The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 05-31-2012, 05:43 PM
Tsar bobo Iv's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: knoxville, United States
Posts: 223
do you think she got alone with her sister inlaws
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Thena's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 516
My impression from some of the biographies was that Vicky actually helped pick out spouses for her siblings. She was influential in bringing Princess Alexandra to the attention of the queen as a potential spouse for Bertie. So I am sure that she got along with them to an extent.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 02-12-2014, 09:13 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Albuquerque, United States
Posts: 14
Vicki was determined that all of her sisters marry Germans or Prussians. Her ladies maid came up with Alix of Denmark when Bertie emphatically refused to take any of the ugly German princesses Vicki offered up, including one she admitted had "black teeth, if any". Queen V admitted that Bertie would only marry an attractive princess and Alix was it, even though her being Danish was a problem that only grew larger, as soon after, Prussia went to war against Denmark. Later, she pushed for Helena to marry Christian, a German 15 years older than Helena, and tried to get Louise to marry another German Prince. She would have had them all in Germany, if she had her way. Good thing she didn't, IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 02-12-2014, 09:34 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 20,575
I've been reading more and more on Victoria and her strained relationship with her son Wilhelm.I wonder did Victoria have a better relationship with her other children?

Victoria also had a strained relationship with her mother in law,Augusta of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach.
__________________
25th of August 1270-Death of Louis IX ,King of France.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Albuquerque, United States
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I've been reading more and more on Victoria and her strained relationship with her son Wilhelm.I wonder did Victoria have a better relationship with her other children?

Victoria also had a strained relationship with her mother in law,Augusta of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach.
After one of her little boys died, she was only close to the three youngest girls. She had bad relationships with older sons and her oldest daughter, Charlotte. She was too much like her own mother, always criticizing, nothing was good enough, wrote about how ugly some were and how stupid and "backward" etc.

For a brilliant woman she had no skills in dealing with, or judging people. She constantly was fooled by Bismark, the chancellor, as well as her son Willy. They both made fools of her time and again. A very sad story, all in all, her life.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 02-19-2014, 04:42 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 20,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beberoyal View Post
After one of her little boys died, she was only close to the three youngest girls. She had bad relationships with older sons and her oldest daughter, Charlotte. She was too much like her own mother, always criticizing, nothing was good enough, wrote about how ugly some were and how stupid and "backward" etc.

For a brilliant woman she had no skills in dealing with, or judging people. She constantly was fooled by Bismark, the chancellor, as well as her son Willy. They both made fools of her time and again. A very sad story, all in all, her life.
Many thanks,I think you've answered all my questions on the Empress as a mother!!
__________________
25th of August 1270-Death of Louis IX ,King of France.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 02-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Albuquerque, United States
Posts: 14
It is ironic, and sad, that between Vicki and Bertie, always compared by their parents, it was Bertie as Edward VII who fulfilled his task in life with success, and brilliant, determined Vicki who bungled almost everything she put her hand to, after she married. IMO, a great deal of her failures can be attributed to her parents. The Queen insisted she remain a British princess in Prussia, worst possible advise, and Albert put way too much on to her shoulders, with his idea that she could help unite Germany. And then she gained her idea of parenting ( constantly scolding and insulting) from the Queen as well. Poor Vicki, such a sad life.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 01-04-2018, 11:31 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 590
I have just found an interesting link to what appears to be some of Princess "Vicky's" letters. Is this a book that someone has put on the Internet?
Link: https://archive.org/stream/lettersof...82mbp_djvu.txt
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 01-05-2018, 01:47 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,843
Probably. It's taken from a collection published in the 1920s, edited by ex courtier Frederick Ponsonby, so it's way out of copyright.

I love collections of letters, especially those like 'Dearest Mama' (letters between Queen Victoria and Crown Princess Vicky when she was a young married woman in Prussia.) Edited by Roger Fulford. They are fascinating, full of opinions and family gossip.

And, sadder but still interesting, 'Beloved and Darling Child' letters between mother and daughter 1886-1901, encompassing Vicky's widowhood and her last illness.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 01-05-2018, 10:37 AM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Probably. It's taken from a collection published in the 1920s, edited by ex courtier Frederick Ponsonby, so it's way out of copyright.

I love collections of letters, especially those like 'Dearest Mama' (letters between Queen Victoria and Crown Princess Vicky when she was a young married woman in Prussia.) Edited by Roger Fulford. They are fascinating, full of opinions and family gossip.

And, sadder but still interesting, 'Beloved and Darling Child' letters between mother and daughter 1886-1901, encompassing Vicky's widowhood and her last illness.
Thank you. I will have to print out the online document. I hate reading digital books. I guess I am just old fashioned. :) :) I plan to purchase those books two books you mentioned. I found a beautiful copy of the Fulford book for about $45 online. I may spend some Christmas money on it. I will look for the other book. I want to read a little more about the Hohenzollerns before I read them to get some context on the historical times in Prussia that Vicky was living in. Do you know of any books about them or about Prussia during that time?
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 01-05-2018, 12:17 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5,843
For just an overview on the three Kaisers, and how the first became Emperor of Germany I think 'The Kaisers' by Theo Aronson is fine. You can just dip into it as its in three sections.

I hope you eventually read 'An uncommon Woman: The Empress Friedrich' by Hannah Pakula. I can't recommend this bio highly enough, and it's got quite a lot about Vicky's in-laws as well!
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 01-05-2018, 02:28 PM
duchessrachel's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Birmingham, United States
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
For just an overview on the three Kaisers, and how the first became Emperor of Germany I think 'The Kaisers' by Theo Aronson is fine. You can just dip into it as its in three sections.

I hope you eventually read 'An uncommon Woman: The Empress Friedrich' by Hannah Pakula. I can't recommend this bio highly enough, and it's got quite a lot about Vicky's in-laws as well!
Thanks for those recommendations. I will definitely read those books.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 08-03-2018, 09:29 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 4,006
Crown Princess Victoria envisioned Prussia taking a leadership role in the unification of the German states. However, unlike the vision of Bismark, Victoria believed a united Germany would be based on liberal ideas of freedom, democracy, representative government and firmly defined constitutional monarchy.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
biography, british history, empress frederick, frederick iii, kaiser, pictures, prince albert, princess royal, princess victoria, prussia, queen victoria, queen victoria's children, wilhelm ii


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen Victoria (1819-1901) TOMMIX British Royal History 515 Yesterday 09:31 PM
Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (1900-1974) and Princess Alice (1901-2004) Catharine British Royal History 181 08-01-2018 09:13 PM
Emperor Napoleon I (1769-1821) and Wives (Empress Josephine and Empress Marie-Louise) Toledo The Imperial House of Bonaparte 53 07-31-2018 09:18 PM
Emperor Friedrich III (1831-1888) and Victoria (Empress Frederick) (1840-1901) Marengo The Royal House of Prussia and Princely House of Hohenzollern 29 06-05-2018 08:32 PM
Mexico, the Mexican Empire, Emperor Maximilian & Empress Carlota, née of Belgium Etienne,DuchessofBurgundy Other Non-Reigning Houses and Historical Monarchies 61 05-28-2018 03:50 AM




Popular Tags
antony armstrong-jones british royal family camilla carl gustaf charles chris o'neill crown princess elisabeth crown princess victoria current events current events thread dailyfail duchess of calabria duchessofsussex dutch royal family family fashion general news helena hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hereditary princess sophie infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia ińaki urdangarín juan carlos king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia meghan markle news parliament porphyria prince alexander prince charles prince daniel prince gabriel prince guillaume prince harry prince harry of wales prince louis prince nicholas prince oscar princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess of belgium princess victoria queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima royal royal ancestry royal geneology royal wedding smith spanish royal family state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family theatre van belgië victoria wedding wedding of prince harry windsor castle



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018
Jelsoft Enterprises