Queen Mary, consort of George V (1867-1953)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Victoria1999 said:
Does someone know what was the relationship between queen Mary and her daughter-in-low Elizabeth. From what I know they both had very strong personalities.

Few weeks ago, I got the DVD "The Windsors: A Royal Family". Have you seen this documentary?

I own the DVD and it is good for learning about the Royal Family from the early 20th Century.

I understand both Queens got along together quite well. They had similar attitudes when it came to the preservation of the Crown, and the mutal hatred of Wallis Simpson.

There's always more...

emily62_1 T[font=Verdana said:
hat fascinates me, and as some1 told me, -the more u know, the more u want to know,- it's true ! thanx.....[/font]
And the more you know, you realise how much you don't. Which I guess is why we contribute to these forums!
:)

Warren said:
And the more you know, you realise how much you don't. Which I guess is why we contribute to these forums!
:)

u're so right !!!!!!!!!

Ennyllorac said:
Looking through the pictures of Queen Mary, you can definitely see that Queen Elizabeth does look a bit like her.

I think Margaret is just like Mary, Q Mary's daughter, at the same age, they were like twins.

lashinka2002 said:
When the current Queen Elizabeth was 6 years old, a Minister of State, on encountering her at Buckingham Palace, greeted her with "Hello, little lady." "I'm not a lady, I'm Princess Elizabeth" came the snotty retort. On hearing of this, Queen Mary the following week marched the Princess into the presence of the Minister to apologize, beginning with "This is Princess Elizabeth, who hopes one day to be a lady."

I think what the little princess tried to say to the minister was that her title was Princess and not "Lady"..I dont know, just my opinion..I would like to ask the Queen about it lol :D , but I dont think she still remembers it..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Mary's Dolls' House

this is a funbook to have, beautifull pictures, not only of the rooms but of single objects.

Michael of Kent has written the foreword, when he was five he was only allowed to see his grandmothers dolls house at windsor castle by the housekeeper Mrs. Bruce if he sang au clair de la lune:

... My own agony at having to perform was as nothing compared to that of everybody else forced to listen, I am sure; but unless and untill I completed every verse, standing beside her at the keyboard and facing my audience, there was no question of any fudge or, worse, a look at the dolls' house......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0091820197/qid=1130660746/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_10_4/202-6122875-1899053

All I can say is thank God for Queen Mary & her love of jewels...

"MII"

What and awesome thread!
Thanks for all the great pictures - some I have never seen!
Are there anymore of her Coronation? Or that of her at King Edward VII?
I like to see all the "old" Royals in their Coronation plendor....
Thanks!!!

Mahoogie said:
I think what the little princess tried to say to the minister was that her title was Princess and not "Lady"..I dont know, just my opinion..I would like to ask the Queen about it lol :D , but I dont think she still remembers it..lol

No, I don't think that's what she meant. It said that she replied "snottily", which meant she thought the Minister was calling her a "Lady" which is a rank below "Princess". So her Grandmother marched her to the Minister to say that "She was a Princess who one day hoped to be a Lady", meaning that she should have had better manners and not responded the way she did.

Queen Mary

I really adore Queen Mary of Teck. I think she's very charming and elegant queen. She also has a great sense of fashion. She has many magnificent jewelry collection and off course, beautiful dresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, did you see that waist? Boy, that looks beautiful, but I would hate to be stuffed in those corsets!

I love the first picture of QMary looking young and wistful, she became stern very soon in life, a shame. I'd like to see more of that look in Queen Mary. I wonder if George V and Mary ever had romance and humour in their lives:wub: , or was it all a sense of duty?!

auntie said:
I'd like to see more of that look in Queen Mary. I wonder if George V and Mary ever had romance and humour in their lives:wub: , or was it all a sense of duty?!
There was the public and the private side, and Queen Mary was very conscious of preserving what she saw as the 'dignity' of the Monarchy.
However, there are glimpses of a different woman behind the stern facade, and here's one...

auntie said:
I love the first picture of QMary looking young and wistful, she became stern very soon in life, a shame. I'd like to see more of that look in Queen Mary. I wonder if George V and Mary ever had romance and humour in their lives:wub: , or was it all a sense of duty?!

Yes! Even though the marriage was pretty much an arranged one and the couple did appear quite stiff and undemonstrative, they actually grew to love each other very much with George, in particular, becoming deeply dependent on his wife.

At the time of their wedding, May wrote: "I am only looking forward to the time when you and I shall be alone at Sandringham...I am very sorry that I am still so shy with you, I tried not to be so the other day, but alas failed, I was angry with myself! It is so stupid to be so stiff together and really there is nothing I would not tell you, except that I love you more than anybody in the world, and this I cannot tell you myself, so I write it to relieve my feelings".

George replied: "Thank God we both understand each other, and I think it really unnecessary for me to tell you how deep my love for you my darling is and I feel it growing stronger and stronger every time I see you; although I may appear shy and cold".

There is cute little story about May having two "love" cushions on her bed, with "May" and "George" embroidered on them. George was said to sometimes arrange these cushions to read May George. If convenient, May would arrange them to read George May...!!!:lol:

That's so sweet, I'm really touched to read this, it shows that however formal it was, they still loved each other...

Yes, she is.. granddaugther of Queen Mary...

Would the duke of Kent be Mary's grandchild too? I'm sorry, I'm not that good with the minor Brittish royals.

George, Duke of Kent was her son. Edward, Duke of Kent is her grandson.

Queen Mary & Princess Elizabeth of York 1926/7

QueenMarywithPrincessElizabethofYor.jpg

what a fab picture, thanks for posting it !

I think the current Queen Elizabeth resembles Queen Mary the most.

I find it quite striking to see the difference between Queen Mary the mother and Queen Mary the Grandmother.
With her children she has this stiff, cold and impersonal regal appearance that was quite typically for the time (even commoners didn't even smile on photographs:rolleyes: ).
However several decades later, a completely new image comes up. Her pride in Princess Elisabeth of York is evident in most the pictures.
Is this only in pictures? Because the attitude towards pix had changed and people dared smile in them ?
Or does it also reflect a change in attitude? It is not unheard of that very cold and distant parents grew into most loving and understanding grandparents.
When she was a mother, her parenting was quite a reflection of the time, children where quite removed from their parents lives. However this attitude slowly changed and by the time she became a grandmother, it was not regarded as completely horrid, to involve the children a bit more into ones life and to express feeling towards them. (however as the relationship of QEII and Charles and the one between Diana and her sons show, it has been a rather slow and continuing process)

I was reading Leslie Field's book on the Queen's Jewels and the book talked about Queen Alexandra had been a beautiful woman and that it was hard for Mary to live up to her and her beauty. Frankly, I really just don't see it. I think Queen Mary was an elegant and beautiful lady--Queen Alexandra was lovely, but I think Queen Mary was beautiful in a more distinguished way.

I see Queen Alexandra as the most beautiful one out of the two, but Mary had more authority and dignity.

Who Was More Beautiful

There are many ways to be beautiful or even outrageously beautiful. Its hard to tell now because we only have photos and paintings. I suspect it would be hard to tell unless you could met both and, even then, it would be a case of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Two to beam up!":)

Back
Top Bottom