The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Nobility

Is there a place online to view Queen's Mary's collection of miniatures--not just her doll house? In the two books I read on her there was discussion of her collection of miniature objects of all kinds. I would just love to see this collection.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Aristocracy

As I recently joined forum, I looked here and thought of Osipi mentioning to me in different thread I should look around the different topics This is a wonderful site chock full history. Many thanks to gogm for directing to the photo albums. Late last night I thought I’d take a peek. Three hours later I retired. As you see I’m here again. It’s absolutely fascinating to see the history and I so enjoy the family resemblances it’s uncanny. Oh to be a fly on the wall at BP and hear the opinions of our beloved RF as they look at their photos.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I know I'm off topic on this thread, but I've always been intrigued by the un-Mountbatten/Windsor-like looks of Prince Andrew. (I'm not hinting at anything unsavoury in that observation, by the way.)

Except for the Mountbatten choppers he looks nothing like Prince Philip, and very little like his mother either. It was said when he was young that Andrew looked like the young George V, (before the beard, obviously,) and I've noticed a bit of a resemblance, but really Andrew doesn't look like his parents or any of his siblings. Maybe there's a Bowes Lyon throwback in looks as Eugenie is said to resemble the QM?
Old 10-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Continuing the OT: imo indeed P.Andrew takes after the Bowes-Lyon family, for me from the eyes down he resembles f.i. David Bowes-Lyon brother of QEQM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/c2...c407118779.jpg
Forehead and hair imo from P.Philip's side of the family
Imo in the next generation Peter Philips resembles hus uncle Andrew a bit (and imo P.William resembles Peter Philips in a way)

They all don't have the distictive Q.Mary features that for instance QEII, P.Anne, Louise Wessex and P.Mary (countess of Harewood) share

ok, i'll stop the OT now
Old 10-07-2017, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't see any resemblance between Eugeine and the queen Mum.. she has a look of Fergie, but heavier and darker.
True that Andy Does look oddly "out of palce" in his family, he does not have the standard Windsor looks.. or his father's good looks...
Old 10-07-2017, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Denville go look at pics of the Queen Mum when she was younger...she and Eugenie have a definate resemblence to one another.

Prince Andrew has the look of Queen Mary.

laRae
Old 10-07-2017, 04:17 PM
Aristocracy

I agree Pranter...when first I saw Eugenie in the Harpers Bizarre pics thoughts were of QM resemblance. Eugenie looked lovely
Old 10-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
I agree Pranter...when first I saw Eugenie in the Harpers Bizarre pics thoughts were of QM resemblance. Eugenie looked lovely
She can be absolutely stunning at times.

LaRae
Old 10-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Eugenie's smile is quite a bit like her mother's and she often smiles quite broadly, making it a little harder to see the similarities to her great-grandmother, but in photos where her mouth is closed or the expression on her face is more neutral, Eugenie looks very much like QM.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Honeslty can't see any resemblance between the York girls and most of the RF. Beatrice looks like Sarah a bit...
Old 10-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Continuing the OT: imo indeed P.Andrew takes after the Bowes-Lyon family, for me from the eyes down he resembles f.i. David Bowes-Lyon brother of QEQM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/c2...c407118779.jpg
Forehead and hair imo from P.Philip's side of the family
Imo in the next generation Peter Philips resembles hus uncle Andrew a bit (and imo P.William resembles Peter Philips in a way)

They all don't have the distictive Q.Mary features that for instance QEII, P.Anne, Louise Wessex and P.Mary (countess of Harewood) share

ok, i'll stop the OT now
Andrew's eyes remind me of his great-grandmother, Queen Alexandra.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Honeslty can't see any resemblance between the York girls and most of the RF. Beatrice looks like Sarah a bit...
Princess Beatrice is a near dead-ringer for the young Queen Victoria - who had auburn hair as a young woman. Beatrice's features are quite Hanoverian, especially her eyes.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:31 PM
Aristocracy

I think Her Majesty looks like Queen Mary
Old 10-27-2017, 10:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I think Her Majesty looks like Queen Mary
Queen Mary's genes seem to have been quite dominant. So much of what we consider the "Windsor look" in the current BRF is really a resemblance to May.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:25 PM
Aristocracy

I also see resemblance between Countess of Harewood and the current royal family
Old 10-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Commoner

There was talk of prince Andrew looks like the stable man
Old 10-27-2017, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Andrew looks very much like Queen Mary. Anyone that compares pics would know there wouldn't even be DNA testing required.

LaRae
Old 10-27-2017, 02:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't see a resemblance to Q Mary, who was distinguished looking, if not pretty. But who is the stable man ?
Old 10-27-2017, 04:04 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
I don't see a resemblance to Q Mary, who was distinguished looking, if not pretty. But who is the stable man ?
I believe that reference is to Henry George Reginald Molyneux Herbert, 7th Earl of Carnarvon KCVO KBE DL, Lord Porchester (Porchie) who was a very close friend of the Queen's and also her racing manager. These two friends were at their very best when they put their heads together to talk horses and racing and all that goes with it.

Some people assumed that the Queen had an affair with him that resulted in Andrew's birth. There really is no substance to that rumor. They remained close friends until his death in 2001. The Queen attended his funeral. Something she rarely does.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Keep looking at pictures of them at various ages.

LaRae

Tags
biography, british history, george v, pictures, princess may of teck, queen consort, queen mary, windsor