The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Letters and cards from Queen Mary come to light after almost 60 years - Telegraph

Affectionate letters and Christmas cards from Queen Mary to her favourite army officer have come to light.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Commoner

Queen Mary in white ermine coat

I once spotted a picture of Queen Mary of Great Britain wearing a white ermine coat. It neither was at the wedding of the Princess Royal Mary or Princess Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon,the Queen mother, nor at any coronation festivity. I guess the picture rather showed Queen Mary on a boat.
I have been looking through my archives but have not been successful in finding it.
Can anybody be of help to me an post a picture/link according to my description? Thanks a lot for any help!

Old 02-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Courtier

Could it be during the Coronation Durbar? There is a picture showing Their Majesties on a balcony of Shah Jehan's palace in order to present themselves to the huge crowds at the garden party.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/3307...5A1E4F32AD3138

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/3280...5A1E4F32AD3138
Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Commoner

Just found this thread, so long delay in responding to the picture Warren posted on 11 August 2008. There definitely is a touch of Prince Harry there!
Link: Queen Mary, consort of George V (1867-1953)
Old 02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
Could it be during the Coronation Durbar? There is a picture showing Their Majesties on a balcony of Shah Jehan's palace in order to present themselves to the huge crowds at the garden party.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/3307...5A1E4F32AD3138

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/3280...5A1E4F32AD3138
No, it is not a cape but rather a whole white ermine coat; more like that one in this link
Mirrorpix, search for picture WA1003664
Old 02-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermine View Post
No, it is not a cape but rather a whole white ermine coat; more like that one in this link
Mirrorpix, search for picture WA1003664
This is a similar pic, without watermark. The image is no longer subject to copyright.

York Wedding, 26 April 1923
From left to right:
Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary, Duchess of York, Duke of York, King George V
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wedding 1923 with Q Alexandra.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	269056  
Old 02-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I've always loved Queen Mary's look.
Maybe not her politics or the way she handled her family. But she always looked like a Queen
x
Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Courtier

Thanks, Hermine and Warren. The only pic I found in my books is one of Queen Mary & Queen Alexandra & Toria attending the Mountbatten wedding in 1922. QM is seen full scape in something which appears like a white fur coat. Unfortunatly the picture is really really tiny and I doubt anything will be seen, if I scan it and attach it. Also I could not find it online ... Lord Louis and his bride - yes - but not their royal guests So Sorry!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Commoner

Queen Mary in ermine coat

Thanks a lot for the picture on the balcony without watermarks - I really do enjoy it - although I am still missing that special photo.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalafrana View Post
Just found this thread, so long delay in responding to the picture Warren posted on 11 August 2008. There definitely is a touch of Prince Harry there!
Link: Queen Mary, consort of George V (1867-1953)

I see the similarity pretty clearly as well!
Lovely photo.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Hmm, don't see the resemblance to Prince Harry myself...

But I was on ebay today and noticed a tobacco card being sold (from Ireland) featuring the future Queen Mary as the Duchess of Cornwall. (I was looking for Camilla collectibles.)
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Courtier

Letters from Queen Mary to friend to be sold at auction - Telegraph

Old 06-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Commoner

Queen Mary (1867-1953)

I enjoyed this forum with the amount of new photographes I've never seen. Reading your posts I remember a Queen Mary's reference on loyalty, "loyalty to your king, loyalty to the country where you live ,and loyalty to God." As a queen she was and acted like this.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thanks for posting this! Didn't she had a beautiful voice? Her voice reminds me a bit of Princess Alexandra of Kent's (which I heard only one time in an video about her wedding).
Old 09-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Aristocracy

thanks for the link
yes, Queen Mary's voice was the voice of a lady full
of intelligence and vitality... whereas King George's voice seened that of a man... a little world weary... it was like the surmon of a country vicar.

However, it does sound like the talk was specifically addressed to an audience of children.... Children of the Empire... or something.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PssMarie-Elisabeth View Post
Did Queen Mary have a 'curious' foreign accent? ... you be the judge
It does sound like Mary had a German accent. After all, she was a princess of Teck, a German princinpality.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Courtier

Thank you for the link, PssMarie-Elisabeth!
Queen Mary had a very pleasant voice. King George did sound like a preacher a bit, but then the message was addressed to the children of the British Empire.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Aristocracy

My pleasure * great quotes by the way * ^o^
Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

As to the accent, I always thought the way Queen Mary and King George were speaking was a kind of old fashioned british-accent (rolling the r's)? I don't know. Mary of Teck was born in London/Kensington Palace and raised in England, so I suppose she would have been raised bilingual at least. But I always (maybe its just me) thought George V. had a bit of a german accent? I'm a bit indetermined
Old 09-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Courtier

Although I am by far no expert in English accents, I didn't really notice any German accent in Queen Mary's message. But, like Dierna23, I thought King George did sound a bit German.
Or maybe it was just English as it sounded over 100 years ago.

I don’t see how Queen Mary could have had a German accent: she was born and raised in England. Her family moved to Germany when she was 16 but came back to England 2 years later. Her mother, Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, lived in England since she was 3 years old. Her father lived in England for 40 years of his life. Surely English wasn’t a second but first language for Queen Mary and her family?

We got so engrossed in the discussion of the accents, we more or less forgot about the actual message of Their Majesties:
I thought it was a very good advice/message to the 'boys and girls' of the British Empire, which can be applied today as well, for people all around the world: "every one of you counts and what you do and learn now will decide how far you will be able to play your part worthily when you grow up".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PssMarie-Elisabeth
...great quotes by the way * ^o^
Thank you. Those are my favourite Latin sayings.

Tags
biography, british history, george v, pictures, princess may of teck, queen consort, queen mary, windsor