The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-06-2016, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The racy past of the last Princess of Cambridge, known as the People's Princess

An article on Queen Mary's mother the Duchess of Teck

The racy past of Princess Mary Adelaide, the last Princess of Cambridge | Daily Mail Online

Old 05-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Mary Adelaide was a throwback in personality and outlook to her Hanovarian ancestors, as was her brother George, Duke of Cambridge, IMO. All the gaiety, fecklessness, exuberance of the Regency era really, in spite of her birth date. She was lucky she found a mate (albeit later in life than was normal for a princess in the 1860's because of her girth) who allowed his wife her head.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Mary visited West Yorkshire during World War I.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The racy past of the last Princess of Cambridge, known as the People's Princess

An article on Queen Mary's mother the Duchess of Teck

The racy past of Princess Mary Adelaide, the last Princess of Cambridge | Daily Mail Online
Mary was lucky that she, against all odds, became a favorite of Queen Victoria's. I guess that QV simply knew who would become a good queen or not.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I think in many ways Mary was Victoria's sort of Princess, quite good looking, socially accomplished, quiet, (not extroverted like her mother) very respectable, not likely to shock anyone, and yet very capable, and happy to be supportive to her black sheep of a grandson, which was the main reason Mary was decided upon.
All the same, I do think that Britain, and Mary, escaped a bullet when poor old Prince Albert Victor died.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
All the same, I do think that Britain, and Mary, escaped a bullet when poor old Prince Albert Victor died.
Yeah, that is probably true. It is funny how history would repeat itself in the next generation though, when the oldest son yet again was a black sheep next to a more dutiful younger brother, who would call himself "George" as a king.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:30 AM
Serene Highness

Poor old Eddy, he seems to have been a kindly young man in his way, but I do find Mary's agreeing to marry him pretty shocking. Yes she was reared to do her best for the Crown but he would probalby have been a disastrous king..
Old 06-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Serene Highness

Well, we will never know for sure. But we can be pretty sure that Mary believed that things had happened for a good reason, so the "right" brother could become king twice.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Mary visited women factory workers.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:43 PM
Gentry

Did Queen Mary smoke?

The Netflix series 'The Crown' portrayed Queen Mary smoking frequently as she neared the end of her life, often in bed!
I'm sure they did a lot of research, but does anyone know if Queen Mary was a heavy smoker in old age? I didn't know this before.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:13 PM
Heir Apparent

There are conflicting reports that Mary died from lung cancer, and not from gastric illness. The reports of lung cancer may have led to conclusions she was a heavy smoker
Old 11-11-2016, 04:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
The Netflix series 'The Crown' portrayed Queen Mary smoking frequently as she neared the end of her life, often in bed!

I'm sure they did a lot of research, but does anyone know if Queen Mary was a heavy smoker in old age? I didn't know this before.

I wondered the same thing. Of all the bios I have seen, that has never come up before.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:58 AM
Heir Apparent

An anecdotal story of Queen Mary smoking in the officers' mess.

Smoking Story about Queen Mary

The News Chronicle newspaper apparently found out, goodness knows how, that Queen Mary smoked twice a day, once after dinner, once after tea! If Queen Mary did suffer from respiratory complaints in later life, it's far more likely, IMO, that she was a passive smoker. Her father-in-law, sons, and most of all, husband, were heavy smokers.

I'm not sure if Mary's father and three brothers smoked, but if they did and she was in their company for any length of time, that would set her up for lung trouble in later life. If Queen Mary was a smoker, even a social one, that wouldn't have helped either.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Yes I too was wondering too if Queen Mary was a smoker as portrayed in the Netflix series 'The Crown'.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:26 AM
Commoner

I read a memoir of Madame Wellington Koo some years back, and she was a friend of Queen Mary. She wrote about a visit where she and Queen Mary "smoked companionably." I don't know that she was a chain smoker, but she did smoke.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Nobility

I remember the first time I read about her cause of death that it was lung cancer, I remember being struck by it because that meant she and her son George VI died of the same disease within a short time of each other. Later on I read other accounts that her cause of death was stomach related.

I also remember reading that she was a smoker, did not know whether or not she was a heavy smoker. I think that one of the accounts was that she and George V spent their evenings in York Cottage, smoking, while he read and she knitted.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I have to say, remembering Queen Mary's public persona, I find it difficult to visualise her sitting there, doing the knit one, pearl one, puffing away with a ciggie hanging from her lips!!
Old 11-11-2016, 08:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

I didn't know she smoked, but looking at old pictures and small Video clips, she really didn't appear to be a nice woman, IMO. It's hard to even imagine George V as a nice person. Their faces looked very hard.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-11-2016, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Mary had a post-dinner cigarette.
themonarchist.blogspot.com/2009/11/smoking-story-about-queen
Old 11-18-2016, 08:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Mary organized a benefit lawn fete for children.

Tags
biography, british history, george v, pictures, princess may of teck, queen consort, queen mary, windsor