The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Commoner

I don't like this woman.
During her reign, the poorness of a great deal of people was terrible.
And when women tried to get more rights, not only did she not support them, she was against them.
No, I don't like her at all.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Aristocracy

its very sad about ww1
it was never supposed 2 happen
the reason she married all her kids 2 different royal houses so something like that want happen also even if her first daughter was her only child and married the emperor of Germany could she still b queen and empress of Germany

Old 06-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Amazing footage from 1897 shows Queen's great-great-grandmother Victoria during her Diamond Jubilee carriage procession
Quote:
Just as the Queen yesterday celebrated her Diamond Jubilee with a carriage procession through the streets of London, so too did her great-great-grandmother more than 100 years ago. This incredible archive footage from June 22, 1897 shows Queen Victoria's carriage being pulled by eight cream horses from Westminster to Buckingham Palace on the six-mile route. Marching behind her in the film, on YouTube, are the 'bluejackets' (Royal Navy sailors), mounted riflemen and dragoons among others. And as the 78-year-old monarch was too frail to manage the steps on arrival at St Paul's cathedral for the thanksgiving service, the short ceremony was held outside the building.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Royal Highness

I thought this would be worth sharing,it shows some of Queen Victorias drawings from her private journals:
Queen Victoria's Drawings | Brain Pickings
Old 06-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Aristocracy

it is a special coming on 2 night about queen victoria on pbs
Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Mail Online
1 July 2012

Queen Victoria mourning dress that she wore in late 1800s sells for three times expected price

Mourning clothes worn by Queen Victoria in the late 1800s have sold for more than three times their expected price at auction.

The outfit, which is made up of a black silk taffeta, bombazine bodice and matching grosgrain skirt with a 43in waist, was expected to sell for between £1,000 and £2,000. But with bidding starting at £2,000, the outfit finally sold for £6,200 to an American buyer at the auction at Hansons Derbyshire Auction Centre in Etwall, Derby.

The royal family's milliner Robert Heath of Hyde Park Corner designed and made the complete set for the monarch, which also comes with a pair of small black boots and monogrammed silk undergarments. A fine black straw hat with mourning veil mounted with a shining ostrich feather also comes with the costume.

v The Mourning Dress
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VRI Mourning Dress.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	285931  
Old 12-17-2012, 04:43 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Queen Victoria hated her children, say academics
Quote:
The hidden misery of Queen Victoria’s household has emerged from Royal diaries and letters as well with interviews historians and biographers. According to the BBC, the series reveals “a story of manipulation, conflict, intimidation, emotional blackmail and fevered attempts by her children to escape the clutches of their domineering and needy mother”. Helen Rappaport, author of Magnificent Obsession and a contributor to the three part series, said Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were “pretty awful parents” to their four sons and five daughters. “She hated being pregnant. She had prenatal and postnatal depression. She didn’t breastfeed her children who she thought were horrible dribbling little things. She was not in the least bit maternal.
I think it has been well-established that while Queen Victoria wasn't fond of infants and toddlers, she loved her children very much and grew attached to them as soon as they were a bit older and had a chance to develop personalities. To say she hated her children is stretching the truth to a breaking point.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Serene Highness

I agree. Rather harsh assessment and false to boot! Victoria may not have been fond of infants and toddlers but I have never seen evidence that she hated her children. I think Albert scolded her for not being maternal when the children were very young.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 AM
Courtier

What was Victoria Relationship like with her Daughters-in-Laws? I have often wondered.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The 24th of May marks the anniversary of the birth of the future Queen Victoria in 1819.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post
What was Victoria Relationship like with her Daughters-in-Laws? I have often wondered.

I seem to recall that QV saw Alexandra as a breath of fresh air, but given her negative feelings about Bertie, perhaps that's not too surprising and Alexandra seemed to be a devoted daughter in law. However, QV strongly believed in "My way or no way" so it didn't take long before she was grumbling about everything Alexandra did, from partying to motherhood. I strongly suspect that QV, because she loved male attention, held more affection for her sons in law than her daughters in law.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Nobility

I think QV thought that she would change the prince, not join him.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Queen Victoria's mourning gown expected to sell for up to £3,000 at Derby auction | Royal | News | Daily Express
21 June 2013

Queen Victoria's mourning gown expected to sell for up to £3,000 at Derby auction

A black two-piece gown worn by Queen Victoria while she was mourning her husband Albert will go up for auction later this month.

The rare silk garment is expected to sell for between £2,000 and £3,000 when it goes under the hammer at Hansons Derbyshire Auction Centre in Etwall, Derby.

Victoria's dress, which consists of a bodice and skirt, dates to around 1890 and is typical of the mourning fashion the monarch wore following Prince Albert's death in 1861. The bodice and trained skirt, trimmed with black lace, chiffon, matt black sequins and mourning crepe, was given to the present owner's family by a lady in waiting at the beginning of the century.

It was on display at Kensington Palace until April this year as part of the Royal Ceremonial Dress Collection.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VRI Mourning Gown.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	289369  
Old 08-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Princess Alice,Countess of Athlone talks about Queen Victoria's Funeral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...hAbHLszw#at=29
Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Princess Alice,Countess of Athlone talks about Queen Victoria's Funeral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...hAbHLszw#at=29
Thank you SOOOO much for finding and posting this. Princess Alice seemed so very charming and happy to share all sorts of tidbits about her grandmother. What a great find!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Dumped Queen Victoria gets new life before Sri Lanka summit < Local News | Expatica United Kingdom

A statue of Queen Victoria which was banished from Sri Lanka's presidential palace amid fears it brought bad luck will now be spruced up for an upcoming Commonwealth summit. The 1897 statue of the former British monarch seated on a throne had been banished from the palace a few years ago and dumped in the backyard of Colombo's museum.

Museum superintendent Ranjith Hewage said the museum now planned to shift the statue to a better location so that it faced the main road as well as a public park, which was until recently named after her. "We will turn the statue from its present location to face the road."

v the statue
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VRI.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	289817  
Old 08-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Victoria, A very Contrary Queen | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 09-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Majesty

From my collection,pic made by me.

Print of Queen Victoria during the time of her Diamond Jubilee.It used to adorn the walls of the British Consulate General here in Amsterdam untill someone " stored " it at the attack...and all forgot about it for decades...The roof leaked,and dear Victoria suffered from it but it was her rescue too as they came to repair the roof and found her there...The frame was so badly damaged it had to be replaced,but the glass is original.She was then taken to an antique shop where we met and fell in love....She adorns my hall now after she only for a very short while adorned a wall in my bedroom...Not a good idea...She seemed to be peaking all the time...Really...the influence she can still yield...

Old 09-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Picture:
Queen Victoria at Aston Hall:
Fairy Tales do come True...just not for you

Is this picture legit? Wow, I've never seen a picture of her up close like that.

The Honourable Frances Shand Kydd
Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Serene Highness

Wow, it looks like her,is it really her? That is one great picture that I have never seen before.

Tags
biography, british history, debt, england, hanover, pictures, queen regnant, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha, victoria