Queen Mary, consort of George V (1867-1953)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder, based on the photo, if Mary didn't enjoy her younger children more than the older ones. Perhaps she was a rather nervous young mother? I know that she was particularly close to the Duke of Kent, and I believe she was very fond of Johnny, too, poor boy.

What wonderful photos of Mary! Thank you for sharing, Glittering Tiaras--she is my favorite royal of all time. An incomparable lady, there has been no one like her since

IMO,The most moving of royal photographs is the one entitled "Three Queens". It's the one we have all seen when King George VI died of his mother, his wife and daughter...The look of grief on Queen Mary's face is deep and tragic...because she knows how her son (yet another one to perish before her) suffered and how her granddaughter must now assume enormous responsibilty.

What kind of mother was she to her only daughter?

Both Queen Mary and King George found their relationship with their only daughter much easier than those they had with their sons perhaps with the exception of their special youngest son John. They seemed very close to the younger Mary and missed her a great deal when she left home to marry. King George was said to have never lost his temper with his daughter in the way he did with his sons.

1. Mary and her daughter Princess Mary (Princess Royal)
2. Queen Mary & the Duchess of Teck c1893

Attachments

• 2 mary's.jpg
    2 mary's.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,294
  • 1893 Marys.jpg
    1893 Marys.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1,900
Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to take a moment and say how much I enjoy this particular thread; I don't often post on it but I so appreciate all the wonderful pictures of Queen Mary--she has always been a particular favorite of mine.

I just want to take a moment and say how much I enjoy this particular thread; I don't often post on it but I so appreciate all the wonderful pictures of Queen Mary--she has always been a particular favorite of mine.

I love Queen Mary, she's one of my favorite queens of all time ! :)

This is a great forum, I like it very much, there are some beautiful pictures and information. It´s a pleasure to como here and read.

IMO,The most moving of royal photographs is the one entitled "Three Queens". It's the one we have all seen when King George VI died of his mother, his wife and daughter...The look of grief on Queen Mary's face is deep and tragic...because she knows how her son (yet another one to perish before her) suffered and how her granddaughter must now assume enormous responsibilty.

Awaiting the arrival of the coffin of George VI for the lying in state at Westminster Hall.

a tactile moment

¤

I think what the little princess tried to say to the minister was that her title was Princess and not "Lady"..I dont know, just my opinion..I would like to ask the Queen about it lol :D , but I dont think she still remembers it..lol

I read this story but the Princess who said this was Queen Victoria´s daughter Vicky later Empress of Germany. Also another story from the same book was that the little princess Victoria would insist on calling Doctor Brown the family physician "Brown" her attention was called to this many times until Queen Victoria said "if you don´t say Doctor Brown you will be sent straight to bed". On the next visit Princess Victoria turned to Dr Brown and said "Goodnight Brown I am just going to bed".

Eyes

This lady had a real regal carriage. The shape and the position of the eyes of Prince Charles and his son Harry were inherited from Queen Mary.

And that would be, what, three and four generations away? Nice...

She shows a definite forshadowing of Prince Harry in the picture taken of her as a young woman with her mother! And yes, I see the resemblance to Prince Charles around the eyes. Thank you for mentioning that, because I hadn't picked up on it before.:flowers:

The shape and the position of the eyes of Prince Charles and his son Harry were inherited from Queen Mary.

And that would be, what, three and four generations away? Nice...

Queen Mary is great grandmother to Prince Charles, but he inherited directly from his mother, who inherited directly from her father, and so on. Genes can be dominant or latent, and QEII, if she does not have those eyes, had those genes in her genetic information or patrimony.

2ltoj87hz2.jpg

My sister walked into my room, when I was watching this picture, and she commented on how uncomfortable that corset must have been.

My sister walked into my room, when I was watching this picture, and she commented on how uncomfortable that corset must have been.

I happen to like corsets ... really improves and enhances a lady's outward appearance :)

Yeah, but we still aren't wasps.

She looked like a formidable lady,but in fact she was quite shy ( did nt I read of Noel Coward dancing with her at some social event and Noel realizing she was shy ? )

Also she has been criticized as being a little cold and distant with her children which had a detrimental effect on their royal lives.... somehow she did nt really enjoy the role of motherhood.

Yet in later life she became the loving, doting grandmother ..it seems that was the role she loved to play.

Acknowledgement to Eva at RJOTWMB, who presented this high-quality postcard of a youngish-looking and tightly-corsetted Mary wearing just a few diamonds.
(image copyright has expired)

QueenMary6.jpg

Ah, what a lovely picture! She was rather young there, right?

She's wearing the Cullinan III and IV ("Granny's Chips") so I'd guess that airbrushing is the secret to her youthful looks. :D

Back
Top Bottom