm receptions and was quick to remind them it was only due to being HER CHILD.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:18 AM
Courtier

Help identifying Queen Victoria's family

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...23_964x454.jpg

Does anyone know who the people are in this photo?
I recognize Queen Victoria, Queen Mary and George V.
Is the child sitting on Mary's lap George VI or Princess Mary Princess Royal?
Is the small boy standing in front of the lady next to QM, Edward VIII?
Is the boy standing on the chair in front of George V, George VI?
Who is the lady sitting next to Queen Mary?
If you can ID any others if will be great.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VRI & Family.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	291664  
Old 05-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Majesty

Video:
Victoria's Secrets: Diaries Of Queen Go On Show-
Victoria's Secrets: Diaries Of Queen Go On Show

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 05-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Gentry

Queen Victoria (1819-1901)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...23_964x454.jpg
Does anyone know who the people are in this photo?.
The lady sitting on the left (our right) side of QV is her daughter in law The Duchess of Connaught and the girl sitting on the ground in front of the duchess holding a dog could be her daughter Princess Patricia. I also think that the girl standing behind QM could be the DoC's other daughter Princess Margareth.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Serene Highness

At the Darmstadt wedding of her granddaughter, Princess Victoria of Hesse, to Prince Louis of Battenberg, Queen Victoria found Prince Alexander of Battenberg "very fascinating".
"I think him (as in beloved Papa's case) so wonderfully handsome."
Beloved Papa was Albert the Prince Consort.

Tags
biography, british history, debt, england, hanover, pictures, queen regnant, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha, victoria