Queen Mary, consort of George V (1867-1953)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder where the Stag supporter came from. The royal arms of the UK has a unicorn on that side.

Interesting the Queen Mum and Camilla have a different left supporter also. Kate is the unicorn which is the same as William's.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Kate also has a different left supporter.
he Supporter assigned to The Duchess of Cambridge is a white hind, which has had continuing Royal connections in England since the 14th Century. The lion is the Supporter of The Duke of Cambridge’s Coat of Arms.
http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRoyalFamily/TheDuchessofCambridge/Emblems.aspx

It's atradition. One supporter is from husband's arms, one supporter is personal for every consort.

Thanks for a correction. I just saw a white deer/horse thing but total missed that it didn't have the horn.

Kate's coat is quite matchy to William's with the same colors in the Middleton arms and the hind thing is sort like a doe to William's buck -the unicorn. With those acorns, I would have gone with a heraldic red squirrel for a supporter :)

Kate's coat is quite matchy to William's with the same colors in the Middleton arms and the hind thing is sort like a doe to William's buck -the unicorn. With those acorns, I would have gone with a heraldic red squirrel for a supporter :)
:D
DoCarms.jpg

Kate also has a different left supporter.
http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRoyalFamily/TheDuchessofCambridge/Emblems.aspx

It's atradition. One supporter is from husband's arms, one supporter is personal for every consort.

Thank you for this correction, I posted without actually looking at the supporter for Kate's arms.

It's interesting that this is a tradition that has extended to Sophie in recent years - she has her own personal supporter - but not to any of the non-direct line wives before her. Sarah didn't have a personalized supporter, nor do the Duchesses of Kent or Gloucester, or Princess Michael. Going back further than that it's harder to tell, but between from Queen Caroline to Prince Albert, none of the Consorts seemed to have had their own supporters either. Interestingly, Prince Albert's arms were rather unique for a husband's; they quartered the royal coat of arms of the UK differenced and the arms of Saxony.

A golden wyvern is believed to have been the symbol of the medieval kingdom of Wessex.
Wyvern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okay, that's absolutely adorable. I love it.

Thanks for a correction. I just saw a white deer/horse thing but total missed that it didn't have the horn.

Kate's arms are very matchy, as are are Sophie's. In a lot of ways it's nice, because arms can be... well they can quickly become a bit of an eye sore. At the same time, though it almost makes them look as though the arms themselves have been designed with the intention of impaling them with the royal arms in mind. In contrast, when you look at Camilla or Sarah's arms you can tell that they were created with no regard for what the post-marriage arms would look like - for better or for worse.

Queen Mary would prod King George V with her umbrella when she believed he spoke too long in public.

Queen Mary had a post-dinner cigarette.
themonarchist.blogspot.com/2009/11/smoking-story-about-queen

On the same day that the new Queen Elizabeth II had returned from Kenya, Queen Mary made the trip from Marlborough House to Clarence House. Mary curtseyed to her granddaughter. It is said that Elizabeth felt she should be curtseying to her grandmother.

Queen Mary at an aircraft factory
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-ki...-britain-at-an-aircraft-factory-69822799.html

Queen Mary attended the premiere of The Lavender Hill Mob on June 28, 1951. She wore the Diamond Bandeau Tiara which Meghan wore on her wedding day in 2018.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/962198400

Last edited by a moderator:
George and Mary were totally devoted to each other. It's tempting to wonder what sort of married life Mary would have had with Prince Eddy, who was quite louche in my opinion.

As sad as it sounds, I believe that both Mary and everybody else was better off with George V.

Princess Mary Adelaide was a throwback in personality and outlook to her Hanovarian ancestors, as was her brother George, Duke of Cambridge, IMO. All the gaiety, fecklessness, exuberance of the Regency era really, in spite of her birth date. She was lucky she found a mate (albeit later in life than was normal for a princess in the 1860's because of her girth) who allowed his wife her head.

Last edited:
Yes, I think in many ways Mary was Victoria's sort of Princess, quite good looking, socially accomplished, quiet, (not extroverted like her mother) very respectable, not likely to shock anyone, and yet very capable, and happy to be supportive to her black sheep of a grandson, which was the main reason Mary was decided upon.
All the same, I do think that Britain, and Mary, escaped a bullet when poor old Prince Albert Victor died.

All the same, I do think that Britain, and Mary, escaped a bullet when poor old Prince Albert Victor died.
Yeah, that is probably true. It is funny how history would repeat itself in the next generation though, when the oldest son yet again was a black sheep next to a more dutiful younger brother, who would call himself "George" as a king.

Last edited:
Poor old Eddy, he seems to have been a kindly young man in his way, but I do find Mary's agreeing to marry him pretty shocking. Yes she was reared to do her best for the Crown but he would probalby have been a disastrous king..

Well, we will never know for sure. But we can be pretty sure that Mary believed that things had happened for a good reason, so the "right" brother could become king twice.

Did Queen Mary smoke?

The Netflix series 'The Crown' portrayed Queen Mary smoking frequently as she neared the end of her life, often in bed!
I'm sure they did a lot of research, but does anyone know if Queen Mary was a heavy smoker in old age? I didn't know this before.

There are conflicting reports that Mary died from lung cancer, and not from gastric illness. The reports of lung cancer may have led to conclusions she was a heavy smoker :ermm:

The Netflix series 'The Crown' portrayed Queen Mary smoking frequently as she neared the end of her life, often in bed!

I'm sure they did a lot of research, but does anyone know if Queen Mary was a heavy smoker in old age? I didn't know this before.

I wondered the same thing. Of all the bios I have seen, that has never come up before.

An anecdotal story of Queen Mary smoking in the officers' mess.

Smoking Story about Queen Mary

The News Chronicle newspaper apparently found out, goodness knows how, that Queen Mary smoked twice a day, once after dinner, once after tea! If Queen Mary did suffer from respiratory complaints in later life, it's far more likely, IMO, that she was a passive smoker. Her father-in-law, sons, and most of all, husband, were heavy smokers.

I'm not sure if Mary's father and three brothers smoked, but if they did and she was in their company for any length of time, that would set her up for lung trouble in later life. If Queen Mary was a smoker, even a social one, that wouldn't have helped either.

Last edited:
Yes I too was wondering too if Queen Mary was a smoker as portrayed in the Netflix series 'The Crown'.

I read a memoir of Madame Wellington Koo some years back, and she was a friend of Queen Mary. She wrote about a visit where she and Queen Mary "smoked companionably." I don't know that she was a chain smoker, but she did smoke.

I remember the first time I read about her cause of death that it was lung cancer, I remember being struck by it because that meant she and her son George VI died of the same disease within a short time of each other. Later on I read other accounts that her cause of death was stomach related.

I also remember reading that she was a smoker, did not know whether or not she was a heavy smoker. I think that one of the accounts was that she and George V spent their evenings in York Cottage, smoking, while he read and she knitted.

I have to say, remembering Queen Mary's public persona, I find it difficult to visualise her sitting there, doing the knit one, pearl one, puffing away with a ciggie hanging from her lips!!

I didn't know she smoked, but looking at old pictures and small Video clips, she really didn't appear to be a nice woman, IMO. It's hard to even imagine George V as a nice person. Their faces looked very hard.

I read a memoir of Madame Wellington Koo some years back, and she was a friend of Queen Mary. She wrote about a visit where she and Queen Mary "smoked companionably." I don't know that she was a chain smoker, but she did smoke.

I think most smokers turn into chain smokers; it's rare to see an occasional smoker, though people may start out that way.
She probably was a heavy smoker.

Back
Top Bottom