The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Interesting article! Queen Mary seems to have been a much more admirable person that I thought.
I definitely agree with you. Queen Mary truly defines the word matriarch.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
While watching these, I also stumbled across her Lying in State footage. I was confused over the standard, as there were crowned Tudor Roses on the one half I'd assume was the Teck part of her Heraldry, but that doesn't seem to fit w/German Royals/Nobles. Anyone got an answer to this?
Royal Standard of Mary of Teck, Queen Consort of George V

Coat of Arms of Mary of Teck, QueenConsort of the United Kingdom and Empress of India

Duke of Teck Coat of Arms

Old 10-11-2014, 08:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I wouldn't say there are "many errors" so much as there are points that are open to interpretation.

Quote:
Quote:
In my opinion, Queen Mary is by far and away the most influential Queen Mother that this country, in all its long history, has ever seen.
I don't agree. In my opinion, Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother was much more influential.
That's an opinion - it doesn't mean that the author of the article is wrong. Personally, I agree with the author; QEQM was an amazing Queen Consort and Dowager Queen, but I think a good chunk of what she did was a continuation of efforts initiated under Queen Mary. Or even things initiated by Queen Alexandra, which in turn were continued by Queen Mary.

Quote:
Quote:
She was never known as ‘Queen Mary, the Queen Mother’ during her time as Queen Mother. Rather, she was always referred to as Her Majesty, Queen Mary – further enhancing her role as the power behind the throne.
The same can be said of Queen Alexandra, she was never known as Queen Mother. Queen Elizabeth began to be styled as Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother because the normal style for the widow of a king, "Queen Elizabeth", would have been too similar to the style of her elder daughter, now Queen Elizabeth II.
That the same could be said about Queen Alexandra doesn't mean that it's inaccurate to say about Queen Mary. I'm not sure if Queen Alexandra was ever referred to as Queen Mother in any way, but Queen Mary pointedly asked to not be referred to as the Queen Mother officially, since she felt it made her sound old. She instead was referred to in the CC simply as "Queen Mary" during her sons' reigns, and "Queen Mary, the Queen Dowager" during her granddaughter's reign.

Quote:
Quote:
When King George VI died in 1952, Mary became the Queen Dowager.
No, she became Queen Dowager in 1936 when King George V died.
This isn't inaccurate so much as worded poorly. Queen Mary held the position of dowager queen the moment her husband died. However, she didn't use it as an official style until 1952, when her granddaughter's reign began. Then she became, in title/style the Queen Dowager.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Regarding Queen Mary's Royal Standard, it was the Royal Standard of the United Kingdom, impaled with the arms of her father, the Duke of Teck, and, (symbolising Mary's descent through her mother from the 'old' pre-Queen Victoria and Albert Royal Family), the arms of her grandfather, Prince Adolphus of Cambridge. This is the quarter that has the 'white Horse' of Hanover and hearts.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Regarding Queen Mary's Royal Standard, it was the Royal Standard of the United Kingdom, impaled with the arms of her father, the Duke of Teck, and, (symbolising Mary's descent through her mother from the 'old' pre-Queen Victoria and Albert Royal Family), the arms of her grandfather, Prince Adolphus of Cambridge. This is the quarter that has the 'white Horse' of Hanover and hearts.

Queen Mary's standards and arms are my favourite of the recent British consorts (Queen Alexandra is a close second).

Mary's do a beautiful job of telling her ancestry. On the one side, you have her husband's arms, with the lions of England, the lion of Scotland, and the harp of Ireland. On the other side you have the arms of her maternal grandfather, himself a British prince, quartered with those of her father. As such you get the symbols of the UK again, as well as the lions of Brunswick, the lion of Lunenburg, and the horse of Westfalen (which together symbolize Hanover) marked by the hearts and cross that represent her grandfather personally, and the shield of Teck over the standard of Württemberg (which itself represents Württemberg and Hohenzollern, and was the arms of QM's paternal grandfather).
Old 10-12-2014, 01:25 AM
Heir Apparent

I wonder where the Stag supporter came from. The royal arms of the UK has a unicorn on that side.

Interesting the Queen Mum and Camilla have a different left supporter also. Kate is the unicorn which is the same as William's.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-12-2014, 01:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

The stag supporter comes from the arms for the Duchy of Württemberg - the Tecks were of the House of Württemberg.

The boar that is supporting Camilla's arms come from her father's arms (there is a boar in them). I would guess that the lion that supports the Queen Mother's arms also comes from her father's arms (the colouring is different, but there is a lion on the Bowes-Lyon arms). Queen Alexandra also had her own supporter, a naked man from the Royal Arms of Denmark. I would assume that Kate used the unicorn because, unlike QM and QA, her family's arms don't have a supporter of their own, and unlike QEQM or Camilla, her family's arms don't have an animal in them (you can't really have an acorn act as a supporter). It does kind of make me wonder if Sarah's arms, when she was married, were supported by a unicorn or a very large honeybee....
Old 10-12-2014, 06:01 AM
Heir Apparent

No the honeybee remained uncomfortably on the thistle on Sarah's coat of arms, (her father Major Ron's, which were impaled with the royal standard.) She had the unicorn as her supporter, like Kate.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I wonder where the Stag supporter came from. The royal arms of the UK has a unicorn on that side.

Interesting the Queen Mum and Camilla have a different left supporter also. Kate is the unicorn which is the same as William's.

Sophie also has a different left supporter on her Coat of Arms. Looks a bit like a blue dragon of some sort.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-13-2014, 02:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sophie's supporter is a wyvern, which is a creature with the head and wings of a dragon, a reptilian body, 2 legs, and a barbed tail. I'm not why she has a wyvern as a supporter, as her family's arms have a lion on them.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Kate also has a different left supporter.
Quote:
he Supporter assigned to The Duchess of Cambridge is a white hind, which has had continuing Royal connections in England since the 14th Century. The lion is the Supporter of The Duke of Cambridge’s Coat of Arms.
http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRo...e/Emblems.aspx

It's atradition. One supporter is from husband's arms, one supporter is personal for every consort.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Sophie's supporter is a wyvern, which is a creature with the head and wings of a dragon, a reptilian body, 2 legs, and a barbed tail. I'm not why she has a wyvern as a supporter, as her family's arms have a lion on them.
A golden wyvern is believed to have been the symbol of the medieval kingdom of Wessex.
Wyvern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-13-2014, 08:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for a correction. I just saw a white deer/horse thing but total missed that it didn't have the horn.

Kate's coat is quite matchy to William's with the same colors in the Middleton arms and the hind thing is sort like a doe to William's buck -the unicorn. With those acorns, I would have gone with a heraldic red squirrel for a supporter :)

Old 10-13-2014, 12:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Kate's coat is quite matchy to William's with the same colors in the Middleton arms and the hind thing is sort like a doe to William's buck -the unicorn. With those acorns, I would have gone with a heraldic red squirrel for a supporter :)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DoCarms.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	292422
Old 10-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
I love it! Shall we name the squirrel Charles?
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Nobility

Of course, because it's a RED squirrel!
Old 10-15-2014, 02:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Kate also has a different left supporter.
http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRo...e/Emblems.aspx

It's atradition. One supporter is from husband's arms, one supporter is personal for every consort.
Thank you for this correction, I posted without actually looking at the supporter for Kate's arms.

It's interesting that this is a tradition that has extended to Sophie in recent years - she has her own personal supporter - but not to any of the non-direct line wives before her. Sarah didn't have a personalized supporter, nor do the Duchesses of Kent or Gloucester, or Princess Michael. Going back further than that it's harder to tell, but between from Queen Caroline to Prince Albert, none of the Consorts seemed to have had their own supporters either. Interestingly, Prince Albert's arms were rather unique for a husband's; they quartered the royal coat of arms of the UK differenced and the arms of Saxony.

Quote:
A golden wyvern is believed to have been the symbol of the medieval kingdom of Wessex.
Wyvern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Okay, that's absolutely adorable. I love it.

Quote:
Thanks for a correction. I just saw a white deer/horse thing but total missed that it didn't have the horn.

Kate's arms are very matchy, as are are Sophie's. In a lot of ways it's nice, because arms can be... well they can quickly become a bit of an eye sore. At the same time, though it almost makes them look as though the arms themselves have been designed with the intention of impaling them with the royal arms in mind. In contrast, when you look at Camilla or Sarah's arms you can tell that they were created with no regard for what the post-marriage arms would look like - for better or for worse.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Queen Mary would prod King George V with her umbrella when she believed he spoke too long in public.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:01 PM
Heir Apparent

George and Mary were totally devoted to each other. It's tempting to wonder what sort of married life Mary would have had with Prince Eddy, who was quite louche in my opinion.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:19 AM
Serene Highness

As sad as it sounds, I believe that both Mary and everybody else was better off with George V.

Tags
biography, british history, george v, pictures, princess may of teck, queen consort, queen mary, windsor