The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Royal Highness

I have a feeling both Wilhelm and Carol of Romania knew how bad off their mothers were....and in a covert act of coldness.... delayed either medical treatment, ignored the advice of having the best doctors tend to them...and in Queen Marie's case, PURPOSELY hastened her death by forcing her to take a train home to die.... Both of them are burning in hell for the sins they committed.....both were sick, malicious men...

Old 11-13-2009, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Victoria, Crown Princess of Prussia in 1867

portrait by Franz Xaver Winterhalter

from Wikipedia Commons - Public Domain - copyright expired
Painting is part of HM the Queen British Royal Collections, Buckingham Palace

Old 02-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Nobility

Can anyone suggest a good read on Empress Frederick?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaLandgrave View Post
Can anyone suggest a good read on Empress Frederick?
Definitely Hannah Pakula's An Uncommon Woman. Gives you a good comprehensive coverage of Empress Frederick's life and all the major figures in her life are featured.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Yes, that was a great book.

You might also try Vicky: Princess Royal of Great Britian and Empress of Germany its by Daphne Bennett.

Has anyone read the letters between the Vicky and her mother?

Vicky certainly was not the best mother but she was a woman of her times. She certainly didn't deserve to be treated by Wilhem the way she was.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I've read one of the volumes that have been published. What struck me about it was how Queen Victoria and her daughter would talk about international events in terms of uncles and aunts and cousins and nieces and nephews.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

Has anyone read the letters between the Vicky and her mother?
No, but I have it. I'll have to check exactly where I put that book!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Sorry Russo, it doesn't count unless you've actually read it.

=

=
Old 02-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Pfft! Pfft!
Hey, how 'bout that Winterhalter, eh? *Russo skillfully changes the subject* I was reading in Hesse that he spent his summers in England painting Victoria et. all.
http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikiped...n_Victoria.jpg

Old 02-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I've read one of the volumes that have been published. What struck me about it was how Queen Victoria and her daughter would talk about international events in terms of uncles and aunts and cousins and nieces and nephews.
I've heard that as well. And I heard the same thing about George V as it relates to WWI.

I almost purchased one of the volumes on ebay, but was outbid at the last moment. I must check it out again.

Its a shame that Beatrice burnt a lot of Queen Victoria's letters.....the stories that they could tell.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Serene Highness

Wasn't Vicky unsparing in her criticism of Wilhelm while writing to Queen Victoria? It doesn't sound like Vicky turned a blind eye to her son's faults; instead, she was very honest in appraising his arrogance and cruelty. If she had been a better mother and her in-laws had not interfered with the child rearing, I wonder if Wilhelm would have turned out differently?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Nobility

I think a great deal of Wilhelm's issues stem from his paternal grandparents and Bismark... and his withered arm being the excuse of many (even Queen Victoria) for turning a blind eye
Old 02-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Wilhem definitely got away with more than he should. Snubbing Bertie when he came to Europe, treating his parents (and his younger siblings like dirt), ransacking the Palace after his father died, etc. But I am sorry, there are tons of people who have terrible childhoods and aliments and they don't grow up with nasty personalities. So there is no excuse in my book for Wilhem's.

Bismarck certainly backed the wrong horse, as they (Bismarck and Wilhem) were not able to have a long working relationship. It was very interesting to read in An Uncommon Woman, how he came to Vicky for guidance. It shows what a mature and reasonable woman she was by not throwing a lot of it back in his face.

Its interesting to note that Bertie (Uncle Edward) stated that William would bring the world to war after his death.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Nobility

AMEN!! Willy was a bitter pill, in general.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Its interesting to note that Bertie (Uncle Edward) stated that William would bring the world to war after his death.
This quote illustrates how perceptive Edward VII was about world affairs and it is a shame that his death robbed the world of his diplomacy prior to the start of WWI
Old 02-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Exactly...he called it so accurately just as his son (George V) did about his son (Edward VIII).

Imagine what Edward VII could have done if he had been trained properly?! Or Princess Victoria if she was the heir. Really....I think Queen Victoria and Prince Albert did a pretty decent job of raising their kids. Or at least the nannies did. A couple of hiccups and minor scandals...but they turned out alright. It was their grandchildren and great grandchildren that turned out to be the problem!.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Nobility

As history well shows us.... there were loads of trouble with the grandchildren and great-grandchildren!! Snakes alive....
Old 04-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Gentry

I think perhaps she felt guilty for her son's deformed arm, and that also contributed. I can see him telling her it is all her fault.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Well, maybe he didn't tell her clearly, but surely Wilhelm thought it was all Victoria's fault. This was one of the reason of his hate towards her.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:10 AM
Gentry

Wilhelm's feelings towards his mother were very complex. Some of his letters to her indicate emotions far from hatred. I would describe it [from his point of view] as a love-hate relationship.

Tags
biography, british history, empress frederick, frederick iii, kaiser, pictures, prince albert, princess royal, princess victoria, prussia, queen victoria, queen victoria's children, wilhelm ii