The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-19-2011, 07:47 AM
Aristocracy

Yes VM, I agree with you. For me, her loss is summed up by her words "There is nobody left to call me Victoria." The thought of her having to spend all those years in Imperial isolation is heartbreaking.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
Poor woman. Albert's death was truly a blow to her and one from which she never fully recovered. Today, many grieving spouses are given medication to treat their depression. It is clear to me that the Queen was greatly depressed for many years after Albert's death.
I agree that Queen Victoria suffered severe depression for some time after her husband's death but I do not agree that she `never fully recovered` from his loss. She always mourned Prince Albert but as time went on she actually recovered very well from her grief and there is much information to attest to this. Her older years were among her happiest.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
... Albert's arrival to England for the second time, at Victoria's invitation and which resulted in their engagement. Albert is shown as coming into Victoria's presence accompanied by two dogs. They seem to be a kind of wolfhound.!
In 'Victoria RI' Elizabeth Longford mentions Prince Albert's dog a couple of times...
On the second visit (which resulted in the engagement) she writes that the morning after Albert and Ernst arrived "...she could hear the brothers playing a Haydn symphony in the room beneath. Albert's charming greyhound, Eos, walked round the luncheon table, giving her paw and eating off a fork."

The day before Prince Albert's arrival from Coburg [for the wedding], "the greyhound Eos arrived with Prince Albert's valet."
Old 12-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaritsa View Post
Yes VM, I agree with you. For me, her loss is summed up by her words "There is nobody left to call me Victoria." The thought of her having to spend all those years in Imperial isolation is heartbreaking.

That comment wasn't made in relation to Albert's death however.

She still had Uncle Leopold for another 3 or so years. She still had her cousin George V of Hanover until 1878, her cousin George of Cambridge actually outlived her, as did her cousins Augusta of Cambridge and Mary Adelaide of Teck also lived until 1897.

If she had no one to call her Victoria it was her own fault because she stopped her cousins from calling her by her first name - something for instance which the present Queen hasn't done - they still do, in private - because that is what families do.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:05 AM
Aristocracy

This imperious side of her personality was revealed very early. As a child, she is quoted as explaining to another child that "I may call you Jane but you must not call me Victoria." It seems that her mother had already instilled in her, her lofty status.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaritsa View Post
This imperious side of her personality was revealed very early. As a child, she is quoted as explaining to another child that "I may call you Jane but you must not call me Victoria." It seems that her mother had already instilled in her, her lofty status.
She said that as a child? I thought she said that as Queen.It sounds arrogant but that seems to be how she was raised.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:26 AM
Majesty

There is a difference between saying that to the child of a servant - it was said to Sir John Conroy's child - that expecting her own first cousins or her uncles and aunts to call her something other than her name. They were family afterall and surely in private should have been able to use her Christian name to them.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 PM

Identification Help

Hi all, new member and I require some help. I dunno if this is the correct place to post this, but I came across this on EBay the other day and have no idea what it is, anyone able to shed some light?

Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Majesty

Actually it is the Golden Jubilee medal of Queen Victoria who ascended the throne in 1837 not 1838. Her Coronation was in 1838.

The dates are - birth 1819, crowned 1838, marriage 1840, and jubilee 1887. She chose the dates to go on it and decided on her coronation date rather than accession date.

Traditionally corornations take place at least a year after accession - to allow for the proper time of mourning e.g Victoria accession 1837, coronation 1838, Edward VII accession 1901, coronation 1902, George V accession 1910, coronation 1911, George VI, accession 1936, coronation 1937 (his coronation was on the date set for Edward VIII who acceded in January 1936 of course), and Elizabeth II, accession 1952 and coronation 1953.

The Jubilee medals will be awarded this year as well - so William will wear two medals and Harry three after the Jubilee, Edward will also go to three as well I think as I am sure he has the three Jubilee medals. The other men will also add one more to their current medals earned in the services and awarded for events of this kind.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 PM

This is what I thought it was originally, however I couldn't find proof anywhere, don't suppose anyone else could, I can only find proof of her Police issue jubilee medal.
Anyone able to help?
Sorry to post again but I am now in possession of the medal and am still none the wiser as to what it is, as stated I believe it was a medal for her Golden Jubilee but is there anyone out there who can give me a definite answer with proof if possible?

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p...23/unknown.jpg
Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 AM
Serene Highness

My dear Currie,

I am confused. Are you looking for written confirmation about Queen Victoria's Jubilee medal? Such as in some publication? I thought Iluvbertie cleared up your questions. If you are looking for some definitive proof, why not start with the royal family's website or some institution devoted to them. I am sure there must be list and description somewhere of all medals issued by the monarchs of England.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:11 AM

Yeah sorry wasn't too clear, I am happy with written proof from other members as it confirms what I believed. I was seeing if anyone knew of other proof that is more official as to make sure everyone was correct
Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Sketches by Queen Victoria that she didn't want seen revealed after 150 years | Mail Online
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the article, Al bina. What a good artist Victoria was, and some of her sketches are so detailed and endearing. You can tell this talent runs in the family. It seems more revelations are being made about the royal family of the past and present.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:43 AM
Courtier

I've just re-watched "Victoria and Albert" A&E miniseries for the second time. I love it! Queen Victoria and Prince Albert's love was just beautiful. Does anyone have any recommendations for good, honest biographies about the queen? Is there a book collection of her letters that can be read?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:49 AM
Heir Apparent

I am in the middle of their duel bio "We Two".So far it's a good read,and it reveals a lot of them and their personalities.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Courtier

Oh, I'll have to look that one up. That sounds like it might be good.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Courtier

Okay. I looked up "We Two" on Amazon and decided against it. Some of the reviewers were speaking of historical errors. A book that seemed to stand out to me is "Queen Victoria: Born to Succeed" (1965) by Elizabeth Longford. A local library has it so I decided to try it. It has been said that this version is excellent.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Could Queen Victoria have a daughter with John Brown?
Victoria's secret? According to tantalising new evidence, Queen Victoria married her Scottish groom and bore him a secret daughter who was spirited to America | Mail Online
Old 02-25-2012, 03:07 AM
Majesty

She was advised in 1857 to have no more children for health reasons so I don't think that 7+ years later - in her mid-40s she would have risked it.

Tags
biography, british history, debt, england, hanover, pictures, queen regnant, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha, victoria