The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-18-2016, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBadger View Post
I read a memoir of Madame Wellington Koo some years back, and she was a friend of Queen Mary. She wrote about a visit where she and Queen Mary "smoked companionably." I don't know that she was a chain smoker, but she did smoke.

I think most smokers turn into chain smokers; it's rare to see an occasional smoker, though people may start out that way.
She probably was a heavy smoker.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:40 AM
Majesty

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ths-brenda-pye

"i find it extraordinary how casual they are"

Old 01-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Commoner

Whilst I was browsing the TV the other night I came across a documentary on the BBC. It was two parts the first about George V and the second about Queen Mary. It was first broadcast in 2012 but is available on the iPlayer until the end of January. I thought it might be of interest to some.

It may only be available for users in the United Kingdom.

BBC iPlayer - King George and Queen Mary: The Royals Who Rescued the Monarchy - 2. Queen Mary
Old 01-02-2017, 05:55 PM
Commoner

Oh, I watched that the other night too. You can also access it if you have a VPN.

George V had a nice speaking voice.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:42 PM
Courtier

It's also on YouTube.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually when I went to search for this documentary, I found that there are several relating to George V and Mary. I'm saving this link for later viewing in the deep dark of night when TV is boring and all is quiet on the home front.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+the+monarchy+
Old 03-02-2017, 02:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I have to say, remembering Queen Mary's public persona, I find it difficult to visualise her sitting there, doing the knit one, pearl one, puffing away with a ciggie hanging from her lips!!
I think that in private she was a bit more relaxed than the stiff public image, she felt she had to be "perfect" in public for the sake of the RF. but she might haeve enjoyed a cigartetee but felt it was "fast" for women to smoke, so she would never do so in public,
Old 03-02-2017, 03:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think that in private she was a bit more relaxed than the stiff public image, she felt she had to be "perfect" in public for the sake of the RF. but she might haeve enjoyed a cigartetee but felt it was "fast" for women to smoke, so she would never do so in public,
I have to agree with this. My mother had the same attitude towards women and smoking in public and she was of the generation that came after Mary. It just wasn't something that "ladies" did in public.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:23 AM
Aristocracy

This year marks the 150th anniversary of Queen Mary's birth.
Do you think that there'll be some kind of event to commemorate that?
Old 03-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

I doubt it. There might be a few lines in one of the newspapers, if an historically minded reporter is stuck for copy one day and looks it up. Few people alive today can even remember Queen Mary (who was a fabulous consort.) It's been almost 65 years since her death, just before Queen Elizabeth's Coronation.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

I dotn think she's popular today. She wasn't glamourous or beautiful like Alexandra.. and she was stiff and prim and proper...
Old 03-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Courtier

While not a household name and image like Queen Victoria, it looks like to me that Mary is a more enduring figure than Alexandra, I attribute it to three reasons:
1. she is the mother of Edward VIII.
2. she is the grandmother of the current Queen;
3. she has a cult following among royal jewelry aficionados.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think most people in Britain take that much notice of living members of the royal family, let alone one who has been dead for over sixty years. As a Royal watcher, however, I think she was a magnificent consort and a fascinating figure of the time.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

well she had good and bad points like everone. But I would think that she's not one of the popular "old dead royalss....
Old 03-19-2017, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Living royals:

Everyone knows who the Queen is. The most popular/famous head of state (many would say persom) in the world. Everyone also know who Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry is.

The Cambridges/Harry are togheter with HM the most famous peole in the UK.

Some know who Anne, Andrew, Edward and Sophie is.

Almost no one (at least not under 30) know who the Gloucesters/Kents is. (The reason for this is that the media don't write about them)

Deceased Royals:

People who are not interested in history don't know who Queen Mary is. They don't know who Queen Alexandra is either

People under 30 who are not interested in history know almost nothing about either Diana or Margaret.

But many under 30 know who the Queen Mother is.

Former monarchs:

Many of those who are not interested in history (including people under 30) know who Victoria and George VI is.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Mary isn't one of the popular dead royals.

But, to be fair, I think to be a "popular" dead royal your name has to either start with Victoria or end with Tudor. The Queen Mother is a bit different because she died in living memory, and Edward VIII is different because... well Nazis + love story.

I would add too, Mary was a consort. Consorts aren't remembered outside of historical types and/or royal watchers.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Mary isn't one of the popular dead royals.

But, to be fair, I think to be a "popular" dead royal your name has to either start with Victoria or end with Tudor. The Queen Mother is a bit different because she died in living memory, and Edward VIII is different because... well Nazis + love story.

I would add too, Mary was a consort. Consorts aren't remembered outside of historical types and/or royal watchers.
Agree! But almost none of the people I know (who are not interested history) know who Edward VIII is either.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I dotn think she's popular today. She wasn't glamourous or beautiful like Alexandra.. and she was stiff and prim and proper...
She had standards and was an exemplary Queen. I can respect both of those things. Not cuddly, not glamorous (though could rock the jewels like no one else...a huge ding ding ding for me).
Old 03-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd say she wore too many jewels, and she was well known for her love of objet d'arts which she bullied out of people...
Old 03-21-2017, 06:20 PM
Majesty

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was pretty much that case that if Queen Mary was coming to visit, it was wise to put things you really valued out of sight. If HM caught her eye on something and said "Oh! This is really nice!" it kind of was code for making it a gift to HM.

Tags
biography, british history, george v, pictures, princess may of teck, queen consort, queen mary, windsor