The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks a lot for the anecdote, Vecchiolarry....

Are you really "vecchio" ?

Old 07-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchiolarry View Post
Hi,

My favourite George V and Queen Mary story is one that the King loved to tell over dinner often:

The nearly blind Queen Olga of Greece was once walking through Windsor Great Park with G & M and spotted a nude statue of Lady Godiva.
"Ah, dear Queen Victoria!!", proclaimed the Greek Queen....
G & M had a great laugh and often dined out on that story...

Larry
I know this story too but the version I read was Queen Olga was being wheeled through the corridors of Windsor Castle and when she spotted, through her nearly blind eyes, a statuette on a table of Lady Godiva, she said, "Queen Victoria." It was up to a embarrassed servant who was wheeling the Queen to correct her and say, "Lady Godiva, ma'am."

Old 07-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Renata:
I'm 69; 70 on February 12th, 2012, so Yes, I guess I am 'vecchio'!!!!
But, I don't feel old yet - and I'm still 'upright'!!!

VasillisosMarkos:
Your version of the Olga story would seem more plausible than mine.
The 'statuette' indoors is probably true, since the last time I was in Windsor Great Park, I went looking for Godiva's 'statue' and never found one.
Thanks for your post!!

Larry
Old 07-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Serene Highness

Hi Larry,

I just wish I could remember where I read that anecdote. It appears that the Edward VII (Olga's brother-in-law) and George V (her nephew by marriage) were both very fond of Olga and she spent some time visiting them at Windsor Castle.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Out of all the other royals from the past,I would love to meet Queen Mary! She seems very interesting,elegant,and has a humorous side to her.

I would love to have a cup of tea with her!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Aristocracy

ITA! I read the James Pope-Hennessey (not sure of the spelling) biography of her many years ago, and I've been fascinated by her ever since.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkrcwi View Post
ITA! I read the James Pope-Hennessey (not sure of the spelling) biography of her many years ago, and I've been fascinated by her ever since.
I would love to read that book!

By the way,I love how she was portrayed in Shawcross's bio on the Queen Mother.She seemed like a warm and caring mother in law despite her "cold" demeaner.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 AM
Serene Highness

And Shawcross writes that Queen Mary was the only member of the Royal Family who was not amused by Princess Margaret's antics. But she adored the Princess Elizabeth and told the Duke and Duchess of York how much she and the King enjoyed having the "baby" with them while the royal couple traveled on behalf of the monarch.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Administrator

A well-presented 8 minute "Tribute to Queen Mary"

Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Serene Highness

My dear Warren,

Thanks for posting this video. What an amazing woman. I love the way she waved to the crowds, never raising her arm above her shoulder but keeping her elbow near her waist. I imagine this allowed to wave for a long period of time without causing pain.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:27 AM
Serene Highness

I am watching a fascinating documentary on Queen Mary. I have always been curious about the Royals' connection to charity work and it seems that Queen Mary was pivitol. Have just discovered that for all practical purposes Queen Mary and King George were the template for the modern British monarchy.

King George and Queen Mary: The Royals Who Rescued the Monarchy (Part2 BBC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
At 3:40 there is a heart-stopping moment when a child - is it Princess Elizabeth? - is placed on the railing of the balcony. Just the thought of it makes me dizzy! I'm a wuss!
Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Commoner

Recently I was watching a documentary about King George V and Queen Mary and one of the people being interviewed said that Mary had quite a strong German accent. Would this have been correct? As Mary grew up in England and her mother was English I would have thought she would have had an English accent.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
It is not something you would probably see happening with the royal family of today but she was in safe hands. It was Princess Margaret.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Majesty

Nice Portrait of HM Queen Mary:
http://royaltyspeaking.tumblr.com/image/38439113299
Old 12-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
And Shawcross writes that Queen Mary was the only member of the Royal Family who was not amused by Princess Margaret's antics. But she adored the Princess Elizabeth and told the Duke and Duchess of York how much she and the King enjoyed having the "baby" with them while the royal couple traveled on behalf of the monarch.
Queen Mary was not one to tolerate bad behavior. I imagine she would have had something to say about more than one member of the BRF's behavior in recent years. She was a lady of very high standards.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Out of all the other royals from the past,I would love to meet Queen Mary! She seems very interesting,elegant,and has a humorous side to her.

I would love to have a cup of tea with her!
If you ever had tea with Queen Mary, it would be better at her premises rather than yours in case she saw a trinket at your home that she fancied and confiscated it, being an avid collector of various objets d'art. People had to hide their treasures when she came to their houses for that very reason because she had a keen eye and great knowledge of valuables that she always wanted to add to the royal collection, even if it belonged to someone else!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Courtier

Queen Mary's hair

What kind of hair style did Queen Mary have later in her life?

It looks like a combination of a finger wave & cornrows?

Was this her natural hair or a wig?

Does anyone know if this hairstyle was unique to Queen Mary or did anyone else sport it?

http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p...-teck-1947.jpg

Old 05-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
What kind of hair style did Queen Mary have later in her life?

It looks like a combination of a finger wave & cornrows?

Was this her natural hair or a wig?

Does anyone know if this hairstyle was unique to Queen Mary or did anyone else sport it?

http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p...-teck-1947.jpg
I think it's more likely a combination of a finger wave with naturally curly hair. In pictures of her when she's younger she had very curly hair that she piled on the top of her head. In pictures of her when she's older it looks like there's a continuation of this style but with shorter hair. I doubt it's a wig.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Nobility

Maybe she had a wig for each tiara. She just popped the whole thing on to save time. After all, she had to pile on all the other stuff, and I am sure that took time.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Mary of Teck was born on May 26th,1867

Tags
biography, british history, george v, pictures, princess may of teck, queen consort, queen mary, windsor