The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-21-2017, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I've read much the same.

There's also the story that she knew exactly what historic pieces had once belonged to the RF and she would make a comment about it if she saw it. I believe zher reasoning was that items that were once owned by the BRF must always be owned by the BRF.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Aristocracy

Well, to the BRF or to ME!

Old 03-21-2017, 07:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was pretty much that case that if Queen Mary was coming to visit, it was wise to put things you really valued out of sight. If HM caught her eye on something and said "Oh! This is really nice!" it kind of was code for making it a gift to HM.
Yes, that was true.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent

As I love antique objects de art and trinkets myself, I do have a sneaking sympathy for the old girl! However, it was a bit beyond the pale when she showed some of her latest aquisitions to the Grand Duchess Olga of Russia. This was a woman who had escaped from her homeland by a hairs breadth and realised that some of the things she was being shown had been in her parents' palaces before the revolution!
Old 03-22-2017, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was pretty much that case that if Queen Mary was coming to visit, it was wise to put things you really valued out of sight. If HM caught her eye on something and said "Oh! This is really nice!" it kind of was code for making it a gift to HM.
Yes exactly. I think there were even rumours that she helped herself to stuff, though I don't believe that. But while in many ways an excellent queen she was far from perfect
Old 06-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Gentry

I think it's a pity Queen Mary didn't have the chance to attend the coronation of the Queen.

It was 1953 but she would have worn jewels like it was 1903 again. It would have been a splendid sight!
Old 06-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
I think it's a pity Queen Mary didn't have the chance to attend the coronation of the Queen.

It was 1953 but she would have worn jewels like it was 1903 again. It would have been a splendid sight!

No kidding. As I am sure you noticed, as I did, the really nice jewels, the Cullinans, were never on QEQM. QM hung onto all of it until it passed to QE2. I am sure there had to be some resentment there. As there was some going the other way about the Grenville jewels.

Those were two very strong women that I have a feeling put on a show for the public on many occasions.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

True. She loved her granddaughter, Elizabeth II. She would have doted on Charles and Anne, more than her daughter-in-law did!
Old 06-08-2017, 08:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post
True. She loved her granddaughter, Elizabeth II. She would have doted on Charles and Anne, more than her daughter-in-law did!
Anne wasnt present at Westminster Abbey.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:20 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
No kidding. As I am sure you noticed, as I did, the really nice jewels, the Cullinans, were never on QEQM. QM hung onto all of it until it passed to QE2. I am sure there had to be some resentment there. As there was some going the other way about the Grenville jewels.

Those were two very strong women that I have a feeling put on a show for the public on many occasions.
The Queen Mother had the unfortunate combination of being Queen Consort for short period of time (just 15 years), during the Second World War and during the lifetime of Queen Mary.

During the war, all big state occasions were basically suspended. At the same time, Queen Mary kept the really big jewels to herself and when she died, the jewels simply skipped a generation.

Of the 3 consorts of the 20th century, the Queen Mother was surely the one most short of royal jewels.

In addition she was never Princess of Wales, so she really didn't have access to top jewellery like Alexandra and Mary.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:08 PM
Gentry

Is it true that Queen Mary received the German Crown Princess Cecilie in 1952?
Old 08-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Is it true that Queen Mary received the German Crown Princess Cecilie in 1952?
well it says so on Wikipedia, No idea whether it is true or not.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Majesty

It is said that Mary received Cecilia when she was in London for the baptism of her granddaughter Victoria Marina.

Cecilia was indeed present at the baptism of her granddaughter (older sister of the current duchess of Wellington). If she was indeed received by Queen Mary at the time, not certain.

In Profile: Hulton Royals Collection - European Royalty Photos and Images | Getty Images
Old 08-18-2017, 06:14 AM
Gentry

If true, the last time they had met had been in Berlin in 1913. How the world had changed since then.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I feel bad for feeling this way but I hate that she took so any of the Romanov's jewels.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-21-2017, 07:39 AM
Majesty

Perhaps though it's good that she did...otherwise think of how many would of be lost.

LaRae
Old 08-21-2017, 10:28 AM
Courtier

What Romanov jewels did Queen Mary acquire besides the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara? I know there are more but not sure if it is a lot or a little.

My understanding is that Queen Mary paid fair market value for the jewels she acquired and that George V supported exiled members of Russian royal family in other ways like grace and favor housing.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:11 AM
Nobility

I am currently reading two books on Queen Mary, in tandem. They are "Queen Mary" by James Pope-Hennessy and "Matriarch: Queen Mary and the House of Windsor" by Anne Edwards. I read a review on Amazon that suggested reading both at the same time, switching back and forth. I am reading up to a certain point in history and then switching books and reading up to that same point. I started with the Hennessy book and then switch to the Edwards book. I am finding that even though the Hennessy book is longer, the Edwards book is filling in some interesting details left out by the official biography. How reliable is the Edwards book?
Old 08-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Heir Apparent

It's been a good many years since I read Anne Edwards's 'Matriarch'. I can remember it as being an enjoyable read, but rather sparse in the footnote and sources department. I think James Pope-Hennessy's books are generally well-researched, so on the whole I'd trust JPH more.
I don't read much fiction, mainly histories and biographies and, as a rule of thumb, if these aren't well-sourced I don't trust them very much, unless there's another independent source elsewhere backing things up.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
What Romanov jewels did Queen Mary acquire besides the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara? I know there are more but not sure if it is a lot or a little.

My understanding is that Queen Mary paid fair market value for the jewels she acquired and that George V supported exiled members of Russian royal family in other ways like grace and favor housing.
Mary had a reputation of being a magpie. It was said that she often visited and hinted people should gift her what she liked. People hid things when she came to visit.

But yes, many of the jewels from Russia she did purchase. Buying them at auction you can't be sure she paid market value. Though may have paid more.

Two pieces beyond the tiara that I am aware of

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: Empress Marie Feodorovna's Sapphire Brooch

http://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2014...-sapphire.html

She also collected furniture and other items.

Tags
biography, british history, george v, pictures, princess may of teck, queen consort, queen mary, windsor