The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Gentry

Victoria and Brown

Quite apart from gynaecological reasons, there was also a question of morality. Victoria believed passionately, in the institution of marriage. Even as a widow, she saw herself as the wife of Prince Albert, bound to him until her own death. The idea of a physical relationship with Brown would have repulsed her. I grew up on Deeside, and even to this day, you can hear all the various " Mrs Brown " stories, spoken as though they were established fact, when in reality they are nothing more than a rehash of old gossip, deliberately put about to discredit Victoria, and the institution she served so well.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:33 AM
Aristocracy

I suppose we have it on irrefutable authority that the young Victoria, whose voracious sexual appetite was so nymphomanic!!!!! banged on a locked door demanding sex because "I am the Queen"!!!! I really would love to know what proof there is for this sweeping statement and I find it amazing, that after all those years of (supposed) sex on demand Albert managed to father 9 children. However, he was never known for his stamina, possibly had bouts of depression, admitted that he would succumb to illness because he lacked the will to fight it. Of this type of personality, I would expect to find a degree of erectile dysfunction, but it seems unlikely to have been true of Albert. I believe Victoria enjoyed the company of those men who made her feel cared for, we know that she liked to see herself as the helpless little woman, but SEX!!! with any man other than Albert, whose wife she considered herself until her death, IMO would not have been on the agenda, and given what producing 9 babies had done to her body, it may have come as a relief not to have to go through it again.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

We are not amused: Royal exhibition reveals artist who dared to disobey Queen Victoria - Telegraph
Old 02-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Gentry

Victoria and Macleay

Thank you for posting this link, Lenora, i have never seen this minature of Prince Alfred, before, it`s charming. I think the article explains the Queen`s attitude fairly well and Macleay was wrong to have disregarded her wishes, with regards to respect for mourning, but also from an artistic angle. Looking at the portrait, Alfred would quite clearly not have struck the same dignified pose, had he been portrayed wearing white tie.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Aristocracy

Helen Rappaport's book: A Magnificent Obsession, Victoria, Albert and the Death that changed the British Monarchy comes out in North America later this March. I enjoyed reading my advance copy. Here's my review

Book Review of Helen Rappaport, A Magnificent Obsession: Victoria, Albert and the Death that Changed the British Monarchy | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian
Old 03-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Serene Highness

I'd have to say that Queen Victoria is my favorite British monarch.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 PM

I am reading a book of Victoria's letters and journals now...she was the most magnificent letter-writer, telling like it was and sparing no one's feelings.

I find myself laughing out loud at some of the outrageous things she wrote, especially to her daughter Vicki in Germany.

She wrote very frankly of her distaste for young babies, compared women who were pregnant too often to dogs and cows, scolded Vicki for being excited about her pregnancy when she should instead be only wanting to be with her husband, married only a few years.

She also wrote to her daughter that her only true happiness was alone with Albert, that she preferred him above all others, including her children.

And her descriptions of people, clothing, books, etc. are priceless. She also gave Vicki great lectures about not writing about her life in detail back to her mother, she wanted an hour-by-hour recap of Vicki's life, leaving out nothing.

She was quite a character.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance59 View Post
She wrote very frankly of her distaste for young babies, compared women who were pregnant too often to dogs and cows...
Yes. Victoria seemed to forget that she herself had 9 children. She even named a cow after Alice after she found out that Alice was breastfeeding her babies.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Serene Highness

I think after her ninth child was born and the doctors advised Victoria against having any more, she was reported to have said, "Are we not to have any fun?" Her love for Albert was both physical and emotional. She did not like the effect of lovemaking--getting pregnant and having children. And Victoria disliked infants but I believe she became fond of children after they developed personalities and left their infancy behind.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Heir Apparent

"Victoria disliked infants but I believe she became fond of children after they developed personalities and left their infancy behind".......and I quite agree with her on that point.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Poor Queen V never got over her little jealousies if any of her children or granchildren received attention and cheers...even into her seventies, she was writing in her journals and letters how Bertie, or George and May were cheered but that when she showed herself, that of course she was cheered much more...she also made a point to write a memo to one of the PM's that never were any of her children to represent her at an opening, event, etc...without referencing her, their mother. I guess someone must have slipped up once, lol

Overall, it is probably a good thing that Queens did not really have all that much direct power, as she judged everyone she dealt with on the basis of whether or not they had loved and admired Albert sufficiently. If they did, or pretended they did, she adored them, if not, she had no use for them. Their opinions, talents, etc. were far secondary to their love of Albert.

But I am very much enjoying reading the compilation of her letters and memos. ("Queen Victoria in her Letters and Journals". There was no one like her, that is for sure. And she always did want the best for her people.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Victoria and Abdul Karim: After John Brown's death, Queen fell for Indian servant | Mail Online
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 04-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

When Victoria met Albert: Tender letter reveals how Queen fell in love with her prince
Quote:
The Queen has released a series of photographs and personal letters giving a rare insight into the life of Queen Victoria. Buckingham Palace describe the collection as ‘Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee Scrapbook’. It commemorates the life of the only other reigning monarch to celebrate a Diamond Jubilee.
Absolutely fascinating insight; I actually enjoyed every bit of this article. Queen Victoria also had a delightful handwriting - so clear and beautiful!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Serene Highness

My dear Friends,

View Queen Victoria's scrapbook at this link:

Queen Victoria Online Scrapbook
Old 05-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Serene Highness

The last of Queen Victoria's great-grandchildren has passed away.

Count Carl Johan Bernadotte of Wisborg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who is the eldest of her great-great grandchildren? And the youngest? I believe Elizabeth II and Prince Philip are in that generation.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Administrator

The Queen diaries: Her Majesty wears traditional floral to launch website of great-great-grandmother Victoria's journals | Mail Online
24 May 2012

The Queen launches website for Queen Victoria's Journals

The Queen today launched a very modern resource - a website made up of the journals of her great-great-grandmother Victoria. The monarch used a remote control to reveal the site on a screen in Buckingham Palace’s throne room.

More than 40,000 pages of the diaries kept by Queen Victoria from the age of 13 until just before her death have been published. But the Queen provoked laughter when she commented, 'Mine's not being published.'

The Royal Archives, Bodleian Libraries at Oxford University and online publisher ProQuest scanned the pages - some in Victoria’s own hand and some edited and transcribed by her daughter Beatrice after her death - for the six-month project marking the Diamond Jubilee.

Queen Victoria wrote of the scenes that greeted her during a parade to mark her own 60-year reign: 'Passed through dense crowds, who gave me a most enthusiastic reception. It was like a triumphal entry. We passed down Cambridge Terrace, under a lovely arch bearing the motto, ‘Our hearts thy Throne’. 'The streets were beautifully decorated, also the balconies of the houses with flowers, flags, and draperies of every hue... The streets, the windows, the roofs of the houses, were one mass of beaming faces, and the cheers never ceased.'

The Queen paid tribute to her forebear on the website, writing: 'In this the year of my Diamond Jubilee, I am delighted to be able to present, for the first time, the complete online collection of Queen Victoria’s journals from the Royal Archives. These diaries cover the period from Queen Victoria’s childhood days to her accession to the throne, marriage to Prince Albert, and later, her Golden and Diamond Jubilees. It seems fitting that the subject of the first major public release of material from the Royal Archives is Queen Victoria, who was the first Monarch to celebrate a Diamond Jubilee.'

Interestingly, Victoria wrote on her Diamond Jubilee about sending a message electronically. 'I touched an electric button, by which I started a message which was telegraphed throughout the whole Empire,' she wrote. 'It was the following: "From my heart I thank my beloved people, may God bless them."'

The Twitter account @QueenVictoriaRI will be active during the Jubilee period. The online release of the diaries, which have been transcribed up to the year 1840, mark the start of a year-long programme to digitise work from the Royal Archive.

-> Queen Victoria's Journals website
Old 05-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Majesty

When I click on the link in your post, it takes me to a page with an error message. A technical glitch, I'm sure. Thank you for posting the article.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Nobility

^Looks like the correct link should be www.queenvictoriasjournals.org.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Yes, the Mail Online article gave two links. Both proved to be invalid.
I've added the correct link at the bottom of the post.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
^Looks like the correct link should be www.queenvictoriasjournals.org.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Yes, the Mail Online article gave two links. Both proved to be invalid.
I've added the correct link at the bottom of the post.
Thank you to the both of you for providing the correct links .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.

Tags
biography, british history, debt, england, hanover, pictures, queen regnant, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha, victoria